It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists break the speed of light

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

I contend that Photons and all Particles that display the aspect of duelaty are Only Waves and only are perceived as physical massive particles by the method and intrinsic bias of the observer..

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 06:11 PM
link   

link

I have discovered a way to travel faster then light...?

Tell me if this would work or not.

You take a really long pole, I mean really really really long. And swing it with one end connected to a point in a big circle in space. The end of the pole moves faster then the part of the pole closer to the pivoting point since it has to cover more distance right? If you do the math wouldn't the end of the pole reach the speed of light?

found this relating to the topic

Mod note:
Please do not post large copy and pastes from other websites. Use a link, and a small quotation enclosed by [.ex] tags. Also remember to include content of your own.

[edit on 17-8-2007 by The Vagabond]

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 06:37 PM
link   
en.wikipedia.org...

The value of relativistic mass is equal to invariant mass in one reference frame (except for massless particles like photons that can not exist at rest).

en.wikipedia.org...

en.wikipedia.org...'s_constant

Now before anyone goes off of the deep end -- it does not seem likely that a photon still has any mass at all.

My brain can travel faster than the speed of light also if one includes quantum entanglement because before I was conferring with myself I already knew the answer as I tapped into all that quantum theory which to me only assumes that anything quantum tunneling better be sure it is quantum tunneling because even according to Dr. Gunter (name) anything with mass could not begin to do that above.

So, I doubt if anyone else will be moving faster than the speed of light.

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 06:47 PM
link   
I read an article in Scientific American about this about eighteen years ago. The article said it was first done about forth years ago so this is by no means anything new. That being said I do think it is a pretty cool phenomena.

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Will be very interesting to see what exactly they have up their sleeves... I'd find it hard to believe they didn't have knowledge in the other similar claims that were made in the past -- which leads me to believe they must have 'something' more.

In anycase, even if Einstein is disproven in any of his theories, I don't think he'd be rolling in his grave because of it. Also I don't think he'd be suprised... He is -- after all, the very wise man that I quoted in my signature.

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 07:35 PM
link   
i completely agree with Nav... We need to build on this to explore the infinite possibilities. I think this is why we havent advanced as fat in transportation. We are thinking small.

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by halfmask

Hello! I remember a while back this was brought up to the forefront. Maybe about two years. The light from the stars was the discovery. And that certain conditions or atmospheres altered the speed of light. Making it no longer "constant." Quantum physics was brought up and Einsteins theories. Scientists saying that there is a possibility of eleven dimensions. Time travel. I came up in jest with a friend at the time about how they will need a new equation. I called it the "Living Equation" Since there is no "constant" the original set of numbers would have to change each time to create a continouse motion.

six

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by iori_komei
This is'nt something traveling faster than light, it's using quantum tunneling
to make light appear at the location faster.

It would have been more interesting if it had been done with matter, rather than light.

Oh, and the reason you can't make an object move faster than light is because
it would require infinite energy.

There are of course alternative theories that get around this without violating it.

Not wanting to sound stupid.....Is quantum tunneling along the same idea as using worm holes to travel through space ?

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Like we didn't know this would happen eventually. Now if you could just "attach" matter to these light packets and create the same system from here to Mars. We'll have light speed this century.

[edit on 16-8-2007 by Gorman91]

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 08:41 PM
link   
gonna base the post solely on the mail article..

so if travelling faster than light in theory makes things go backwards in time ... couldnt they have broken the light barrier gone backwards in time slightly .. then traveled at the same speed as the other photons but arrived before?

There was a young lady called bright...
Who travelled much faster than light....
She departed one day in a relative way....
And returned on the previous night......

[edit on 16/8/07 by Quantum_Squirrel]

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Interesting experiment, but it would've been much more significant if it was matter.

Nevertheless I hope to see some follow-up experiments to this one.

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 09:35 PM
link   
[edit mispost]

[edit on 8/16/2007 by runetang]

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 09:35 PM
link   
does information packets transmitted wirelessly, say on a wireless network from computer to computer, do those packets have a mass to them?

or could they, theoreticly, travel faster than light because they have no mass?

if the potential to create energy is infinite, and the potential to direct it into a propelling device is infinite, then the possibility to go faster than light even with things of mass is possible.

but if information packets dont have mass, one could send them faster than light to be decoded by the receiving computer, beating time.

say a stock just dropped BIGTIME, you could send that info faster than light to a computer on the opposite side of the Earth, and that person could then sell right before hand, and no trouble would come to them.

That would have to be really fast, though..

I will add that the idea of not controlling time completely, but just being barely able to touch the edges, the fabric, to mess with it just a tiny bit, someday security might be able to know what you're about to do before you do it! lol wouldnt that be the day? omg.. but u could rest easy knowing it would only be for things you were actually gonna do; not THINK ur gonna do, convinced ur gonna do, but something that you would have done in that situation over, and over, and over again, had it been looped, for example.

Ew... and then people could frame other people and get them arrested before they ever did anything on fabricated video of what supposedly had taken place but it wasnt you, it was an actor. so the feds bust down your door and lock you up over this crime u supposedly were gonna do the second u walked out and actually DID, they just warped in time to you so fast they bent time and got to your residence before u even did it. But in this example, u werent actually gonna do it, they could frame people easily!

Bad tech.. bad..

[edit on 8/16/2007 by runetang]

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by PULVERlZER
franchise rights, trading cards, your own science show.

Or better yet, what can we gain scientifically by moving massless photons beyond the speed of light?...

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 10:22 PM
link   
speed is not the route to the stars even if we travel
as fast as the speed of light it would still take way
to long to get to the nearest stars.

Originally posted by Gorman91
Like we didn't know this would happen eventually. Now if you could just "attach" matter to these light packets and create the same system from here to Mars. We'll have light speed this century.

[edit on 16-8-2007 by Gorman91]

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Of corse not. You need to find a way to put material into a quantum state, then it can be teleported anywhere in the entire known(unknown?) universe.

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Some very interesting and bizarre twists of grey matter on this one. If travelling at the speed of light and stopped for a doughnut....
I think that the most important thing to remember in this case was stated by Einstein himself. He had just finished explaining the Theory of Relativety to a lecture hall group when he stood straight and said the following often forgetten words. "But of course, I could be wrong."
Dr. Einstein himself was the first one to remind people that it was a theory. It it was carved in cosmic stone, it would be called a fact, and we would be travelling near the speed of light on our way down to the doughnut shop.
The question that I wish that I could ask Einstein is the one abut travelling at the speed of light and turning on the headlights. I think that he would have gotten a laugh out of it and then tormented students with it for years.

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Man if I could talk to Einstein. I'd give him our current understanding of quantum phys and string theory and hope he'd find "the theory to everything"

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Yes Einstein could be wrong, after all, it's only theories, which holds untill proven wrong. Even Einstein himself revised his theories over time and came up with new theories.

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 12:07 AM
link   
i liked the article from rocksockinbrain better. they detailed some law breaking effects and stated they cant really prove they broke Einsteins law. they claim to see trails left behind by the light and some times the effect before the cause... that sounds like time travel. but what if they had seen the effect and stopped from turning on the experiment. doc brown told Marty Mcfly his fear of such an event. quite a paradox.
if there are aliens visiting us they must be using the physics involved in making light and matter traveling faster then light. who knows how much faster then light you have to go to skip time? then how much time is traveled back by going a little or alot over the speed limit? in any case these guys are here before they left to come here. perhaps before they even exist. what if these "aliens" are actually only future evolved HUMANS coming back from there faster then light space voyage only to discover there back before they even left? now that they have done that have they altered their own time line by the events we have witnessed and technology we posses from there crashes where by we possibly destroy ourselves before evolving into them? Paradox.... if we destroy ourselves and them how did they get here? if then that means they cant be here then we wont evolve premature to destroy ourselves and then they can come here..... time loop?
i hope they don't break the speed of light! or at least if they see a cause before the effect i hope they carry on with the cause.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join