It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Problem: Northern Pike...Solution: Poison the Lake and Kill ALL the Fish?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Unfortunately the problem of non-native fish species taking over bodies of water from native species is one that has been going on for years, in lakes and rivers all over North America, and it's a sad fact that after all else fails, the only solution left is the use of poisons. When poison is the only solution, it isn't just "any old poison will suffice" either, many years of research has gone into finding or creating one that not only kills the problem fish, but must prove harmless to all animal species that feed on them! Bears, river otters, raccoons, turtles, snakes and a variety of diving ducks, puddle ducks and wading birds for instance have to be immune to the poison, as does what caused the problem in the first place...humans!
In lakes where live bait is allowed, anglers should use only minnows that are native to the lake and any streams and rivers that flow into it. If they don't catch the minnows themselves, then they should buy them from reputable bait shops only. Fishing with non-native minnows isn't the only problem brought on by humans, there's another that few folk like to talk about for fear of being labelled "racist". Asian immigrants, the Vietnamese especially, will because of their mainly fish diet will go to great lengths to stock easily accessible lakes and rivers with fish species that are more to their liking, and not giving a hoot about the natural ecology of those lakes and rivers! I'm sure most of us have heard of those carp that have knocked anglers right out of their boats, causing more than a few serious injuries!
It's a hell of a thing to say, and even though I do not like it, I think the solution will have to include the use of a species specific poison, then perhaps the closing of the affected lakes to fishing for a number of years. Heavier fines should be imposed on the violators of fishing regulations, and perhaps even the loss of fishing priveleges for life!
Somehow the flash of a carp as it turns in the water is something I don't find quite as appealing as that reflected off the Cut Throat Trout as it turns sharply after a minnow in some sparkling, pristine mountain lake!

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

If Lobsters feel no pain why do they scream when you drop them in boiling water alive?

Guessing huh or do you have a fish-brain and speak from that kind of insight?

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   
The pike problem is no different thak the whitetail problem and both ar an easy fix. Just let the humans fish for free and take all they want

<< 1  2   >>

join