It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Two Utah Mine Rescue workers Die during "Bump" Thurs.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Three Utah Mine Rescue workers Die during "Bump" Thurs.

www.cnn.com

HUNTINGTON, Utah (CNN) -- A second person has died according to The Associated Press and at least seven others are injured after an accident during a rescue operation at Utah's Crandall Canyon mine Thursday evening where rescuers have been trying to reach six trapped miners.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Fixed title

[edit on 8/17/07 by FredT]

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Two (NOW THREE) rescue workers digging their way to the trapped Miners have been confirmed killed Thursday Eve. What they are referring to as a "Bump" occurred which placed eleven of the rescuers in jeopardy.

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 17-8-2007 by Dallas]

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 12:44 AM
link   
I just heard that a third person has died too.

I think they're going to call off the rescue operation, the men originally trapped are most likely already dead and it's too risky to send more men in under these conditions.

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 12:46 AM
link   
Yup, me too. A third rescuer is confirmed deceased this Thurs eve.

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 03:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
I think they're going to call off the rescue operation, the men originally trapped are most likely already dead and it's too risky to send more men in under these conditions.

None of this has been confirmed, they're presently considering all things and deciding which action is best at this time.

We should know something soon.

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Well now they've officially called off all underground operations for now.

Holes will continue to be drilled to see if they can locate any signs of life from the trapped miners.

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 08:08 PM
link   
If they keep drilling holes and lowering cameras they may eventually find bodies... then the families may insist on proper burials and the pressure may mount all over again to dig back into the mountain despite the previous rescue worker tragedy.

As long as they're still attempting in any way to locate those miners, nothing is over and done with; Anything can still be placed on the table.

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 10:23 AM
link   
I'm still wondering and suppose I'll be wondering for awhile as to if over-mining or a natural seismic activity is responsible for the original cave-in disaster? If they find Miners alive how will they free them?

I understand that if they locate any living MIners they can drop food & water to them but how will they free them?, can they drill a large hole and extract them as done a couple of years ago elsewhere?

Dallas

Edit:
ABC Article: Handling of Mine Disaster Questioned
abcnews.go.com...

[edit on 18-8-2007 by Dallas]

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 11:06 AM
link   
According to CNN the Mexican government is pushing for rescue efforts to resume. Three of the trapped miners are Mexican nationals. The only way in now is to drill a large hole like they did at Quecreek a few years ago. It is estimated to take two weeks. I want to know why they didn't start drilling this hole as a backup to the main effort almost two weeks ago?

join