It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is PHI so prevelant in nature???

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2007 @ 04:20 AM
link   
I was just wondering how many other people on ATS are fasicinated how PHI and the fibbonaci's sequence are found throughout not only nature but space and even our own DNA. It just makes me wonder, Who or what is propelling a force such that is would create the same ratio found in a Galaxy and a seashell? Could this sequence of numbers represent something bigger? This series of numbers and the spiral represent perfection to ifinity, could this be the face of God?

posted on Jun, 18 2007 @ 09:25 AM
link   
You may get more respopnses if you give a breif analysis or description or what PHI and Fibonacci numbers are instead of just asking a general question about them.

I would imagine that many people don't know what they are.

posted on Jun, 18 2007 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Good Idea, Here is a website to familarize anyone who is not already on what Phi is.

posted on Jun, 18 2007 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Here are some more examples taken from the website.

Many more examples can be found by simply typing in the keywords under google or yahoo.

posted on Jun, 18 2007 @ 02:32 PM
link   
yes, it is totally fascinating! how one number can pop up so many times in nature, art, buildings, books, maths, astronomy and pretty muh any other field is absolutely amazing

it makes you wonder if we are indeed all part of a big design....that there is a higher being/beings that designed everything and that we are now on the same path to acheiving something similar in a few millennia....or even sooner...

[edit on 18-6-2007 by owzitgarn]

posted on Jun, 18 2007 @ 02:44 PM
link   
i remember the "da vinci code" novel having a nice opening about phi, sadly though the movie did not mention the number, instead consentrated on symbols.

i wonder looking at the phi examples with peoples faces. If you had a picture of just a small section of someones face, would you be able to recreate the entire photo based on the ratio?

posted on Jun, 18 2007 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by tom goose
i wonder looking at the phi examples with peoples faces. If you had a picture of just a small section of someones face, would you be able to recreate the entire photo based on the ratio?

Thats a pretty good question! I would be pretty interested in seeing if that is possible. I'm not sure if it would be though since it only takes a fraction of an inch to alter someones look, and I'm not sure if the ratio's are that miniscule in accuracy.

[edit on 18-6-2007 by kleverone]

posted on Jun, 18 2007 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by tom goose

Very good question. I am not sure if it could reconstruct the whole face, but I bet that 'phi' is somehow used in the formula to analyze faces for the facial recognition software used to analyze security videos, and identify people of interest.

DocMoreau

posted on Jun, 18 2007 @ 07:39 PM
link   
I guess what gets me really thinking is why this particular ratio and who or what is responsible for generating it? Can it be fugured out? Can we comprehend it? When I first read the book, The Golden Ratio by Mario Livio a few years back, I was surprised to discover how this ratio can be found througout nature, everywhere in the universe. I recommend it.

[edit on 18-6-2007 by kleverone]

posted on Jun, 18 2007 @ 08:54 PM
link   
the Greeks called it the golden mean or the golden ratio and it is one of the things that make Greek columns so graceful; they used its progression to lay out the taper of the columns so that they looked less massive and lighter. It served no other purpose than asthetics.

As for what it means? You could easily ask why most natural sounds from whale songs to wolf howls to the music of the spheres is in B flat.

They are one of those things that suggest more than anything else an intelligence behind the universe.

posted on Jun, 18 2007 @ 10:39 PM
link   
it's probably just a simple growth model that nature tends to follow. nothing special

posted on Jun, 19 2007 @ 07:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
it's probably just a simple growth model that nature tends to follow. nothing special

a growth model perhaps but there is nothing simple about it... to quote William Blake it is: "A fierce symmetry."

posted on Jun, 19 2007 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul

Thats my whole point, I believe that it is special, my question is why? I am aware of the shortest disatance between to points, but this is not the case.

posted on Jun, 21 2007 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by kleverone
nt, I believe that it is special, my question is why? I am aware of the shortest disatance between to points, but this is not the case.

Maybe the shortest path between two points, but while maintaining a constant 'structural integrity'. Sort of like arched doorways and domes... I am sure the ones that worked, were within the Golden Mean...

Either way, very thought provoking thread.
Doc Moreau

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 02:16 AM
link   
Gee, am I late to this thread or what? Great idea for a post.

kleverone, I have long been enamored by 1.618033988749895... as well. I, for one, see it as evidence of intelligent design. And you're right, it is everywhere, but not limited in nature, as this website shows.

goldennumber.net...

This site has info on all these related topics:

Fibonacci Series
Mathematics
Geometry
The proportions of the human body
The proportions of many other animals
Plants
DNA
The solar system
Art and architecture
Music
Population growth
The stock market
The Bible and in theology

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 02:46 AM
link   
Yes, it is an interesting number, but hardly unique. The strange numbers e, π, and even i also show up everywhere.

[edit on 7/5/2007 by djohnsto77]

posted on Oct, 7 2007 @ 10:47 AM
link   
I just thought I would kick this back up to the top so that other noobs besides myself can appreciate how many great topics are on ATS. Not just reptilians and demons.

I would love to see more threads like this on the board. This is the type of thread that got me hooked on ATS but I am losing interest fast - I am sure others are just as frustrated. Lately I have been surfing the back pages to stay interested.

Thanks for a great post and thread.

posted on Oct, 7 2007 @ 10:54 AM
link   
I feel ya, I am growing very tired of Reptillian threads. I think that if people stop responding to them they will go away. They are counter-productive imho. I understand that they come with the territory but they have been recieving way too much attention lately.

posted on Oct, 7 2007 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Excellent post.

Look at the word nature...The root is "A TURN". See Nature is the turning, the spiral mimics the growth movement to the sun from east to west over and over. Life grows twords the sun.

[edit on 7-10-2007 by dntwastetime]

posted on Oct, 7 2007 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by dntwastetime

Flag the mutha!

I started this thread back in June, glad to see it back to life.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join