It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Is It That It's Always The Quiet People Who Have The Most Important Things To Say?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2007 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ambient Sound
Yeesh! Where do the smart people hang out?

I believe the answer to that is, here. The internet in general also.

The internet is perfect for us because it allows us to communicate on a deep level, get everything out we want to say without interruption, and cuts out that awkward social element.

Before the internet, we had Dungeons & Dragons.

posted on Jun, 13 2007 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ambient Sound
Yeesh! Where do the smart people hang out?

Most of your more intelligent people don't really seem to "hang out" to me. The time that most spend "hanging out," intelligent people spend learning, at least that has been my experience.

posted on Jun, 13 2007 @ 05:58 PM
link   
As far as where they go to get their word out, I suspect that the internet is the most likely place.

[edit on 13-6-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Jun, 14 2007 @ 02:31 AM
link   
I'm not really sure that I agree with the premise of this thread. Although there are many intelligent people who are very quiet, I find that a lot of people judge too quickly on these types of things. Everyone would like to think that they're the quiet type who never says anything but secretly knows all, but what about people who are talkative, have things to say, but don't necessarily boast about it until coaxed into doing so? I guess I'm sort of one of those people. On the surface, I don't think many people exactly take me as a deep philosophical thinker. I do tend to talk a lot about other things, but I also love discussing religion, philosophy, politics, etc. I go to the gym all the time, no tattoos or died hair, and people don't think of me as the "brainy" type. I also know a few people who "Play the part" so to speak. Thin, dark clothing, tattoos, glasses, long hair, "Save Darfur" shirts, and they give off a major pretentious, "I'm deeper than you" vibe. In actuality, when I've heard them talk, they really don't know any more than me, and in a lot of cases I wind up on top. If they would actually engage me in conversation, they would understand that I, too, have a lot to say on these matters, but they don't because I don't "Play the part."

Sorry to go off on kind of a tangent...I've had sort of a bad experience with this.

posted on Jun, 14 2007 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Herman, then, at least in my experience, you are definitely in the minority. Now, I am not going to make the claim that I have never met anyone who was talkative that was extremely intelligent, but they have been few and far in between.

posted on Jun, 14 2007 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth
Herman, then, at least in my experience, you are definitely in the minority. Now, I am not going to make the claim that I have never met anyone who was talkative that was extremely intelligent, but they have been few and far in between.

But do you normally engage talkative people in conversations that might divulge some of their intelligence? Maybe you just talk to them about other things.

posted on Jun, 15 2007 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Herman

But do you normally engage talkative people in conversations that might divulge some of their intelligence? Maybe you just talk to them about other things.

Quite honestly, I never hear real talkative people talking about anything that is of any real interest to me. So, no, I don't engage many of them. I suppose that is my point.

It seems to me that "social butterflies" really don't have to be talking about anything at all to be talking, if that makes any sense. While, at least in my experience, a quiet person's mouth isn't moving unless something of pertinence is coming out of it.

[edit on 15-6-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Jun, 15 2007 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Oh, just for the sheer fun of playing devil's advocate (because I really agree, SoT) ...

Who's to say what's really important?

Maybe the social butterflies think that what they are talking about IS important.

Importance is in the eye of the beholder, perhaps?

Maybe we are just elitist intelligentsia?

posted on Jun, 15 2007 @ 01:56 PM
link   
I'm like you guys too.

an empty barrel rattles the most

posted on Jun, 15 2007 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by MajorMalfunction
Oh, just for the sheer fun of playing devil's advocate (because I really agree, SoT) ...

Who's to say what's really important?

Maybe the social butterflies think that what they are talking about IS important.

Importance is in the eye of the beholder, perhaps?

Maybe we are just elitist intelligentsia?

Well, Major, I mean that argument can be and it often is made by many. However, I have a hard time understanding what is important about what some celebrity is doing, or what new game or song is coming out. Those things seem to be major topics among people who seem to always talk.

posted on Jun, 15 2007 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth
Quite honestly, I never hear real talkative people talking about anything that is of any real interest to me. So, no, I don't engage many of them. I suppose that is my point.

It seems to me that "social butterflies" really don't have to be talking about anything at all to be talking, if that makes any sense. While, at least in my experience, a quiet person's mouth isn't moving unless something of pertinence is coming out of it.

Well if you're not engaging them, and they're not engaging you, who is to know? A talkative person could say the same for you. You never have intelligent conversations with talkative people because you won't engage them in that kind of conversation, so you think they have nothing important to say. Maybe they think that since you never talk at all, you don't have anything important to say. How do they know since they've never heard you talk about anything important, or at all for that matter?

I'm not saying I'm some social butterfly that's jumping in to save the day for all of the other social butterflies - God knows I'm not. But I am pretty talkative around friends and co-workers, and I also enjoy deep, thought provoking conversation.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join