It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Word of the Year for 2003!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 01:10 PM
link   
He picks "Clusterf*ck". GREAT article, I referenced one or two salient points, but read it at the link if you have the time, it's worth it.

He also mentions how the organization that perpetrated the most terrorist acts is the Executive Branch of the US Government.

Booya!

www.counterpunch.org...

"It Isn't "Joy"
Word of the Year for 2003
By BEN TRIPP

...The word for the year 2003, ladies and others, is 'cluster#'. I leave it to you to embellish to taste, appending 'complete and utter' or 'unmitigated', for example.

It's a succinct, crisp word, a compound word it is true, but of the short, robust English type, not one of these bloodless attenuated things the Northern Europeans go in for. The first half is from the Old Teutonic 'kluttro', meaning 'clump', and the second word's derivation is much contested by dirty-minded etymologists although I happen to know, due to some rare 9c. illustrated manuscripts in my collection, that it comes from the Middle English 'fkye', to fidget restlessly or flirt, from the Old German 'fyken', to make swift movements back and forth, rub, or flick (which shows they were thinking about technique, even then). Linguists will experience a shiver of delight at my use of the word 'swift', above, which is related to 'swive', another word for fukka (old Swedish slang for copulation). The compound word of which I speak is not nearly so old and venerable as its component parts, having first been identified in common use in 1969 (make of that what you will). It is a military term invented especially to describe the first Vietnam war. It means 'a bungled or confused undertaking'. There's been much undertaking of late. Say it with me people: 2003 was a cluster#.

...Instead let's look at the War on Terrorism, as it is known, although I prefer the term 'Total War All the Time', or 'TWAT' for short. Terrorism is threats or violence by unofficial entities used to intimidate larger societies and governments. Who has perpetrated the most terrorism in 2003? Golly, I hardly dast say. Al-Qaeda was fairly quiet. The Israeli government kept it local, as did the Palestinians. Could it be the Executive Branch of the U.S. government? They invaded Iraq and continue to occupy it by means of intimidation. The Iraqi insurgents aren't terrorists, despite their tactics- we did the same thing during the American Revolution. Our White House pulverized the United Nations. It pimp-slapped most of Western Europe. And this same small group of unelected zealots holds the entire American people in a thrall of fear using color-coded threats, speculation on the theme of disaster that would make the most committed paranoid zenophobe shake his head in disbelief, and for good measure the occasional whisking-away of some troublemaker or other."

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 03:29 PM
link   
....it happens to be a favorite of anyone who's been in the military. It is also so descriptive of Bush Administration actions, that I used it in over 20 posts!

"Total War All the Time"(T.W.A.T.) - can't be said better.

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 03:30 PM
link   
I'm still stuck on "metrosexual"

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Actually I think the word for 2003 due to its re-emergence and the fear it creates in those that hear it and the power it gives to those that utter it is:

anti-semite! and all its many variants (added feature).

posted on Jan, 8 2004 @ 06:16 AM
link   
anti-semite is a good one, and it's getting a bit peter-and-the-wolfy, if you catch my drift.

not that it IS NOT WRONG to blantantly offend those of the jewish faith and origin, but anti-semitism does not include speaking out against a government's actions, particularly the Israeli one. ohhh they loooove to use the anti-semetic counterargument. so cheap but effective, apparently.

that's more anti-zionism and that's fiiiiine by me. zionism is not judiasm and it never was nor will it ever be. judiasm is vastly superior to zionism.

is it just me or are more entertainment puppets and comedians teasing the jews a bit more than usual? im not jewish and even i find it mildly offensive to hear so much random bombardment.

oh yeah and my idea for word of 2003:
"unilateral"

[Edited on 1/8/2004 by AlnilamOmega]

[Edited on 1/8/2004 by AlnilamOmega]

posted on Jan, 8 2004 @ 06:24 AM
link   
"EVIL"

The classics never go out of style...though the definiton is often diluted.

Forces of Evil to Evil Empire to Axis of Evil to...???

Kittens of Evil?

posted on Jan, 8 2004 @ 06:29 AM
link   
we all know what the colonel's word of the year is.....which I find to be very well suiting to the right wingers

top topics

join