It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fighting global warming, well, will you?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 09:33 AM
link   
I drive a 05 Hybrid Civic ... in the mid 40s city 60s highway ... had a trip near 80 mpg on the interstate (I-10). I drive as little as possible and go to the store to get as much as I can in one trip as not to have the need to go back. I change the fluids at the manufacturer's recommendation (5,000 severe 10,000 normal for oil) instead or the service manager's 3000 or sooner.

I know there are at least 9-10 bulbs changed to flourescent. I turn off everything not in use and also unplug some things as well. I use the most efficient way to cook things (and sometimes don't even cook the leftovers). I am a vegetarian so I cut down on all the pollution related to that
Use energy settings on appliances and have very efficient appliances to start with.

I will not live without A/C in FL though, but don't really use heat during the winter. Nat. gas water heater. if it is any consolation, my power grid is Nuclear ... take that how you will. I hope one day scientists will be smart and figure out how to used the 'waste' as energy ... since it is emitting radioactivity ... which is still a form of energy.

I also minimize my water use as best I can. NEVER water the yard ... but I do have fish, so, my savings break even at times ... but the water changes can feed plants, even the ones outside

Not much more I can do at the moment to reduce ... but keep thinking.

I think if everyone contributes what they can we will make a difference ... too bad some people think global warming = cigarettes

It is ok as far as my net worth is concerned ... if Greenland and Antartica melt, my house will be prime beach front real estate ... AND ... there won't be anymore ice to melt to make it rise
So even though I am doing all I can, if someone makes me rich at the unfortunate cost of the environment, I can't beat them into changing.

I wish we could stop from destroying the forests for petty reasons ... whether cattle or housing developments ... build up, not out.

you know, global warming is discredited more in the media for the most part until people started having enough ... if enough of us have a voice, we are heard, regardless of what you think.

CO2 = higher temperatures ... record CO2 levels and rising ... I bet you a Kindergarten student can figure that one out ... wake up! stop supporting the Bush agenda and his lobbyists. Bush's daddy says global warming is a farce, you know he loves his daddy!

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Sure, polar bears might disappear and we will lose some coastline, but the planet will adapt

Yeah, The Polar bears may disappear. Thats not so bad, Really. Its only an ENTIRE #ING SPECIES

Also, we could also lose some coastline, its not like anything is near the coast anyway. Except for most of the human race.

Smooth.

Global warming has been taken over by politicians, yes. Doesn't mean it isn;t real though.

But everyone knows politicians are evil!!11!! how can you agree with common sense when an evil VOTED REPRESENTATIVE is in charge?

(you may not realise, this is satire
)

Well, maybe the insides of several billion are But are you saying it's better to use filament lightbulbs which cost more to run? I guess you;re another of those with money to burn?

Well down here in Australia we have people handing out free boxes of those light bulbs. Ive got about 18 hanging around somewhere, just given to me buy a girl outside the local hardware stores.

A bath tub is a little less complex than the interaction between us, Earth, our atmosphere, and the Sun.

Yes, thats why an ANALOGY isnt exact. It doesnt need to be exact, it just needs to give the idea of what he is presenting.

Also, your statement about Africa i won't even respond too, because that is just plain insulting.

I find not responding to ideas is insulting.

but is it insulting to say that someone is killing their rainforests if they are...um..killing their rainforests?

If you can't see that global warming is a big fat scam, then you are no better than those who still think 9/11 was commited by Osama. There is plenty of evidence to show that the current climate shift is being caused by other factors, and not humans.

A scam to accomplish what, pray tell?

Higher awareness of the effect of humans on our planet?

THOSE EVIL SNEAKY BASTARDS!

Seriously, look at the result before you slam the method. Bigger picture.

Global Warming is half baked science. There are many scientists who recognise this, and have spoken up about it.

Really? I would like to see these 'scientists'. Ive seen nothing but affirmation on the idea that humans are increasing global temperature.

I answered your question already. No, i won't do anything, because there is no reason too! And no, i'll post in here if i want. I don't want to see peopel get sucked into yet another scam.. the "War on Global Warming"..

Because you sound like such a champion of humanity [/sarcasm]

Seriously, we are kicking the Earth while its down with all this pollution bull#, if your moronic enough to sit there while you use electricity like blood then you really have to think about how people see you.

Also, its not quack. You just haven't realised that your wrong yet

Awww, its like he's trying to make an argument and just cant quite get the hang of Intelligent discussion

Tell me why ANYONE should give a damn about Global Warming? Why is it the individuals responsibility? If its anyones job to change, its industry and government!

Trying to shift the blame. Industry works by providing for the consumer, you consume, industry creates. YOU are the problem. Deal with it like a man.

We can not continue our current paradigm and be green. It won't work. The governments know this, but they don't care, because there are still people out there like you who buy their distorted truths and half baked politically motivated science.

Like you, you stubbornly refuse to change. Its better to have a greener world, but because you buy into 'distorted truths and half baked politically motivated science' you do nothing.

Sorry boyo, but you lose this one. If you dont 'conform' (OH NO! Unity!!11!) you will be scorned and left behind.

I, for one, hope you do. I prefer justice to go to those deserving of punishment, and Gaea is very very cross.

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by shrunkensimon
No, we are not causing climate change.. .

So the centre of London is exactly the same temperature today as it would have been had London never been built and had remained tidal marsh and scrubland? UHIs are complete myth?

Chopping down a rain forest does not in any way reduce evapotranspiration and therefore has no effect on convective storm development?

High level clouds do not reflect outgoing radiation back to earth and therefore aircraft contrails have no effect on the climate - indeed, they don't even exist (after all, cloud cover is all part of climate)?

Sulphur particles emitted by 1 volcano can cause global cooling, but all those emitted by industrial processes every year fail to have any effect whatsoever?

Changes to the albedo of the planet has no effect on radiation absorption?

Humans are causing climate change, in many different ways.

And so is nature.

You also need to remember that mainstream media is controlled.. they only push the stories which are of benefit to the leaders/globalists. And global warming is one of them.

Whether the media is controlled or not, I always tell people that when it comes down to climate never beleive anything the media say - regardless of anything else they have little understanding of the subject and deliberately misquote out of context in order to create a misleading, but more dramatic, story. Even the BBC have been caught out doing that. On several occasions. The tabloids are much worse!

(Knowing some of the people misquoted helps you recognise this
)

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 03:56 AM
link   
I've been thinking sereiously about buying myself a nice, cheap house out in the country and installing some solar-panels. About $14,000 you get a powerplant that will make you self-sufficiant for a long time. The plant I've looked at has a guarantee of 25 years of flawless service but they also say that it will most probably run with minor maintenance for at least the double ammount of time. Works in cloudy weather and everything.

After installing this I will build myself one heck of a green house and grow tobacco, mango, herbs and all kinds off stuff the aristocrat in me can't live without.

After that I will spend the rest of my days laughing at all the "others".
What do you think?

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 04:19 AM
link   
led lights sounds awesome....other than that...cool we gonnna be sand people soon^^with the spears and stuff^^

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 06:03 AM
link   
i leave my A/C on high!, love to freeze and then cuddle under a couple blankets...as soon as i can afford it i will buy the biggest SUV i can find.
global warming will keep on happening no matter what we do...why are we so arrogant to think us measly humans can actually reverse something that has been happening off and on since the world was born?
keep wishing!

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 06:08 AM
link   
well sayd
and i though ur gonna hate me for what i sayd^^

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 06:09 AM
link   
The thing is that why I am so eager to participate in this kind of discussion is because I have been waiting for so many years for this debate to reach the public. Some may say it has happened way too late, but at least now people recognize this threat for real and even major goverments worldwide are opening their eyes. This is not news in any way, this has been known for a long time. I am so glad that just this issue is finally brining us closer all around the world. Those who stand outside this can't be taken sereiously and those who even try to fight this movement must be seen as enemies of our future, a future I tend to live in.

Tell me why ANYONE should give a damn about Global Warming? Why is it the individuals responsibility? If its anyones job to change, its industry and government! You mite also want to realise that Americas "way of life" will have to end if you want to be true to "fighting climate change", because at present, America is the most inefficient nation on the planet.

Do I need to qoute myself even? You fall on your own grip mister:

Originally posted by Raud
The great "pollutors" out there, power plants and industries don't do such things for their own good, they do it to please you: the consuming masses, EVERYTHING is done for you, me, us, them, all. If we do not consume, there will be no production. It's a bizarre game of give and take, eat and #, kill to live. And above all stands money, money, money...

Do I need to discribe it closer? Draw a map for you? I have colorful crayons you might enjoy.

We can not continue our current paradigm and be green. It won't work. The governments know this, but they don't care, because there are still people out there like you who buy their distorted truths and half baked politically motivated science.

"We can not continue our current paradigm and be green"? What the hell is that supposed to mean? What should we do then? Do you think we can dig up the planet and suck it dry just like that because some huge mothership from outer space will come and refill our stockpiles soon? That was the dumbest crap I've ever heard. Sereiously. I really hope I misunderstood something in that post...

Green taxes and being slightly greener will do absolutely nothing to stop any climate chage... your just allowing yourself to be ripped off even more than you are now.

Ok, but if it is about SAVING UP on energy, won't that mean SAVING money, i.e. the opposite of being "ripped off"? Green taxes is one way of fighting this disease, but it's just one way (and it's relevancy and effect can be discussed IN ANOTHER THREAD). But usually, at least where I come from, you get relieved from these taxes if you cope with the countermeasures, such as buying a flexi-fuel or bio-fuel car, change the way you heat your house, use more public transports, and so on. Green taxes have their maximum effect on industries, by the way.

Also, its not quack.

Yes, Yes it is.

For being a person with that uses that kind of avatar you seem to have very little insight in how this world is all connected.

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Raud
For being a person with that uses that kind of avatar you seem to have very little insight in how this world is all connected.

Hahah... or maybe you have just overlooked what you preach. Try again.

It does not matter what we do. If we stopped everything that is supposedly contributing to "global warming" right now, the process would still continue on without us, because we are not the ones controlling it!

Also, if everyone is not onboard with the global warming agenda, then why bother? Unless of course, you want everyone to be united with a one world system, which is ultimately the goal of the "global warming" scam.. it still amazes me that people scream "terror terror 9/11 new world order", yet when another system comes along, based on exactly the same ideas, they take the other side again

The only force strong enough to affect global weather is the Sun/cosmos. I suggest you go look up natural cosmic cycles, and 2012, and then think long and hard about how the New World Order is really going to evolve! Terrorism was part one. Thats over. Now begins phase 2.

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 09:02 AM
link   

The only force strong enough to affect global weather is the Sun/cosmos. I suggest you go look up natural cosmic cycles, and 2012, and then think long and hard about how the New World Order is really going to evolve! Terrorism was part one. Thats over. Now begins phase 2.

Ok, now you are just ridculous. I am very well informed about the 2012-deal, more than you expect and apperently more than you. And I also see a grave difference between the "war on terror" issue and the global warming issue. One of them is to "protect" us against "terrorists" (note that I use quotation marks when using the word "protect" when it seems to be equal to "control" and "terrorists" seems to mean "anybody" nowadays). The other is about doing whatever we can to make life sustainable for a little longer. I do understand that some people react just like you do to this new threat, and with react I mean paranoid fear and panic. The U.S. way of life has to go for the sake of all of us, but so has the rising industrial problematics of China and India for example since they also seems to persue this lifestyle. I have full understanding that this problem we are experiencing right now are due to the massive overpopulation of the planet and that many millions of us have to give way if we want some "real" change. That might sound horrid and totally inhumane, and of course it is. Yet, I see little other options. Anyhow, this eradication will probably take care of itself when our supplies of food are out and natural disasters take their toll. Heard you guys have a super volcano in wait up in yellowstone. Should be any day now, shouldn't it? At times I am scared too, but what will fear do? Not much I guess, apart from contributing to distorted viewpoints and hysteria that no-one benefits from. This is also to be connected with the Mayan prophecies of 2012, a global issue, impossible to avoid or ignore will generate a new kind of mentality, bringing us together as one species and revaluating our existance. Like an evolutionary next step for the human mind and an extention and refining of our collective awareness. That has nothing to do with this so-called "NWO" (if you want to discuss the "NWO" go to the "NWO" forum, not this one, in fact, stay the hell out of this one).

By the way, yes, there has been GW before but not even CLOSE to the severety of this one. If we were experiencing one like the ones prior, we could live through it, but our massive, uncontrollable use of fossile fuel together with our unsustainable abuse of natures resources makes this turn way, way, WAY worse than before.

I did my math, I looked at the information at the result is as follows:
GW is real, I can see it all the time by comparing the increased severity and occurance of melting polar ice, extreme weather and increased pollution.
People who still, in the year 2007 say that some thought-up world goverment is just making this up to supress the average Joe are paranoid trouble makers who in the end will kill us all while closing their eyes and shaking their heads saying: "this is not happening", or the even more moronic: "I didn't do it, nature did".

Get a grip. Read a book. My mind and views will not change, never.

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 09:43 AM
link   

i leave my A/C on high!, love to freeze and then cuddle under a couple blankets...as soon as i can afford it i will buy the biggest SUV i can find.

And the wacky part is that if i kill you, I'D go to jail!

Goddamn i hate people sometimes.

@Raud- I hear you brother, you seem to have 'opened your eyes' (to use the term these moronic masses sometimes use) to the bigger picture.

Seriously. I hate it when people say they are going to "buy an SUV and use their Air Conditioners" all day. Simply because that kind of stupidity should be illegal.

I dont want to say the words 'global warming' because that means that im subscribing to the faith.

No, im anti pollution and pro intelligence.

You can listen to scientists droning on all day, pointing at graphs telling you whats happening. I dont care, a scientist can speak to me for days using all the graphs and #e that he wants and i wont care. why? because noone yet has been able to defeat my challenge.

it has no graphs. No Patronizing "open your eyes" like im the only thing that is correct in the universe. All i do is tell a person to get as close as you can to one of those chemical plants.

i want them to watch the endless cloud billowing from the chimneys

i want them to smell it, to see its hue, to taste it in the back of their mouths.

Then i just ask a simple question.

Is this right?

Its all well and good saying that Global Warming isnt an issue while you are in your SUV's and Air Conditioners. But out in the real world, the earth is dying.

Dont give me graphs, dont give me skewed information and links to pages i wont read.

i want you to go outside and watch the pollution rise into the air. I dont need to know what kind of pollution it is, what its doing, or anything like that. It just needs to go.

and if any bastard ever comes up to me saying that Global Warming is a swindle and they wont do anything, they deserve only my scorn, my pity and my fists if they are annoying enough.

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 09:56 AM
link   
@Octavius Maximus

Well, should I say thank you or what? I guess you can thank yourself, and in the extention I could thank you, even though earth itself should do the thanking.

Nevertheless, the struggle to maintain the meaning of my raped thread continues.

Would you be so kind as if to answer the questions I wanted answers/opinions on?

Thanks (yet again).

Btw: Let me just make it clear that I think that all kinds of pollution is sick, twisted and just outright unforgivable, no matter what kind of pollution we are talkning about. Some of it we can control and remove, some are permanent. Most of it is limited to some area, thank the gods, but some just circulates the wind and water. Anyway, GW is the major problem since it's effects on the world might increase already exsisting pollution-related hazards. Just imagine a super-tornado or earthquake hitting a nuclear power plant, or a massive flood washing away some cyanide or dioxine producing plant. Holy schmite that would be a mess...

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Meh, i give up. If you want to go "green" and feel that your making a huuuge difference (insert sarcasm), go ahead.. your just playing into the hands of those who control us.

If anyone is being paranoid and fearful, its you and the rest who believe Global Warming is real, because if you did a little research, you'd find quite a substantial amount of evidence that shows quite honestly that GW is a bunch of crock.

Whilst im all up for cutting back on pollution and being more green, im not up for doing it just because the government and "experts" say we need too. Science and politics are a bad combination.. whilst they mite appear to have our best interests at heart, you should know that is not the case.

They lie to us on a daily basis. What makes you so sure this is any different?

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 03:03 AM
link   

Because I am not a US citizen? The goverment around here is not flawless but I would like to think they don't lie to us all the time.

Would it not make more sense that this "NWO" would be more pro-GW, oil burning, mining and stripping the earth or resources than the opposite? Something that I never understood is the "bad" or "evil" thing about the GW-agenda, maybe we can't stop what is already set in motion but I hardly think it would hurt to do what little we can. Another thing; George W. Bush is often seen to have some sort of connection with the "NWO" but he is not very eager to fight GW. There is a hole in Shrunkensimons story, one could almost say that it makes no sense.

Now, back to the original purpose of the thread (please read the very first post on page 1).

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 05:50 AM
link   
I think you need to realise that oil using, natural resource stripping etc will STILL continue on, even with all this global warming banter. Oil prices are engineered anyway, that is a conspiracy in itself..

At the end of the day, the global warming idea will make money. If anything, prices will go UP to counter any decrease in sales or revenue. The big corporations etc will still try to rip you off just as much as they do now. They really do not care about being Green, because they themselves know that GW is distorted truth.

The New World Order itself is not just about money, its about control. They don't care what it takes, so long as they get what they want. And if you step back for a second, you will see very quickly that GW is a means of control, and a very effective one at that. Not everyone is afraid of Osama, but the vast majority are afraid of the power of nature.. and if you can convince them its a threat, most will listen! You also need to realise that they wouldn't be doing this if it wasn't absolutely necessary; They know that Earth is about to go through some climate shift, and the true reason for that is something they don't want people to know about. They have to say something, otherwise people get suspicious and look for the truth themselves. So they put out THEIR version of the truth, which in the end, only benefits them/elite.

Again, im up for being more green and in harmony with Earth, but thats not going to happen unless we overhaul the way we, as a planet, function. Thats only going to come through two ways; NWO, or a revolution of mankind.

But the methods proposed by our governments will not change a damn thing. At the end of the day, it will only increase the rich/poor divide, and make life even more miserable than it is now, especially when you see that the climate shift is changing on its own..

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Now the argument has reached a much more interesting and cultivated level! A much welcomed improvemet (even though my original intention of this thread has been mutilated, as usual).

It's quite logic to me that as our resources (ore, oil, gas, forest, etc.) is moving closer to depleted, prices will go up. There is absolutely nothing sinister about that, it's only the ol' system of "supply and demand".

I know, for sure, that extreme weather is becoming more exreme. Every week there is reports of "coldest ever", "most rain since ever", "longest draught ever" and so on. The suffering and famine of the population in developing countries increase more and more. I know that icecaps around the world is melting, dry areas become drier, wet ones wetter. I k n o w this, I've seen it and I see it all the time. I am fairly sure that this is caused by the climate becoming warmer due to a thickening layer of carbondioxide caused by the usage of fossile fuels. It is just so simple it does not need more explaining. We were even tought this back in primary school, many, many years ago and it made sense then, and it makes even more sense today.
Since none of us (I like to presume) has lived for 500 years (at least not in this life) it's hard to see the drastic changes of the climate. It is very easy to assume that the weather has been like this since the dawn of time (i.e. the day we were born) but I promise you, it has not. If the weather on this planet had always been like this, certain locations would probably not have been inhabited at all.

I have my doubts about this "NWO"-deal, but I am very well aware of the new age of control and shadow goverments that are acting together globally. It is very easy to see their intentions now that their organisation has become too massive to hide. But if they push us in a direction of living more green, at least something good has come out of it. But as I already said, GW is only news for those who haven't thought about it before. I was very well aware of it long before this so called "GW hype". Most obviously many people will try to make business out of it, it's a trend and trends are made to be exploited economically, that is called capitalism. But the flexi-fuel trend is way better than the SUV trend if you catch my drift. Hopefully this will be more than a trend and hopefully we will continue this struggle for survival until mother Earth has had a chance to regenerate herself a little bit.

If the "NWO" or whomever wants to "control us" through the works against GW they can do whatever they want. If prices go up and we become ruined, who will then keep the society and industry alive? We, the consuming masses are what keeps the "NWO" in charge by our thoughtless consumption. If we have no more money to pump into the global economy we are no good to them.

The "NWO is behind GW"-conclusion needs A LOT more solid proof before I will believe it. The fear is that this would be true originates from the general US-public (no surprise there) because someone are trying to deprive them from their mindlessly greedy gasoline-gulping lifestyle. It was out of hand in the beginning and it's spinning faster and faster as it goes. USA is the biggest polluter and consumer by far. Soon it will fall from it's throne and become a subdued nation, subdued by the loss of their lifestyle; a lifestyle that HAS to go NOW. Blame it on the "NWO" as much as you want but me, personally would also like to see it go away.

[Edit=So many typos]
[edit on 4-8-2007 by Raud]

[edit on 4-8-2007 by Raud]

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 08:24 AM
link   
@Raud, your welcome
. In reference to your original post i am fully ready to do what it takes. I have never had air conditioning and im on my way to buying a Prius

go ahead.. your just playing into the hands of those who control us.

So if they already control us, why does it make a difference if i go green or not? Are we truly slaves if we dont even notice enslavement?

you'd find quite a substantial amount of evidence that shows quite honestly that GW is a bunch of crock.

You can also find a lot of evidence (alot MORE evidence, i venture to say) to see that its true. If you watched that Great Global warming swindle bull#e then you should have also watched the Scientific roundtable they held after it in Australia where the created was soundly beaten with the scientific stick of reason. It was a beautiful sight to see.

Whilst im all up for cutting back on pollution and being more green, im not up for doing it just because the government and "experts" say we need too.

So when will you cut back? When your air conditioner burns out and you cant afford a new one?

whilst they mite appear to have our best interests at heart, you should know that is not the case.

Because they are EVIIIILLLL!!!11! MWahahaHAHaaa!

*Ahem* please, just because you dont get everything you want doesnt mean the government is evil.

"They" is who? Its like on this site everyone points to "The Government" as the big bad. Totally forgetting that there are hundreds of governments and within those governments there are hundreds of factions and alliances.

I think you need to realise that oil using, natural resource stripping etc will STILL continue on, even with all this global warming banter.

Only because Supply is still catering for Demand. People like you who still # around with SUV's and air conditioning. Seriously, air conditioning? I suggest you grow some skin and live in it. I have no air conditioning in AUSTRALIA. Its not known as the sunburnt country for nothing.

The big corporations etc will still try to rip you off just as much as they do now.

Umm, yeah. Do you know how a corporation creates this thing called "Profit"? What they do is they buy something, and then sell it for a greater value. That is 'ripping off' and it is also 'profit'.

You are being ripped off with every purchase you make.

Not everyone is afraid of Osama, but the vast majority are afraid of the power of nature

Nature isnt the monster here, its man. Please get your arguement right.

and the true reason for that is something they don't want people to know about.

"Oh, Mother nature (the bitch) is making the planet hotter." That would be easy, they could also get some people who wear glasses and labcoats to verify this.

"Sorry humanity, we #ed up. We gotta fix this soon though" Now, thats much harder to say. But we said it. All those hundreds of companies who have pledge to do what they can, They have assumed guilt and are fixing on old mistake.

People who are trying to shift the blame onto nature are just cowards who cant live without a constant 18 degrees and an SUV

Again, im up for being more green and in harmony with Earth, but thats not going to happen unless we overhaul the way we, as a planet, function.[/quote

Good...Do it. You complain about what the earth is, but you dont want to change anything about it. Are you lazy, hypocritical, stupid or all 3?

But the methods proposed by our governments will not change a damn thing

Its called BIGGER PICTURE! What is the thing which causes global warming? Humans putting crap in the air. What do you need to do to end it? Stop humans from doing it. its working if all the positive affirmation is to go by.

Simply, if you want to # up a planet, get off mine.

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 07:38 PM
link   
When I move out in a few years and buy my first house, I will be walking or biking whenever possible rather than using the car. I will conserve electricity and as much hot water as possible. I will try to eat food in it's most base state (buying/growing raw produce and meat), free from pesticides, antibiotics, growth horomones, preservatives, or artificial sweetener.

However this won't be for the planet or anyone else. I am strongly opposed to the idea of anthropogenic (man-made) Global Warming. It will only be to save money and for my own health. And I'm sure as hell not giving up my air conditioning. It's worth every penny.

I'm glad to see that in the past year, many more people have become vocal about their beliefs that global warming is not man-made.

Also putting the Kyoto protocol into effect will literally devastate and ruin all of our economies. So basically if you believe in global warming, everyone is going to have to commit to going back to subsistence farming. Which no one is going to do... they're all far too comfortable now. Everyone talks about how global warming is going to end the world, but not even the believers are willing to act what they speak. What did Live Earth accomplish? NOTHING. Everyone just changed the channel when they started shoving environmental rhetoric down their throats between concerts.

[edit on 8/4/2007 by Yarcofin]

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 01:01 AM
link   

Also putting the Kyoto protocol into effect will literally devastate and ruin all of our economies.

Do you know what? This is soooo off the mark its not funny.

How about this?

Every nation in the world cuts off funding for military R&D for a few years. Its pointless and does nothing, so lets cut away the crap.

This money can be put into building new Power sources such as solar panels, wind and tidal generators and also nuclear and fusion (if we can perfect the technology) reactors.

Saying it will devastate an economy reminds me of 'An Inconvenient truth' with the scales. On one side it has Gold bars, on the other the planet earth.

Really, only a moron would make the former choice.

What did Live Earth accomplish? NOTHING. Everyone just changed the channel when they started shoving environmental rhetoric down their throats between concerts.

Pff i didnt watch Liveearth. Is was an attempt to get popular culture into saving the planet. Ie, it wasnt targetted at me as an audience.

Earth Hour, though, accomplished alot. Im not sure if it was only Sydney, but for an hour we got people to turn out their lights (at least). This was from 7:30 to 8:30.

Results?

"More than 2 million Sydney residents joined Earth Hour on Saturday March 31 between 7.30 and 8.30 by flicking the switch, turning appliances off stand-by and enjoying an hour of quiet darkness, according to poll results.

Residents and businesses across the city showed their support for Earth Hour resulting in an impressive 10.2% drop in energy usage across the usually glittering CBD, according to Energy Australia.

This is double the anticipated energy saving and represents a reduction of 24.86 tonnes of carbon dioxide - the equivalent of taking 48,613 cars off the road for an hour.

Polling company AMR Interactive surveyed close to 1000 Sydney residents and found 57% participated in Earth Hour by either switching off lights, turning off computers, televisions and other household appliances."

Source: earthhour.smh.com.au...

So here you are. What did it accomplish? POSITIVE AFFIRMATION. Proof that over 50% of sydneysiders are behind doing what they can for the planet.

Dont bitch about the world as a whole when, of course, you are only talking about your own country.

The Environmental Rhetoric, as you call it, is actually quite interesting. It has also lead to the creation of new technologies. Now in Sydney its hard to go to any hardware store without walking away with a pack of 8 energy efficient light bulbs for free.

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 03:28 AM
link   
@Octavius Maximus

Wow! That sounds so right! Way to go you aussies, you got it all right it seems. Feels good to hear that there is at least some hope for change out there.

I do agree with the Live Earth being silly, it was real stupid and shallow. But that was only one isolated occurance, one shold not focus entierly on that one. There will probably be more crap like that in the future, yet, even though they might be consuming a hell of a lot more energy than preserving they might as well be planting a teeny-weeny little seed in some of the younger population and paving the way for future generations to adopt the same views as we have. It's a hope, but I don't think that the producers behind LE thought that way themselves. They probably thought: "Money, alright!"

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join