It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China to draft new laws to fix gender imbalance

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 05:31 AM
link   

China to draft new laws to fix gender imbalance

news.bbc.co.uk

The Chinese government says it is drafting new laws to tackle the growing gender imbalance caused by the widespread abortion of female foetuses.

The practice is already banned, but new rules are expected to set out specific punishments for parents and doctors.

China's Family Planning Association (CFPC) has revealed the extent of the imbalance - in one city there are eight young boys for every five girls.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 05:31 AM
link   
I don't know what is worse to be honest - the government implying these laws because families try desperately to have a boy, or the fact that women will abort their own child if it's a girl..

I think I might have to go with the later one.

Apparently the recommended gender ratio (as given by the UN) is no more than 107. China probably has an average of around 125... and in some places there's cases of there being 164 boys to every 100 girls:

On Friday it was revealed that the eastern city of Lianyungang had the most skewed population. Among children under four years old, there are 163.5 boys for every 100 girls.

Ninety-nine cities had gender ratios higher than 125, state-run news agency Xinhua quoted the CFPA as saying in a report.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 06:51 AM
link   
They wonder why they have so many sexual crimes against girls in their country. China is one of the worst countries for rape and brutality against women. What would you expect when you have that many more males than females. The CEO for people management needs to step down.

new topics

join