It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Imigration-where to now

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 09:11 PM
link   
I have been faced with this issue for some time now. I have worked in a hispanic area for some time. Living with them and working side by side with them I hear stories of how they came, why they came here and what they want from this country. This is a touchy subject for many people. I have noticed that the justification for their being here is made null and void by the status of their citicenship. My argument is this. How can we say they shouldnt be here because they are going to be our downfall, when many of these immigrants dont come here to do us harm but rather to benefit their families back home. Which at the same time benefits us, because frankly there are some jobs that we dont flock to take..while many others that are citizens and speak perfect english(comparitively speaking) dont even want to work. Some would argue that they come to "milk" the system, do us harm, and in reality hate this country. I completely dissagree. I think that without immigrants many of our great accomplishments could not be possible, for example the rail system that the chinese built. Or the great public works the irish built in NYC. Imigration is a great thing because it diversifies a population giving it more options when a problem arrises, as well as offering an understanding of the world we share.

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 10:33 PM
link   
I too work with immigrants on a normal basis and I too see on a first hand basis the hard work they do for us. I too see nothing wrong with that, however I am still against illegal immigration and here is why.

First off a tried and true law, the law of supply and demand. What happens at the supermarket when a product gets overstocked? It goes on sale, aka it becomes cheaper. What happens when you have more people competing for the same amount of jobs, wages go down? If these jobs were across the board I might be for it; i.e.. If lawyers, teachers, federal employees, and other professional and wealthy individuals were losing their jobs at the same rates that blue collar workers were in this country great everyone would feel the problem and understand it on some level. If we had as many illegal doctors in this country as we do illegal construction workers health care would cost the same amount as what a framer would charge due to what the laws of supply and demand dictate.

Second, has anyone read the book or seen the movie "Time Machine" It's a story of a future in which mankind has achieved a near utopia in which man has become free from work and responsibility. It is a world in which everything is run for them and provided for them from a computer system. I see many parallels between this computer system and the illegals. The line "illegals do the jobs no Americans want to do" is garbage here is why. Why should any American take or be encouraged to take a job in which the wage is not sufficient for them to live. If the wage is not high enough to sustain a human being with his basic needs like food, shelter, transportation, and health care why should any living being take that job. Some jobs are not good enough for the lowest of humans to take. Everyone deserves to be treated with dignity regardless of their circumstances or past history.

We should be coming after these people who create these bad jobs rather than perpetuate the problem like our country did with slavery, endentured servants and in rescent history migrant workers. Slavery is slavery and I can not compare this to that. However cheap labor is also cheap labor and our country and the big businesses that have run it throughout have always been on a constant diet for the commodity of cheap labor.

One of the reason why Americans won't work in the fields isn't because they are lazy it is because they are smart. Do you understand the relationship between pesticides and cancer? Maybe they just didn't want to get cancer?

If I paid you 100k a year would you let me spray you with pesticides? The problem wasn't the wage, it was the job.

Or do you believe that you can only make yourself rich by making others poor?

new topics

join