It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NAU meeting protest ends in tear gas!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 05:30 PM
link   

MONTEBELLO, Que. — As riot police fired tear gas and pepper spray to hold back demonstrators outside the Montebello summit Monday, Stephen Harper shook hands with George W. Bush and dismissed the protest as a “sad” spectacle.

The prime minister welcomed Bush to the North American Leaders’ Summit as the U.S. president stepped off his helicopter on to the lush grounds of the posh — and heavily guarded — Chateau Montebello. “I’ve heard it’s nothing,” the prime minister said when asked whether he’d seen the protesters. “A couple hundred? It’s sad.”

Bush looked over his shoulder and smiled mischievously when asked the same question, but remained silent and walked with the prime minister into the building.

link

Ladies and Gentlemen our rights have left the building!

------------------------------
added 'ex' tags and a link

[edit on 21/8/07 by masqua]

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 10:16 PM
link   
I'll agree, it certainly is sad. It's sad that these three men feel comfortable enough in their power and control to simply brush off an angry mob of hundreds of people.

By the way, the mods are probably going to request both sources for this article and external tags for the quote. I'd kind of like to see the source too, just for my own edification.

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 12:17 PM
link   
I hope the riot police will get back soon from injury and it ther duty to protected the people at this summit and nomatter what other people thinks about them same the secuity guards etc and its part of there traning as police offcier

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Equinox99

Can you please explain how any "rights have left the building!" They were allowed to protest. They were only prevented from entering the building and disrupting the meeting. I would guess that in your definition of protest, it is OK for an angry mob to charge into a building and prevent a meeting from taking place, right? Sorry, but it doesn't work that way. Why is it that protesters always think that THEY have the right to be heard, then they accomplish this by yelling over others who also have the right to be heard AND are trying to be heard in a forum set aside for them to speak. Maybe it's because the opposing viewpoint actually makes sense so they don't want others to hear it?

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 01:16 PM
link   
There was thread a few weeks back which said US troops would be on Canadian soil bashing protesters.

oh here it is :

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Well what happened to the US troops??????? Oh they must have heard we were on to the plot and didnt send them in. What a joke IMO.

So what the three main political leaders in North America had a meeting. I dont see the big deal. So what if an NAU is formed, America will be overrun with immigrants in the next 10 years anyway, and our congress wont do anything to stop it, so why not an NAU.

I say an NAU will fix alot of the problums we now see with respect to immigration , jobs, travel, trade etc. Why are so many people so against a team effort at making life better for those in the west? The EU has done a lot to help countries in that group. Why not do the same over here and become better prepared for doing business in the future. Whether you like it or not the future will be countries working togeather for the common good of all citizens.

Our rights have left the bldg!!! what a joke!!! When was the last time you couldnt do something you wanted to do?

And what right(s) have been taken away from any common citizen of America?

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Your absolutely right what I said was a joke.
check out this video and tell me that the police were doing the correct thing
by shooting people with rubber bullets, tear gas and pepper spray.

Video

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Your absolutely right what I said was a joke.
check out this video and tell me that the police were doing the correct thing
by shooting people with rubber bullets, tear gas and pepper spray.

Video

I left the video link so you could go back and look at it again. The main point here is that the protesters threw rocks, Pushed police, Taunted police and basically wouldn’t listen or abide by anything the police told them to do. ( like not try and get into the summit when police told them to move back from the main gate) So this is what you get when you try and create Kaos and an anarchical form of protest. The police had every right to protect the summit and they did it by THE BOOK.

I absolutly agree with the right to protest however, it must be done peacefully and with patience. The news anchor says many times that some protesters came there only to fight with police and nothing else. Some protesters were being peacefull and they were allowed to protest.

Those that only want to fight get exactly what they deserve IMO.

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by geemony
So what the three main political leaders in North America had a meeting. I dont see the big deal. So what if an NAU is formed, America will be overrun with immigrants in the next 10 years anyway, and our congress wont do anything to stop it, so why not an NAU.

I say an NAU will fix alot of the problums we now see with respect to immigration , jobs, travel, trade etc. Why are so many people so against a team effort at making life better for those in the west? The EU has done a lot to help countries in that group. Why not do the same over here and become better prepared for doing business in the future. Whether you like it or not the future will be countries working togeather for the common good of all citizens.

All of the members of the EU got to vote as to whether or not they wanted an EU to begin with, and then any country who joined later was voted on by the rest of the membership. They all got to vote on their Constitution as well.

This is not what's happening with the NAU. It's all being done behind closed doors and very secretively, with the public being told nothing, especially not being told the true facts of it.

Calderon, prez of Mexico, was "elected" in a thrown election and there were massive riots in Mexico because the U.S. threw the election to Calderon, their "guy" who would go along with the NAU. No one has asked the people of Canada, Mexico or the U.S. if they want the NAU, much less if they want to give up their sovereignty as a nation. Also, the U.S. citizens, according to the NAU plan, would have to pay yet more taxes so that Mexicans would have Social Security, health care, etc. IOW, Americans would be forced to support Mexico. This, at a time, when Americans are struggling financially more than they have since the Depression.

It is against the U.S. Constitution to give away our country's sovereignty against the wishes of the American People. Do you think this is a good thing? I want my country back, it's been systematically destroyed. You do realize that the U.S. has canceled habeas corpus don't you? And there are many other rights we've been forced to give up by our govt, such as our right to privacy, and our right to protest as well. They just issued an executive order that states that dissidents can be jailed without trial and have all their property taken from them.

Our rights have left the bldg!!! what a joke!!! When was the last time you couldnt do something you wanted to do?

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 03:24 PM
link   

I left the video link so you could go back and look at it again. The main point here is that the protesters threw rocks, Pushed police, Taunted police and basically wouldn’t listen or abide by anything the police told them to do. ( like not try and get into the summit when police told them to move back from the main gate) So this is what you get when you try and create Kaos and an anarchical form of protest. The police had every right to protect the summit and they did it by THE BOOK.

Geemony, where in the video did you actually see protesters throwing rocks at the police? I didn't see that. If I missed something, maybe you'll point it out to me.
We have the right to protest whenever and wherever, but lately our govt's. have been trying to keep us in cages and/or away from the site of what's going on, rendering the protest ineffectual. The MSM always uses that same old refrain "the protesters threw rocks at us" and I've yet to see that anywhere. Protesters are by nature, peaceful folks. They include among their ranks many Quakers, pacifists and Catholic and other clergy who are pacifists.
So they were marching down the street - it happens in Europe all the time and we do have the right do so. Not only that, but they want to take our countries away from us WITHOUT OUR PERMISSION OR EVEN ANY INPUT and you expect us to put up with that without some sort of rebellion?

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by forestlady

How about NAU? Noone has voted for it as far as I can tell. I bet there's plenty who would like to do that.

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Geemony, where in the video did you actually see protesters throwing rocks at the police? I didn't see that. If I missed something, maybe you'll point it out to me.

Well the anchor doing the news cast says in his first sentence they threw rocks, did you not hear that?

"Rock throwing protesters"

We have the right to protest whenever and wherever, but lately our govt's. have been trying to keep us in cages and/or away from the site of what's going on, rendering the protest ineffectual.

So you would allow protesters to be in the meeting area?

The MSM always uses that same old refrain "the protesters threw rocks at us" and I've yet to see that anywhere. Protesters are by nature, peaceful folks. They include among their ranks many Quakers, pacifists and Catholic and other clergy who are pacifists.

Your not being serious here are you? Not all protesters are peaceful and some are very violent and want nothing more than to harm others.

So they were marching down the street - it happens in Europe all the time and we do have the right do so. Not only that, but they want to take our countries away from us WITHOUT OUR PERMISSION OR EVEN ANY INPUT and you expect us to put up with that without some sort of rebellion?

Like i said show me one right that has been taken away from you in any way shape or form. ALso did you not see the protesters pushing the police atthe main gate, some had masks on to hide thier identity, maybe becasue they were the ones inciting violence not the police.

As for your comments on the EU, yes they did hold secret meetings (see links below) And the NAU if there is such a thing being discussed would of course be brought out once the details are concidered. An NAU will be voted on as well "mark my words" Americans will never allow an NAU to be decided upon with out thier involvement. just wont happen

news.bbc.co.uk...

www.thetrumpet.com...

[edit on 21-8-2007 by geemony]

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by PsykoOps

How about NAU? Noone has voted for it as far as I can tell. I bet there's plenty who would like to do that.

PsykoOps with all due respect, that isn't at all what I said, you've confused me with some other poster. I didn't say this. This is the exact opposite of how I feel/think. Please, do not ascribe these words to me, I would never say such things.
Forestlady

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 09:37 PM
link   

I hope you are Canadian since this happened in Canada

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Only.14 seconds in this 4:24 minute long video gives mention to the peaceful protests. The rest is the violence. Why?

And why mention "rock throwing protesters" and not show one second of any protester throwing anything? I 'm not saying they didn't but why mention them first in the broadcast then not show one image of them doing it? They don't even say that they threw the first rock, but that police tried to push them back then started pepper spraying them and using tear gas and rubber bullets.

The reporter also mentions that the protesters didn't follow the official plan.
We in Canada have the right to peaceful protest

2. Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms:

a) freedom of conscience and religion;
b) freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication;
c) freedom of peaceful assembly; and
d) freedom of association.

Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms

That news clip showed the police acted first not the protesters. They had a 25 km fence set up around the meeting area. As long as it remained peaceful ,and there's nothing in that clip that states otherwise, the riot squad had no need for that kind of reaction.

Oh yea once they read this all bets are off.

Her Majesty the Queen charges and commands all persons being assembled immediately to disperse and peaceably to depart to their habitations or to their lawful business on the pain of being guilty of an offence for which, on conviction, they may be sentenced to imprisonment for life. GOD SAVE THE QUEEN.

Criminal Code of Canada

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xtrozero

I hope you are Canadian since this happened in Canada
\

I am, and I for one do not want to merge with the United States. When I said
rights I meant they are going through this summit secretly, and we as the people were not informed what the meeting was about.

"The demonstrators are also decrying the secrecy surrounding the meeting and that the only people with access to the three leaders at the summit are 30 chief executives of some of the biggest corporations in the world."

Full Article

So basically the corporations can know what our leaders know but we can't?
Maybe some want the NAU because the American dollar is decreasing, but
I do not want it. I am not going to say it is evil, but it will bring the crime
rate up in this country.
If people will have it easier to cross the border and live anywhere in NA
people will start to migrate to Canada and from that we will have the same
problem as you guys do with illegal aliens and the job economy.

posted on Aug, 22 2007 @ 02:25 AM
link   

So what the three main political leaders in North America had a meeting. I dont see the big deal.

Yes it is a big deal seeing is they are planning a major merger of our nations rather or not we agree to it.

So what if an NAU is formed, America will be overrun with immigrants in the next 10 years anyway, and our congress wont do anything to stop it, so why not an NAU.

So your answer to this is submit because it cant be stoped?

You have no spine.

I say an NAU will fix alot of the problums we now see with respect to immigration , jobs, travel, trade etc. Why are so many people so against a team effort at making life better for those in the west?

The U.S is one of the richest countries in the world, yet we have massive unemployment problems, homeless and poor people, most of which cannot afford health care.

All this while we spend trillions in the business of killing and forcing our values upon others, all while making the rich richer.

And while feeding OTHER countries, and not taking care of our own.

The NAU has nothing to offer us that we cannot already provide without this union.

Unless of course you consider, Making the rich and the corporations richer and more powerful, Making the poor poorer and dumber, completely destroying the last true document of freedom in the process... a good thing...

Come voting time in the NAU a whole class of voters will no longer count either...

Our rights have left the bldg!!! what a joke!!! When was the last time you couldn't do something you wanted to do?

1.We cant protest without a permit, this violates the 1st amendment.
2.We cant petition the government for a redress of grievances. because they
ignor us, this violates the 1st amendment
3.Congress time and time again passes laws which are either pro or con on
religion, when its clearly stated they are to pass No laws, regarding
religion.. This again violates the 1st amendment
4.We cant carry a gun without a permit, and cannot own certain guns
because they look scary, this violates the 2nd amendment
5.Law enforcement continuously violate citizens rights, namely the 4th
amendment
6.The lower courts ignor the higher courts rulings which lead to many men
and women going to jail for crimes they didn't legally commit.
This violates the 5th amendment.
7.The IRS forces you to sign a paper stating you owe something you don't,
and if you don't pay it, they can use your signature, against you, this
violates the 5th amendment
8. Citizens are continuously brought up on charges then forced to wait in
limbo for months or sometimes years before they see there trial..
This violates 6th amendment.
9.Citizens are continuously held in prison with bail set excessively high, and
the judge knows they cannot make it. This violates the 8th amendment
10. And states continuously pass laws which violates the the bill of rights, this
violates the 10th amendment.

These are just things every day people face, I'm not even going to bring into account the recent laws passed by congress since 9/11, there isn't enough space to list all that bs...

Not only that The federal government continuously violates there jurisdiction within the 50 states, (they basically have none)

Congress passes laws which, which it has no authority to pass, namely laws which effect the internal matters within the 50 states.

I can go on and on..

[edit on 22-8-2007 by C0le]

posted on Aug, 22 2007 @ 03:06 AM
link   
reply to post by forestlady

Sorry, the post has bit shade quotes. I'll edit

For some reason I dont have edit button on that post anymore... sorry

[edit on 22/8/2007 by PsykoOps]

posted on Aug, 22 2007 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by C0le

Yes it is a big deal seeing is they are planning a major merger of our nations rather or not we agree to it.

I don’t see that at all, I see three nations contemplating the future of doing business in this current global environment. And I will bet that they for sure will put it to the people once they have a plan which can be brought to the people. Would you bring a proposal to your boss if it was half assed put together? Maybe you would I don’t know.

So your answer to this is submit because it cant be stoped?

You have no spine.

I did expect personal attacks since that’s all you people can resort to when you read something you don’t agree with. Good point maker JA

The U.S is one of the richest countries in the world, yet we have massive unemployment problems, homeless and poor people, most of which cannot afford health care.

Yes the liberal democrats have created a huge problem with their entitlement programs. They have created a way for people to get benefits who could work but, who choose not to because they can rape our welfare system and unemployment system with out having to work hard to achieve success. I do agree that there are corrupt industries, the health care system being one of them. For that I look to the Canadians way of providing health care. I believe their system covers everyone no matter what. Would a Canadian please help me with this statement? Thx

All this while we spend trillions in the business of killing and forcing our values upon others, all while making the rich richer.

I guess Saddam didn’t try and force his will on his people. I guess the Taliban didn’t force their will on the people. I guess communism didn’t try and force their will on people. Lame argument IMO America is the only country on the planet willing to stand up and take the lead. And if we were engaged in a bake sale instead of a war on terror then the food industry would be the rich getting richer. Of course in a war environment those that produce weapons and tools of war will get rich.

And while feeding OTHER countries, and not taking care of our own.

The NAU has nothing to offer us that we cannot already provide without this union.

Wrong again, If an NAU is being looked at it will provide stability to all three countries IMO. A more stable financial institution, no boarders persay so no more illegal immigration concerns. A more stable work environment and a better way of life for many in mexico and canada since unemployment in those countries far exceeds the US rate. Please do your homework before you state im wrong on this point.

Unless of course you consider, Making the rich and the corporations richer and more powerful, Making the poor poorer and dumber, completely destroying the last true document of freedom in the process... a good thing...

This sounds like a spoiled child upset because someone has something they don’t. Quit crying and make yourself successful, don’t wait for someone to hand you everything you want, go out and earn it.

The last true document of freedom. Our Constitution and Bill of rights have been used as tools by those who interpret them to mean anything they want anyway. I suggest our forefathers are prob rolling in their graves at what’s been done to the original values and morals America was founded on. So change is inevitable at this point. Change is not always a bad thing IMO so don’t put it down until it’s had time to work.

1.We cant protest without a permit, this violates the 1st amendment.

I guess it would be better to allow protesters to go anywhere and do anything they want with no order or structure. Yeah that would be a good thing right?

2.We cant petition the government for a redress of grievances. because they ignor us, this violates the 1st amendment

Again how so, I can contact my congressmen anytime I want and have and have gotten a response every time. It’s not the fault of the process that you may have a lazy congressman.

3.Congress time and time again passes laws which are either pro or con on religion, when its clearly stated they are to pass No laws, regarding religion.. This again violates the 1st amendment

Please share with me the laws that have been passed concerning religion.

4.We cant carry a gun without a permit, and cannot own certain guns because they look scary, this violates the 2nd amendment

Again the times dictate that changes to gun laws must be addressed; they didn’t have auto weapons and auto handguns in 1776 my man. They didn’t have millions and millions of people either. I guess you would be ok with people having any type of gun they want. Also you would be ok with them not having to register those guns as well? Great way to control guns in America right?

Every citizen of America can own a gun if they choose to I have several.

Continued

[edit on 22-8-2007 by geemony]

posted on Aug, 22 2007 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by C0le
5.Law enforcement continuously violate citizens rights, namely the 4th
amendment

How so, again I don’t think this at all. Law enforcement has a tough job dealing with people who don’t care about the rule of law, for which I might add The American republic is based on. Don’t break the law and you wont get slammed into the store front window!!!!

6.The lower courts ignor the higher courts rulings which lead to many men and women going to jail for crimes they didn't legally commit. This violates the 5th amendment.

Unless you’re talking about the 9th circuit court in San Francisco then id have to say I don’t believe this is rampant, but as with any system of government changes will always need to be made. Again the times have changed since the documents were written we have to continue to roll with the times and change things as they show themselves to not work the way they should. I agree the Justice system needs an overhaul.

7.The IRS forces you to sign a paper stating you owe something you don't, and if you don't pay it, they can use your signature, against you, this violates the 5th amendment

You lost me here Taxes are Law so pay them or don’t its up to you.

8. Citizens are continuously brought up on charges then forced to wait in limbo for months or sometimes years before they see there trial..
This violates 6th amendment.

Blame the lawyers don’t blame the government.

9.Citizens are continuously held in prison with bail set excessively high, and
the judge knows they cannot make it. This violates the 8th amendment

Don’t do the crime if you can’t do the time my friend.

10. And states continuously pass laws which violates the the bill of rights, this
violates the 10th amendment.

Which states have passed laws that violate the Bill of rights? I see people using the freedom of speech right for anything they can get away with.

These are just things every day people face, I'm not even going to bring into account the recent laws passed by congress since 9/11, there isn't enough space to list all that bs...

Not only that The federal government continuously violates there jurisdiction within the 50 states, (they basically have none)

Congress passes laws which, which it has no authority to pass, namely laws which effect the internal matters within the 50 states.

I can go on and on..

[edit on 22-8-2007 by C0le]

You know I have never been that Pro Government especially with Bushco in office, but I am conservative by design so I do agree with some of what is being done. I see America as I have always seen America the best place on earth to live. We have the best of everything here. People will risk jail time and deportation to get here. Immigrants can’t get in line fast enough. So your argument that America is going down the tubes just doesn’t sit with me. We have a choice to make here real soon, embrace progress and move to create stability between our land lock neighbors or riot in the street because some don’t like change and would like to stay in the dark ages. I for one will be just fine and will continue to be successful in everything I do, why because I work hard, provide for my family and don’t allow anyone to tread on my values or morals. The day someone tells me I can’t live free then ill take up arms and fight for what I believe in.

Thank you for the discussion this is part of being free to my friend........ The right to speak your mind on the internet, oh they didn’t have that either when they created the Documents which are the basis for a free American society.

Take care

posted on Aug, 22 2007 @ 08:27 AM
link   

I am, and I for one do not want to merge with the United States. When I said
rights I meant they are going through this summit secretly, and we as the people were not informed what the meeting was about.

I don’t think it would be wise to give out every detail of a high level meeting. Do you? I just think it allows for possible terrorist opportunities.

"The demonstrators are also decrying the secrecy surrounding the meeting and that the only people with access to the three leaders at the summit are 30 chief executives of some of the biggest corporations in the world."

If you wanted to propose a NAU wouldn’t you need support from the global players to see how they feel about doing business with a new union? I think its smart business.

So basically the corporations can know what our leaders know but we can't?

You will know when they have figured it out themselves.

Maybe some want the NAU because the American dollar is decreasing, but
I do not want it. I am not going to say it is evil, but it will bring the crime
rate up in this country.

Well of the three countries America is the strongest and our dollar is worth more than the Canadian dollar and peso so what’s the beef, a merger would be great for the Canadian dollar.

If people will have it easier to cross the border and live anywhere in NA
people will start to migrate to Canada and from that we will have the same
problem as you guys do with illegal aliens and the job economy.

With an NAU there is no more illegal immigration with the three countries for one. Also don’t think for one minute an NAU would do away with the sovereignty of any of the three countries. There would still be an America, a Canada and a Mexico. Yes a new constitution would be voted on but who’s to say it wouldn’t address the times and be more in line with how life is lived in this day and age.

I really do believe change is good in this respect for all three countries. But until I see an Official announcement that this is what they are working towards I have to speculate, just as all of you who say it’s a bad thing are doing.

Anyway thank you for the discussion and take care.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join