It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cheney mulled Israeli strike on Iran: Newsweek

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2007 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Cheney mulled Israeli strike on Iran: Newsweek

www.washingtonpost.com

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Vice President Dick Cheney had at one point considered asking Israel to launch limited missile strikes at an Iranian nuclear site to provoke a retaliation, Newsweek magazine reported on Sunday.

The news comes amid reports that Israel launched an air strike against Syria this month over a suspected nuclear site.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.worldnewsaustralia.com.au
www.msnbc.msn.com

posted on Sep, 23 2007 @ 06:26 PM
link   
This is another strange story discovered while looking for more info on the seized nuke material story.

It derives from the Oct 1, 2007 edition of Newsweek and much like the other story, unnamed sources fuel the article.

It was picked up by Reuters, then the Wash Post, and it is slowly spreading as the other story did.

If you go to the msnbc link (partner of newsweek, I'm guessing), you can read the article and this bit of info is buried in the body of the story.

Once again, I am posting for the members awareness.

www.washingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Edit: sp

[edit on 2007/9/23 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 08:08 AM
link   
This one is spreading around the world much like the snatched nuke material story, now being reported here:

Cheney eyed Israeli strike on Iranian nuclear reactor - mag -- US

Iran, Israel ratchet up tensions -- ASIA

Cheney mulled luring Iran into war with Israel: report -- France

Claim of missile plan against Iran -- New Zealand

Report: Cheney drew up plans for Israeli-US strike on Iran -- Israel

Cheney reportedly wants war with Iran -- Malaysia

Cheney mulled Iran-Israel war: report -- Australia

All are based on the Newsweek article which was based on unnamed sources.

[edit on 2007/9/24 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Two things come to mind off the bat--just who let the cat out of the bag in the VP's office--or in Israel--and, on a more rhetorical level, where was W while the Vice President was making the most serious decisions a President can ever make--about war? I assume Cheney deigned to consult with the Preznit before finalizing his decision...

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 09:19 PM
link   
As has happened before, I just finished an OP for BAN and check before I post to find it already up. You beat me again Cat, no hurt you're welcome, as you present the story in a much better way than I ever could.

I drop my OP here.

The Source for the story, the Newsweek article is titled:
The Whispers of War

Israel's Raid on Syria: Prelude to a Nuke Crises?

Oct. 1, 2007 issue - Sam Gardiner plays war for a living. A former Air Force colonel who helped write contingency plans for the U.S. military, Gardiner has spent the 20 years since his retirement staging war-simulation exercises for military and policy wonks within and on the fringes of government (he keeps his client list confidential).
[---]
"Even if Israel goes it alone, we will be blamed," says Gardiner. "Hence, we would see retaliation against U.S. interests."

How far will Israel go to keep Iran from getting the bomb? The question gained new urgency this month when Israeli warplanes carried out a mysterious raid deep in Syria and then threw up a nearly impenetrable wall of silence around the operation. Last week opposition leader Benjamin Netanyahu chipped away at that wall, saying Israel did in fact attack targets in Syrian territory. His top adviser, Mossad veteran Uzi Arad, told NEWSWEEK: "I do know what happened, and when it comes out it will stun everyone."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The jumping point for Newsweek's feature is an interview with this Sam Gardiner. Including informations around David Wurmser, who are among the steady departurees of administration neocons, the story is spun on how The Pentagon want to stretch away from war, in fact worries that another one will break America's already overstretched military.

However the wild card in any DoD cabal is Israel. Indications in the Syrian incident -whatever it really was- allude the deck of cards wasn't turned in the proper order, so the cabal didn't come out as expected.

Is it frustrations over IDF, that makes the hawks'n the dowes' play in Pentagon slipping public? Near a "coup d'etat" in Pentagon/DoD regie?

top topics

join