It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alien life in our galaxy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 04:53 PM
link   
news.nationalgeographic.com... e.html

[Edited on 17-1-2004 by mamaship]

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 04:54 PM
link   
lol, What, that it can't be found?

404 Error-- Page cannot be found.

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 04:57 PM
link   
I guess the shapeshifting reptiles took the page off the net to hide there seceret agenda

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 05:06 PM
link   
First time I try to put a link and I mess it up!!!!
ARRGGGHH!!

I'll try again.....

"Aliens in Our Galaxy? Experts Map Possible Hotbeds
January 6, 2004 � Using sophisticated computer models, astronomers have mapped a ring-shaped disc in the Milky Way that shows the highest potential for extraterrestrial life in our galaxy. Researchers found that 75 percent of the stars in this habitable zone are older than our sun, holding out the possibility that any potential life-forms would have an evolutionary head start over Earth's. "

If this link works, scroll down and click on the article...

news.nationalgeographic.com...

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 05:14 PM
link   

The astronomers were also able for the first time to determine the age of the stars in the habitable zone. They found that 75 percent of them are older than our sun.

"If people think that intelligent life will happen on these planets, then 75 percent of this intelligent life will have had a longer time to evolve than people or the entities that are circulating around our sun," said Lineweaver.

dang, so it won't just be the vulcans and klingons when we start bumming around the stars...

news.nationalgeographic.com...

[Edited on 1-16-2004 by junglejake]

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Here is the habitable zone for life in a galaxy much like our own:

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 11:16 PM
link   
I agree with Jodie Foster's character in Contact, if there is no other life out there: "It would be an awful waste of space." I marvel at the incredible diversity of life here on the Earth and how it can flourish in even the most extreme of enviroments. How could there not be life elsewhere in our galaxy and beyond?

---Matty (mattywhelz)

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by mattywhelz
I agree with Jodie Foster's character in Contact, if there is no other life out there: "It would be an awful waste of space." I marvel at the incredible diversity of life here on the Earth and how it can flourish in even the most extreme of enviroments. How could there not be life elsewhere in our galaxy and beyond?

---Matty (mattywhelz)

I'm a great beleiver in the theory that evolution is a set process in nature that has been happening all over the universe.

On other planets we may find reptillian like creatures that are as intelligent as we are, or perhaps plants with brains...

There are as many possibilities for life as there are paths that evolution could go down. It's just a matter of circumstances.

The universe is apparantly so big, that it would be highly unlikely for there to be any less than 10 earth like planets. Similar to earth in every way except landmasses. So not only is there likely to be other life out there, but also other life similar to us.

posted on Jan, 17 2004 @ 03:11 AM
link   
well we can't possibly be the only one's in the univers..

posted on Jan, 18 2004 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Thats the core of it all ,the universe exsists for life, it is made for life.It started with the big bang...after that it was gas..then came stars the "factorys" of the universe turning lighter element into heavy elements which form planets.Then in turn the planets under the right conditions turn the heavy elements into basic forms of life..bang evolution starts and were then end point here so far..almost like another big bang of a sort.Therfor i come to the conclusion that the universe is made for life and is teeming with it...lets face it were not just a spontanios bi-product of the universe and its laws of physics,if it happen here its happened every where and probally more often than we think..we are very important, living organisims are the most complex things in the universe even a simple miscroscopic organisim is more complex than a star.

posted on Jan, 19 2004 @ 11:26 PM
link   
I am also a believer of far off life forms....
I'm going to quote from the linked article (italics).

The team of astronomers has identified stars that contain enough heavy elements to form terrestrial planets; are sufficiently distant from disastrous supernova explosions; and have existed for at least four billion years�the time it took for complex life to evolve on Earth.

They said that 10percent of the stars in our galaxy meat the criteria above! Just how many stars our in our galaxy?

The research also shows that 75 percent of the stars in this habitable zone are older than our sun; so if there is actually life there, it's probably more evolved than life on Earth.

More evolved life forms! More knowledge and therefore greater technology than ours. If there are exterestrials visiting us from far off planets, maybe they are "much much evolved".

new topics

top topics

join