It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Britain replaces Harrier jumpjets - local firm lands weapons deal

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2007 @ 07:21 AM
link   
I'm new here so wasn't sure where to post this, but I thought 'weapons' forum seemed appropriate.

It appears the RAF and Royal Navy are replacing the ageing Harrier jumpjets with these planes, and a local manufacturer near my house has landed the arming deal:

The multi-million pound deal will see Raytheon Systems support the flight trials and subsequent integration of the Paveway IV guided missile onto the short take-off and vertical landing (STOVL) version of the F-35 Lightning II aircraft.

Source: Harlow Star local newspaper

I thought this seemed relevant today, what with Iran's acquisition of 250 Sukhoi fighter-bombers and all.

Here is a bit of info on the F-35 Lightning II.

DD

[edit on 11-8-2007 by DragonsDomain]

posted on Aug, 11 2007 @ 08:31 AM
link   
this won`t be happening for about 8 years at least - and the latest Harrier isn`t exactly `ageing` the GR9 is very advanced.

en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 11/8/07 by Harlequin]

posted on Aug, 11 2007 @ 08:41 AM
link   
It is good to see things being put into place now though rather than the practise of wait until something needs updating before working on the next best thing. Some good stuff happening for the armed forces lately though.

A future replacement for the Harrier
The Typhoon making up squadrons
The first Astute class sub is finished
The first of the Daring Class destroyers is on sea trials
And the Army gets in on some new gear with a mobile light weapons platform

EDIT: And how could I forget the two new aircraft carriers

[edit on 11/8/2007 by Muppetus Galacticus]

posted on Aug, 11 2007 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Yep its definitely good to see our military being updated, I feel we need to keep ahead of other, potentially dangerous countries. There is a lot of controversy in Britain about the amount of money we invest in our military, but I feel it is an unfortunate necessity.

posted on Aug, 11 2007 @ 10:54 AM
link   
My Grandpa was a chippie at Pompey docks and as a kid I always went to navy days and got a real good behind the scenes look around. Been a good few years now since I had a look around the City I grew up in! I would love to go back and see one of those new carriers sailing out in to the solent with a fly by from those Suh Weeet F35's.

British Forces: Best in the world!

MonKey

top topics

join