It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Magna Carta Is Going on the Auction Block

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 04:06 AM
link   

Magna Carta Is Going on the Auction Block

www.nytimes.com

It is the document that laid the foundation for fundamental principles of English law. Angry colonists complained long before the Boston Tea Party that King George III had violated it. The men who drafted the United States Constitution and the Bill of Rights borrowed from it.

It is Magna Carta, agreed to by King John of England in 1215 and revised and reaffirmed through the 13th century. The tail dangling off the page is a royal seal.

And it is about to go on sale.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 04:06 AM
link   
This very important document, which lead to the development of law as we know it is to be auctioned by Sotheby's in New York.
It's the only copy in the US and the only copy in private ownership.

I'd really like to see one of the big museums buy this, or failing that, the buyers loan it for public display.

After all, the historical importance of this document is immense.

www.nytimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 04:24 AM
link   
I don't see how this thing can be sold. Its a historical document of major importance. it would be like sellign the Bill of Rights. Some rich guy should not be just able to up and buy it as some sort of conversation piece

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 04:48 AM
link   
Surely this document should be in (and owned by) the National Museum!
It is a foundation document of British Law and as such should be preserved.
I can't imagine the Decleration of Independance or the Versailles Treaty being auctioned - can you?

[edit on 25-9-2007 by Havalon]

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 04:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Havalon

It's one of 17 (?) still in existence - the others are owned by the UK (including some ecclesiastical institutes) and Australians.

This one is the only one in private hands - see the article for the owners (you might be surprised) and the reasons for the sale.

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 05:01 AM
link   
The irony of the Magna Carta being sold at a time when Canada and the USA are doing their best to dismantle its heritage in law absolutely boggles the mind.

The script for the enslavement of the English-speaking world will undoubtedly next take a Kafkaesque turn with the discovery that Dick Cheney has turned into a cockroach.

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 06:18 AM
link   
Dag-Nabbit!!! I should have known Ross Perot was behind all this.

I think the reasons for him selling it are very noble, if they are in fact real.

Could always be a cover story, but with his contributions in the past, I don't see it as being one.

There is enough money floating around for some organization or group to snatch it up and put it on display. Whether they value it enough, will remain to be seen.

Although heralded as the most important copy of the Magna Carta, I don't see any problem with him selling it. With 16 other copies, not much should be lost .

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 11:37 AM
link   
I dislike the idea that something so ancient and important can be bought and sold. I hope one of the big US museums manages to get the winning bid so that they can make sure it's properly cared for and can be seen by the public instead of being locked away in some ludicrously rich person's home. It is not only one of the basic tenants of UK law but of laws right round the democratic world.

[edit on 25/9/07 by Ste2652]

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ste2652
can be seen by the public instead of being locked away in some ludicrously rich person's home.

It was on loan to the National Archives and was displayed alongside the original Declaration of Independence and U.S. Constitution. I saw it there last year.

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 03:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
I don't see how this thing can be sold. Its a historical document of major importance. it would be like sellign the Bill of Rights. Some rich guy should not be just able to up and buy it as some sort of conversation piece

rich guys buy our stockmarket...our poloticians with bribes....which leads to certain people buying anytiugn therough power....whats differernt about this?

top topics

join