It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Microsoft Concedes Scratch Problems On Halo 3 Discs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Microsoft Concedes Scratch Problems On Halo 3 Discs

www.informationweek.com

Within hours of Tuesday's widely-hyped Halo 3 launch, the company was conceding that faulty packaging caused scratches on an unspecified number of game discs that found their way into customers' hands.

Microsoft said the problem affects the $70.00 Halo 3 Limited Edition -- both the game disc itself and an accompanying Essentials disc. It insists the problem is cosmetic, and doesn't affect the discs' functionality.

Microsoft was forced to implement the disc replacement program after numerous Xbox 360 users complained that the machines were leaving scratch marks on their game discs and rendering them unplayable. Several Xbox users hit with the problem have filed lawsuits against Microsoft, seeking class action status.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Wow, all the hype for this game, and the cost... Poor gamers. Was this really just cosmetic as they claim, or are there many copies that are not working?

www.informationweek.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Well Microsoft is replacing them fee of charge so the class action sue will be nulled.

This is a packaging problem not a disk problem.

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Microsoft has had so many problems since the launch of the 360. I own one, actually it is my second one. The first died of the infamous red ring of death. The only thing that has kept me playing the 360 is the games and xbox live. Once the PS3 starts cranking out the good games I may finally switch. I had a game scratched by my new 360 recently. Nothing out of the ordinary, the console was not moved and it was in the horizontal position. It still rendered my game unplayable, but I was able to take it back and get credit because it was less than a week old.

Now they are shipping discs scratched. geez!

Maybe they should stop manufacturing their goods in China and implement some Quality Assurance!

The wireless racing wheel is also having problems now.

What next?

They know the problem with the 360 red ring of death is the high heat generated. But instead of building and selling consoles with a cooler chipset, Microsoft continues to build consoles with remaining stock of chips that are overheating the consoles.

As I was replacing my dead 360 at Gamestop I asked the manager how many PS3's have been returned defective since launch. He replied that only one has come back!

Microsoft needs to wake up quick before anything else goes wrong.

You guys better not "F" up my COD4 disc!

[edit on 26-9-2007 by on_yur_6]

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 10:21 PM
link   
i'm glad i dont play like i use to,if that happened to me.. i probably would have chucked my 360 out the window.:bnghd:

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by on_yur_6

Hubby has a 360 and he bought some cooling thing for it. It was like $45 and I want to say it's a fan of sorts.(no laughing LOL) He's noticed it's helped a lot. He also has a small table fan pointed at the console, just in case.

He had to send his PS3 back when he first got it. He was playing Resistance the Fall of Man and the PS3 locked up and wouldn't even open to get the game disc out. He got a new one and they got the disc out and sent it to him. He was so irked by that, that he has refused to even play the game again. I guess he got really far into the game.

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by vckums

I have the Intercooler fan on the back of my 360 and on the back of the one that died. I have now figured out a way to keep it a lot cooler. The bottom of the 360 was smoking how when sitting horizontal on the shelf. I fabricated a couple of blocks about 2"x2"x8" and painted them black. I placed these under my 360 to elevate it and let more airflow underneath the console. It is now much, much cooler. The 360 does look like it is floating though.

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 10:53 AM
link   
well this makes me happy I got legendary, though I totaly freaked out when my xbox made the slightest little scratching noise, nothing bad happened, but it freaked me out, maybe it was me just playing it for 10 hours straight without getting up, my hand is still in the shape of the controller.

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by on_yur_6

I had mentioned that idea to him when he was thinking of getting the cooling thing. He said the bottom wasn't where it was hot, only the back. I'm definately going to push this issue with him and tell him it's better to be safe then sorry.

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by vckums

After he has been on awhile say 30min to an hour, have him turn it off, lift the console and feel how hot it is underneath.

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 05:23 PM
link   
I was talking to him about raising it, and our roomate walks out and hears our conversation. He chimed in and said "Dude, that's the first thing you do when you get a console is raise it so it doesn't have a chance to overheat". I admit I giggled a bit and so now he's tinkering with ways to raise it.

new topics

top topics

join