It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran Shows Off New Fighter Jet

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Iran shows off new fighter jet

www.news.com.au

IRAN today unveiled a new home-grown fighter jet amid growing tensions with the United States, saying the plane could "blind the eyes" of its enemies.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Articles:

AP
www.newkerala.com...
AFP
FarsNews

Related ATS Discussion Threads:

The Iranian Saegheh more capable than an F-18?
Irans fighter: Saegeh-80.

[edit on 2007/9/20 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 09:21 AM
link   
I am wondering how the ATS aviation experts will break down the capabilities of this latest addition to the Iranian air force.

www.news.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

any pictures or videos of the new birds?
would like to see them.

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by bodrul

Not very big or detailed images but theres a couple shown here i believe?

link

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Here is a video clip of Iranian news announcing the fighter has entered service.

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 01:20 PM
link   
thanks solid

is this suppose to be new?
they have had this kit for years why say its new now?

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 01:49 PM
link   
I give Iran props for developing their own home-grown fighter/bomber.

Unfortunately, as their most advanced fighter it will not fare so well against Israel. It looks like a manuverable fighter, but it's small and will not be able to cary a lot of payload. With it's engine it will not out fly the F-15 or F-16 Israel uses extensively.

Their other fighters include US built F-4's and F-5's. We used the F-4 Phantom a lot during Vietnam. Iran's fleet is nothing to boast about ,unfortunately on their part.

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by bodrul

From reading the second linked thread in the OP, it appears this has been in development for a while. I think it was said in the 2004 thread, 30 were going to be used in testing, this latest news is the fact that the fighter is now in service.

Hope that helps.

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 02:52 PM
link   
This fighter is not new nor is it truly "home grown". It is based of the F-5's Iran still has in possession from when they were sold to it during the Sha’s era. And they are of similar technology and capability as the F-5. For people informed in military topics it's nothing but a propaganda attempt aimed at falsely boosting Iranian public confidence etc... and "impressing" or scaring foreigners. In the end it has little value in a conventional war with the US.

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 02:58 PM
link   
I don't understand...

Why would they need a "home grown" fighter when they have all those operational F-14As ?

Seems like a waste to me... Or they won a contract to provide target drones to the IAF.

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Yeah, sounds like they either are preparing for the war, or....they want war?

Self-defense is acceptable, though.

[edit on 20-9-2007 by TheoOne]

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mirthful Me
Why would they need a "home grown" fighter when they have all those operational F-14As?

They do not have a lot of fly worthy operational F-14's, one squadron at best. And even those that remain cannot continue in service for much longer. The F-14 is too complex and requires a lot of intellectual know-how, infrastructure, resources and money for Iran to reverse engineer it. The F-5 is easier to replicate which is why all of their "new" designs are similar to it. As I said Iran knows they are of little military value but it serves them public relations benefits both at home an abroad if they seemingly develop a "new" fighter... Nonsense really.

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by WestPoint23

I was hoping you would see this and explain the Iranian Jet fighter, so it is not something to be overly concerned about.

I think alot of this has to do with the UN meeting, trying to appear powerful before decisions on further sanctions on Iran.

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 01:14 PM
link   
This thing is a frankensteined F-5.

I'm not impressed. 60's/70's technology.

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Very unimpressive. A F-5 with a new tail. Our oldest aircraft are two generations newer than that 1960'e era fighter. The Super Hornet makes up for the F-18C short-comings by increasing the effectiveness of the Radar guided AMRAAM system so they won't even get close.

During a conflict, F-15s will provide initial full theater air superiority and the F-18E will provide air cover for Navy assets. The Iranians will have to deal with F-15s first and will not survive to tangle with F-18s.

Most of their AF will probably be caught on the ground anyway.

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mirthful Me
I don't understand...

Why would they need a "home grown" fighter when they have all those operational F-14As ?

Seems like a waste to me... Or they won a contract to provide target drones to the IAF.

Most of their The tomcats are grounded and in need of maintenance. I don't see anyone supplying them with spare parts do you?

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by eagledriver

It's overkill but I'm betting the USAF would regionally deploy a good portion of the 1st FW in any conflict with Iran. That means there will be Raptors on station from the 27th and 94th to deal with anything the Iranians want to get airborne (after most of their AC are destroyed while on the ground). Not like the Raptors need it but supplemented by F-15's and USN Rhinos the Iranians won't be able to fly anything but a kite after the first few days of conflict...

Originally posted by JacKatMtn
…so it is not something to be overly concerned about.

Not at all. First there are way too few of these "new" fighters, see single digits, while the US would likely field hundreds of fighters. Two, our fighters are generations ahead of theirs in terms of technology, weapons and capabilities, you can't really appreciate how big the gap really is… Third, the quality, experience, training and tactics of our force would likely be superior to that of the Iranians, not saying their pilots are bad but compared to us they do not match up. Fourth, the C5ISTAR assets of our forces are far superior than what the Iranian can field, again the difference in capability is quite extraordinary, this enhances our capability even more. Then there is the benefit of having a very good long range and stealthy bomber/strike force in the form of cruise missiles and bombers. From mobile air bases (ships), global airbases and regional airbases surrounding Iran etc… We will have a lot of flexibility to use a very large force in an unpredictable way. Ensuring surprise and deep first strike capability, because of this they will be severely handicapped before we even get to points one through four… We also have more resources and available power to sustain a large scale operation for an extended period of time while being able to absorb losses, Iran does not.

And lastly, to add insult to injury, the USAF, USN and USMC have been using F-5's as OPFOR aircraft in dissimilar simulated combat training for decades and some units still continue to do so to this day. Meaning they choose a fighter our pilots, command structure and engineers know intimately. We know it's capabilities, weaknesses and strengths, ditto for the F-14. Given that we retired the Tomcat from active duty and no longer use F-5's for active combat Iran has no similar advantage. To sum it all up it would be a turkey shoot on part of the US military.

Did I leave out naval based SAM’s?

[edit on 24-9-2007 by WestPoint23]

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 04:11 PM
link   
I like the idea of there old american planes being used for target practice...and it seems the Israel airforce will be itching to shoot at these new Iranian fighters,... in combat..and see how they measure up..I am, impressed how Iran can build from scratch,... a modern fighter...copying parts or not..,.that is still a big jump in production for them...didn't they usually just buy things withj all there money...oh ya,.. till the US stopped supplying spare parts..all that Shaw crap.....just to get the oil...privatize ...nationalize.,..buddy,...it will get you killed..

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by onthefence81

Note to self: Self, when employing sarcasm dripping with irony, please use the [sarcasm] and [irony] tags so that witticisms aren't treated as though they are in stealth mode.

Self: OK.

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 04:29 PM
link   
I think my bicycle will go faster.

new topics

top topics

join