It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google Complains About Microsoft's Vista

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2007 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Breitbart Article

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - Internet search leader Google Inc. is trying to convince federal and state authorities that Microsoft Corp.'s Vista operating system is stifling competition as the high-tech heavyweights wrestle for the allegiance of personal computer users.

In a 49-page document filed April 18 with the U.S. Justice Department and state attorneys general, Google alleged that the latest version of Microsoft's Windows operating system impairs the performance of "desktop search" programs that find data stored on a computer's hard drive.

The Vista operating system, which became widely available in January, includes a desktop search function that competes with a free program Google introduced in 2004. Several other companies also offer desktop search applications.

Besides bogging down competing programs, Google alleged Microsoft had made it too complicated to turn off the desktop search feature built into Vista.

What's funny is I searched, "turn off vista desktop search," through Live Search, nothing came up on the first page. Yet on google, the first result is an article on how to turn it off.

Live Search Result

Google Search Result

Yahoo Search Result

I love this war Microsoft is constantly battling. They get as close to the monopoly line as they can get without stepping over.

posted on Jun, 12 2007 @ 10:16 AM
link   
I bought a brand new dell e1705 and the stupid thing came with both Google desktop and Vista search installed and functioning. they both got shut off immediately. desktop searches and indexing are terrible performance hits... its kind of funny how they're fighting over who gets to drain your RAM.
as far as im concerned neither of them deserve my business.. vista is going bye bye and ill be loading Ubuntu with beryl addons.

posted on Jun, 12 2007 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Yeah, I hear ya. I recently bought a hp dv9010us, used what they have on there for about a day, then wiped it and put a fresh copy of xp pro. Why they put so much crap on new computers is rediculous.

posted on Jun, 12 2007 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Google's not the only one complaining about Vista.

Originally posted by Quasar
... then wiped it and put a fresh copy of xp pro.

It's funny that you mention that. I've had several customers bring their new Vista destops/laptops in asking that they be reinstalled with XP Home or Pro. Odd, that? Not in my opinion. As I told virtually all of them, "I'll switched when I'm dragged kicking and screaming. XP Pro does eveything I need it to, and it seems to run faster than Vista as well.

On a side note:
The most asked question is "Why does it keep asking me if I really want to do this? [whatever this might be] Just do it already." :shk:

[edit: speeling]

[edit on 12-6-2007 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Jun, 12 2007 @ 06:11 PM
link   
UAC was so annoying. When i was beta testing it was about 10000x worse, but they fixed it up for release. Vista has a long way to go... too bad they're working on blackcomb and have already forgotten about vista, maybe they should stick with a project for more than a year or two. im glad dell started to offer linux laptops like a week after i purchased my current one. ack!

top topics

join