It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aussie sailors repel Iranian abduction attempt

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2007 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by sigung86 I have, in the past dealt with British SAS, Royal Marines, and known some fine Australian Military folks. I have students who are currently in the US Army, and the, what was formerly known as, US Marines, Force Recon. They are all great. Not always who you want to take home to Mama, perhaps, but a whole big, DAMNED site more useful than television and Paris Hilton...

File those types of response under, "Give me a break".....

sigung86, lol, yes this topic is a little more weighty than Paris Hilton having a hissy fit.

Apparently there are Aussie special forces taking part in the boarding parties. It takes a certain type of character to be a part of these units, and from the ones I've known it changes them for life, for better or worse.

[edit on 22-6-2007 by JamesinOz3]

posted on Jun, 22 2007 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by malganis
Good on them though, and I like the way they used 'colourful language' lol

I can just imagine; "why dant yoo git tha fack off mah baat roight nah ya leedle sheet"

Lol pretty much right. Take it from an Aussie... just insert...

"why dant yoo git tha fack off mah baat roight nah ya leedle Fackin sheet"

;-P

[edit on 22-6-2007 by DaRAGE]

posted on Jun, 22 2007 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Good job, better to teach the Iranians that the Aussies are not like the Brits to be picked on.

posted on Jun, 22 2007 @ 01:01 PM
link   
"Look, yer f***ing r*****d drongos, my dunny's bigger than that tub.
Now if you dont want to be the next prawn on the barbie, I'd point that mobile sh**pile towards home and shoot through, pronto like!"

Or words to that effect

posted on Jun, 22 2007 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by sy.gunson
Aussies are tostesterone cowboys and less likely to follow the same strict rules of engagement.

Sad to say since I am British myself, but the Brits are too inhibited by rules and indecision.

I agree the Brits have gone all PC in the military, we need some nutters that are used to fighting.Sending those clowns with there ipods was a clusterf..... of a mess.

We need hard people who can take some abuse.

And some were Marines, that should have resulted in some deaths.So much for the tough training.

And if you don`t like toughness and being shot at or possible killed don`t join up.:@@

[edit on 22-6-2007 by nescafe8572]

posted on Jun, 22 2007 @ 11:30 PM
link   
According to the following article the stand off with the Aussies lasted for four hours during which they were basically surrounded and greatly outnumbered by the Iranian gunboats.

canberra.yourguide.com.au...

23 June 2007

Expletives delete Iran attack

David McLennan

The Australian navy has praised the actions of its sailors in repelling a confrontation with Iranian gunboats using, in part, "highly colourful language", but declined to compare it to the capture of 15 British sailors earlier this year.

The BBC said the contrasting results of the two incidents was embarrassing for the British navy.

Commodore Steve Gilmore, revealing details of the tense four-hour stand-off yesterday, confirmed the Australians had been doing routine board-and-search activities when the confrontation had taken place on December 6, 2004.

Initially confronted by one Iranian Revolutionary Guard gun boat, the situation had quickly escalated when four more, armed with rocket-propelled grenades, had turned up 45 minutes later.

The incident happened close to the Iraq-Iran border, reportedly at the mouth of the Shatt al-Arab river, when 12 Australians and two interpreters from the frigate HMAS Adelaide, boarded the MV Shams merchant cargo ship, which had run aground three days earlier.

Commodore Gilmore said the boarding went very well.

"In the process of extracting that boarding party, one vessel, a small vessel from the Iranian revolutionary guard, moved very close by and began very overt gestures.

"They were all armed with automatic weapons, and at that time the Australian officer in command [Petty Officer Andrew Keitley] seized the initiative and demonstrated very, very sound judgment and excellent leadership.

"He got his boarding party back on the ship, established a very credible and appropriate defensive position and began what I think is very unique in the Australian way, and that is the capacity to negotiate."

Commodore Gilmore said he could not elaborate on what was said.

"I think as Australians we might imagine what was there, I haven't delved into that to give you any specific details, but I think the important thing to note is it worked."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

posted on Jun, 23 2007 @ 04:16 AM
link   
Good for the Aussie`s.

Don`t the British govt no we have History, the Iranians know we kicked Sadams Arse, they know we are well trained, well equipped and we have proved ourselves in Battle as being brave.

Up until this happened.

If you are outnumbered and surrounded but you hold your ground, the opposition suddenly think crap these guys are either nutters or very good at killing.The Iranians don`t get paid enough and are treated badly so there not gonna die for there country.

We used to tell our kids that if a bully starts on you, you hit him hard as you can.But now were told to take it then go and tell the teacher.Well in this situation there isnt any teachers, they should have fought back and if so died rather than be filmed looking like a bunch of idiots.If they`d tried to put me in one of those stupid suits and filmed me I`d have killed my self trying to stick it up there arseholes or not but then I didn`t choose the Military.

If they didn`t want to die, they should have choosen another career and stayed home.

[edit on 23-6-2007 by nescafe8572]

posted on Jun, 23 2007 @ 04:27 AM
link   
Hurray for the aussies!!the iranians are not recognizing un boundries show if it takes a military slap to wake them up so be it

posted on Jun, 23 2007 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by deltaboy
Good job, better to teach the Iranians that the Aussies are not like the Brits to be picked on.

Yet again more praise from our greastest ally with troops of such high calibre that they cant tell the difference between orange panels and rocket launchers....but never mind , its not like the two ribs where caught out in the open by heavily armed iranian guards eh?

posted on Jun, 23 2007 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Devilwasp Hi

Didn`t a member tell you every time there`s an argument on these threads your right in the middle.You trying to prove him right.

Only Joking though.

I thought you`d be in the Army by now, hows that going.

posted on Jun, 23 2007 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by nescafe8572
Devilwasp Hi

Didn`t a member tell you every time there`s an argument on these threads your right in the middle.You trying to prove him right.

Only Joking though.

I thought you`d be in the Army by now, hows that going.

No I just dont like it when someone insults the british military when he himself devots his life to studying the american one? I have grown alot in the last few months and I tend to ignore these jibes but when its by someone you respect then you must act.

I'm an officer in the merchant navy if you must ask...

posted on Jun, 23 2007 @ 11:57 PM
link   
From what I can tell comparison of both events is a moot point as the nature of both events were significantly different. The Brits acted according to the circumstances they were caught in and which enabled their capture; the aussies acted in response to the particular circumstances upon which they had to face. The Aussies were however commended and awarded for their bravery when they returnd from their tour of duty by the Prime Minister when he awarded the leader of the sailors trapped during the inspection and the helicopter pilot who rescued them Australia's highest military bravery honours.

[edit on 24-6-2007 by JamesinOz3]

[edit on 24-6-2007 by JamesinOz3]

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 06:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp

I'm an officer in the merchant navy if you must ask...

You`ve moved along alot since the last time we spoke some four years ago, I think now.

That sounds so spooky.

Good luck with the Merchies

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 02:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by BASSPLYR
NO Doubt. No DOubt. The Aussies are friggen awsome!! Thats how it's done.

"THe Aussies were having none of it" Awesome!!!!!

I could see it now.

Angry Iranian skipper commando screaming something in persian at the aussies. pulls out a combat knife.

aussie crew start laughing. Aussie skipper "thats not a knife"

Iranian raiders look at each other slightly confused at the aussies reaction

Aussies still laughing as their skipper pulls out his own knife "now this is a knife!"

Iranians turn white grumble to themselves turn around and solomly shuffle back onto their raiding craft and shove off.

chumps.

GO AUSTRALIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've been told by reputable people to never mess with Aussie marines either.

lol we dnt hav marines. our navy doube as marines when they have 2

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join