It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's left of Nascar?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2007 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Back when I was a kid, which was not too long ago, Nascar was my life, I loved Richard petty, Dale Earnhart, Cale Yarborough, Hary Gant, etc.

But now, Nascar has slipped into something completely different. It has become a mindless circle of drunk fans and non-descript cars.

Now days, what makes a Ford Fusion a Fusion? They way it looks. You know right off the bat what it looks like, because that is what it is. So, If I were to slap some stickers on that Fusion and call it a Monte Carlo, would you believe me? Of course not, because all the stickers in the world still wouldn't change the look of the car, but it will with Nascar. The individuality of the cars are gone. They all run the same motors, with the same specs, and even the same body.

The individuality of nascar has been washed out following a cookie-cutter melee. "It's about the drivers!!" I'm sure many of you are screaming this right now, well, 50% is about the driver, the other 50% should be about the car.

Dodge doesn't compete against Chevy who should compete against Ford. Nascar's heyday is gone, with all that's left worshipping dead drivers.

Dale is dead, he was a great man, but he wasn't the best driver in Nascar history. Get over it.

posted on Jul, 20 2007 @ 06:39 PM
link   
I feel the same way; but it changed after Dale died, it just did. A lot of the older drivers are retiring and the new breed is stepping in. The rivalries aren't there yet, but with Tony Stewart there, that should change.

posted on Jul, 20 2007 @ 08:12 PM
link   
What's the difference between the death of Dale and the retirement of "The King"?

Not much, they were both phenomonal drivers, so don't get me wrong, drivers in nascar, past and present have got major skillz.

But when it comes down to it, what is so competitive about it any more? You can't find any other sport other than NHRA drag racing that has such strict regulations on the cars, engines, and competition. NHRA at least can still run different motor combinations, but nascar is forced to run the same engine, in the same car.

Take the stickers from one car and move them to another, what do you have?

The same car. How competitive is that? I want to see cars that look like cars again. Strip it down from a production model, put a cage in it, and off you go!! I'm building a dirt track car from an 88 honda civic. I'm swapping in an integra motor, and I'm gonna put a cage in it. Why? because it is racing, it looks like a honda, it's a honda engine, and I'm gonna be racing against toyotas, mazda's, etc. That's the difference.

Gee, I wonder what nascar will do next, go the other way?:bnghd:

posted on Jul, 20 2007 @ 11:08 PM
link   
I'd prefer they remove the restricter plates at races like Daytona. NASCAR is a funny bunch; but hey the guys that are cheating are trying.

posted on Jul, 21 2007 @ 07:22 PM
link   
The sponsorship of Winston changed NASCAR from the stock car races of my youth.

There's nothing stock about those cars now, but the sport is the safer for it. All that money has changed the sport from it's gritty seat of the pants beginnings, but it's still exciting.

My main complaint these days is the the camera work. With so many cameras on the track it's hard to get a sense of the total field and the speed involved.

There used to be just a couple of cameras at the track and most of the shots were long and you could really see what was going on in the field.

Now, it's just following a few leaders and a whole bunch of whizz, whizz, whizz shots.

I think they should get rid of restrictor plate races, but beyond these few complaints, I think NASCAR is NASCAR and it's really about drivers and constructors, as they say in F1.

posted on Jul, 23 2007 @ 09:48 PM
link   
With all the vanilla that has become nascar in it's last decade, what's left for the fans?

Aside from getting hammered, what is left to watch. I am honestly curious, what's the draw for you?

top topics

join