It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Masons Invitation

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Hi there.

Today when my father got home he told me a friend of his has invited him to join the Masons. I know very little about Masonary but felt the urge to do as much research as possible. I didnt find out much.

My father has yet to decide whether or not to join but for some reason I want him to, just because it interests me. Along with this comes the worry in what he will commit himself to.

I would like for anyone to share there views on Masons and maybe share some information about them.

I would like to add my fathers friend has been one for near 30 years and told my dad his strong character would fit in well and that he would enjoy it alot. He also said "I would love to be there for your initiation".

Im both intrigued and worried.

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Hello Mini Yoda.

If your father decides to become a Mason, he will become a member of the finest fraternity, and group of men I have ever met. Although Masonry is not for everyone, the fact that a friend whom he has known for 30 years has invited him due to his "strong character" ,I get the feeling he will understand the precepts of Freemasonry, and will enjoy the brotherhood. There is no need to worry about the 'Initiation" this is just the first of three degrees that your father would be conferred and each has its own lessons and instruction, and he is Initiated into the Fraternity. I have been a Mason for only 6 years and am now the Master of my lodge, and from my perspective the tenets and principles that Freemasnory stand for are Honest, Upright and Noble.

Just my 2 cents worth

Regards

Dredz

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Thankyou very much.

Your insight has helped me widen my view towards it all. You seem to have a real passion for it which I admire.

I think im going to talk to my dad some more, im hoping he will join as I think he will really benifit from something of this nature.

If anyone else has similar or different views on the matter at hand then all comments are welcome.

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 07:17 PM
link   
I'm with Dredz on this one, you couldn't be part of a better organization than the Masons.

Cory

Originally posted by dredz
Hello Mini Yoda.

If your father decides to become a Mason, he will become a member of the finest fraternity, and group of men I have ever met. Although Masonry is not for everyone, the fact that a friend whom he has known for 30 years has invited him due to his "strong character" ,I get the feeling he will understand the precepts of Freemasonry, and will enjoy the brotherhood. There is no need to worry about the 'Initiation" this is just the first of three degrees that your father would be conferred and each has its own lessons and instruction, and he is Initiated into the Fraternity. I have been a Mason for only 6 years and am now the Master of my lodge, and from my perspective the tenets and principles that Freemasnory stand for are Honest, Upright and Noble.

Just my 2 cents worth

Regards

Dredz

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Even if people are supposed to ask you to join, and not be invited.Tell your dad to knock the cowbwebs out of his mind, because is his lodge is traditional like mine he is going to have a LOT of memorization to do. (But also a lot of helpful brothers to guide him through it)

[edit on 3-8-2007 by brotherforchrist]

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Miniyoda,

Joining The Mason's was the single biggest thing I've done in my life. Personally I think I should have done it when I turned 21 because I enjoy it so much and get so much out of it! (Only Brethern will know what I mean).

The best piece of advice I can give is for you and your father to make up your own minds. Don't let anyone influence your decision either way. Read and research in libarys and on the internet, but be warned, there is alot of false stuff out there.

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by corsig
I'm with Dredz on this one, you couldn't be part of a better organization than the Masons.

Cory

Or he could take it even a step further and become a member of E Clampus Vitus like me!!

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 07:00 AM
link   
i've never been asked to join. i have a very strong interest in joing the oldest fraternity in the world. can you become a mason if your a convicted felon, covered in tattoos?

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 08:51 AM
link   
With a Criminal Record....you can't join.

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Thanks guys, i really appreciate the help. Its given me alot more to think about.

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 04:20 PM
link   
If you do join the Craft, you'll have a lot more to think about

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Today when my father got home he told me a friend of his has invited him to join the Masons.

There is no "regular" Lodge that invites people to membership. It is taboo. One has to ask for membership "without persuasion", sometimes as often as three times before being accepted as a candidate. Then it's taken to a full-quorum vote of the lodge you're joining, and depending on the jurisdiction, potentially everyone has veto power on the matter. No individual in Masonry is empowered to grant membership. Members are elected democratically.

can you become a mason if your a convicted felon, covered in tattoos?

That is entirely up to the Lodge you petition.

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Sorry, but I have to disagree..

Originally posted by xisuthros
There is no "regular" Lodge that invites people to membership. It is taboo. One has to ask for membership "without persuasion", sometimes as often as three times before being accepted as a candidate. Then it's taken to a full-quorum vote of the lodge you're joining, and depending on the jurisdiction, potentially everyone has veto power on the matter. No individual in Masonry is empowered to grant membership. Members are elected democratically.

The question was posed by a member from the United Kingdom and under the UGLE an invitation can be extended.

www.grandlodge-england.org...

An individual is so empowered to unilaterally make a man a Mason. If you refer to the Landmark Eighth, you'll find this prerogative called "to Make Masons at Sight."

Infrequently execised, and not recognized by every Grand Lodge, it does exist.

The Landmarks

Making Masons at Sight

[edit on 5/8/2007 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mirthful Me
Sorry, but I have to disagree..

Disagree all you like. Luckily, fact is not voted on.

www.grandlodge-england.org...

You would then in due course be invited to meet a committee of members from a Lodge you might be joining, prior to being balloted for membership of that Lodge.

Note how it doesn't say "invited to membership". Note how it does say "balloted for membership", which is the same thing I said.

If you refer to the Landmark Eighth, you'll find this prerogative called "to Make Masons at Sight."

If you refer to that landmark, instead of just a single phrase from it taken out of context, you will note that a Grandmaster has the prerogative to, with the assistance of not less than six other Masons, convene an Occasional Lodge, give a man a degree at sight, and then dissolve that Occasional Lodge.

Further, I have never encountered a Lodge that has ever done this, that endorses doing it, or that would by admission ever contemplate doing it.

It's great being able to read and interpret clear, plain English. I invite you to try it with me.

[edit on 5-8-2007 by xisuthros]

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 07:04 PM
link   

There is no "regular" Lodge that invites people to membership. It is taboo. One has to ask for membership "without persuasion"

xisuthros,

Mirthful Me has responded to this already, but I would add that there are at LEAST two Grand Lodges in the United States (both of which are QUITE "regular") who have lifted the old "2 B 1 Ask 1" rule. In these states a Mason is quite a liberty to ask a friend or acquaintance to join the Order. This has been true for at least 10 years that I am aware of in the Grand Lodge of Missouri.

Also, if one reviews one's obligations it is interesting to note that no ritual that I have EVER read says "I furthermore promise and swear that I will not solicit membership."

You're welcome to disagree, but "regular" Masonry varies greatly from Jurisdiction to Jurisdiction. Hell, some states (like Michigan) have even gone so far as to print the ritual in full, plain text AND remove the old symbolic penalties of the obligations. They're still "regular" though.

[edit on 5-8-2007 by Appak]

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Note also that when a Grandmaster exercises that prerogative, the newly degreed Mason is a member of the Occasional Lodge (which ceases to exist), and not the regular Lodge of the Grandmaster. Meaning that the degree is in essence honorary, and meaningless.

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Appak
You're welcome to disagree, but "regular" Masonry varies greatly from Jurisdiction to Jurisdiction.

"Regular" Masonry is in amity with the United Grand Lodge of England, and they don't solicit members, or allow the solicitation of members. That is precisely why I qualified what I said with the word "regular".

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Note also that when a Grandmaster exercises that prerogative, the newly degreed Mason is a member of the Occasional Lodge (which ceases to exist), and not the regular Lodge of the Grandmaster. Meaning that the degree is in essence honorary, and meaningless.

So when the Grandmaster (who is the FINAL authority in ANY Jurisdiction) exercises this authority and declares you a Mason, you're actually NOT a Mason? LOL. I suppose then when he declares the Grand Lodge open, it's not really open?

Sorry Brother. I'm afraid you need a bit more Masonic education. Unfortunately this is NOT the best site for it....nor is it even in contention.

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 07:13 PM
link   

"Regular" Masonry is in amity with the United Grand Lodge of England, and they don't solicit members, or allow the solicitation of members. That is precisely why I qualified what I said with the word "regular".

Exactly. And the Grand Lodge of Missouri

www.momason.org...

IS INDEED in amity with the UGLE. They are NOT however GOVERNED BY the UGLE, nor is ANY Grand Lodge. Each is autonymous.

and members OF the Grand Lodge of Missouri are at liberty to solicit membership. Plain and simple

I don't intend to bandy words with you about it. You can believe what you wish, but your original statements on this issue are incorrect.

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 07:16 PM
link   
I do not know how recently this was updated, but here is a list from Brother Paul Bessel's web-site regarding various (QUITE "regular") Grand Lodges and their solictation policies.

www.bessel.org...

Uhm...note with interest Brother what it says about the UGLE.

Light, and more light.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join