It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CIA Declassifies 10 million records!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2007 @ 02:20 AM
link   
Slowly but surely, some info is being cut loose. Probably nothing of any major importance, however, at least they are allowing new stuff to be seen. Perhaps a few more peices to the puzzle can be gathered, and then put into perspective.

Hard to tell until one digs in to the mess and sorts it out. Who knows, maybe they over looked or burried some choice selections. Alone much of it may not be clear, combine it with what is available, and the picture could become clearer.

I did a quick search on the site and found; "The OSS and Italian Partisans in World War II", not a bad topic for any history fans.

Records declassification is required by Executive Order 12958, which was signed by former President Bill Clinton.

CREST includes a wide variety of records on nearly every topic...
... STAR GATE remote viewing program files...
... Cold War and the early history of the CIA...

CIA Records Search Tool (CREST), which is an electronic search and retrieval system...drastically decreased the amount of time required to complete a search...
10 Million Pages of CIA Declassified Records Available

posted on Jun, 14 2007 @ 02:44 AM
link   
Definately some good news, however CREST is only viewable at the National Archives in College Park, MD. But you can see some items from the National Archives here.

posted on Jun, 14 2007 @ 02:46 AM
link   
I live about 30 mins or less from College park, MD, can I go there an take photos of them and put them up on here without having myself tailed and beaten at a l8er time?
lol

posted on Jun, 14 2007 @ 02:54 AM
link   
Tranceopticalinclined

Of course, they wouldn't put it out for the public if they didn't want any one to use it. It is a public service after all. Maybe not so well known of one, but still available though.

posted on Jun, 14 2007 @ 03:46 AM
link   
Gee I hope some new stuff comes out about the secrets of WW2.

I understand some secret files will remain classified until 2045.

posted on Jun, 15 2007 @ 10:38 AM
link   
sy.gunson

Or even longer, as the limitations are on average 25, 50 years or indefinately, if the intel is considered that much of a risk to National Security.

posted on Jun, 17 2007 @ 11:23 AM
link   
It really makes one wonder what type of event from WW2 would precipitate the necessity for files to have a "never to be declassified" status. The only thing that immediately comes to mind would be the movement of the Nazi hierarchy following the war especially if it involved well known personas such as Hitler etc.

posted on Jun, 23 2007 @ 07:14 AM
link   
UPDATE
More on the release and declassing of info by and from the CIA. Just a couple of links as tabs are being kept on this. I suggest reading the linked pages completely, even though I suppled selected quotes. Much of interestin found on the sourced sites.

The documents, to be publicly released next week, also include accounts of break-ins and theft, the agency's opening of private mail to and from China and the Soviet Union, wiretaps and surveillance of journalists, and a series of "unwitting" tests on U.S. civilians, including the use of drugs.
CIA to Air Decades of Its Dirty Laundry

The Agency officers who do that work wrestle constantly with the twin imperatives of essential openness and essential secrecy. They carry a huge responsibility. Simply put, they must decide when a secret is no longer a secret.

From the millions of pages of OSS documents released in the 1980s, to extensive documentation of America’s early imagery satellites, the Cuban missile crisis, the U-2 program, and large collections of National Estimates on the Soviet Union, China, Vietnam and Yugoslavia, CIA declassification has contributed greatly to the historical record. Just last year we added to that record with the declassification of volumes on the famous Berlin Tunnel operation and CIA’s role in the rural pacification program in South Vietnam.

General Hayden's Remarks at SHAFR Conference
Remarks of Central Intelligence Agency Director
Gen. Michael V. Hayden at the
Society for Historians of American Foreign Relations Conference
CIA Director Reviews Nasty History of CIA

posted on Jun, 23 2007 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Hey Advisor I`m not trying to tell you your job but there are two other threads already disscussing this already.Should they be stopped and moved into one.

posted on Jun, 23 2007 @ 10:35 AM
link   
How much of those "secrets" that they will reveal will already be known?

I was watching Hardball last night and Chris Matthews was asking his guests' questions like "Will we finally know whether the CIA overthrew freely elected governments in Iran, Chile, and Guatemala?" DUH! We already know that!

I mean let's be for real. He's asking whether we overthrew Arbenz in Guatemala or Allende in Chile when it's already well documented by every historian out there that the CIA had a hand in that.

The only thing the American people care about is the truth on the John F. Kennedy assassination. That's it. It's been 40 years and the majority of the people still have not come to terms with what really happened that tragic day...

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Nescafe8572

They could probably be combined, true. Was just running with what had been posted already, I don't get much time online, and instead of reading every thing just went to where I knew previous info was already.

We only get 30min of internet service per session over here in Iraq. Unless occasionally the lucky chance of no one waiting next in line occurs, not much more than half hr is available.

Hope that explains, any repeat threads on my behalf. I'm not sure which thread was posted first however, but general ruleof thumb is, the older thread has right of way.

I'll check into the time line, and see what is up. Thanks for pointing that out though, is appreciated.

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by ADVISOR

Hope that explains, any repeat threads on my behalf. I'm not sure which thread was posted first however, but general ruleof thumb is, the older thread has right of way.

I'll check into the time line, and see what is up. Thanks for pointing that out though, is appreciated.

No probs.

Sorry didn`t know you were in Iraq.

keep your head down and good luck.

top topics

join