It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sunspot 960 has potential X-class flares!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2007 @ 12:03 PM
link   
I have been checking the spaceweather.com site because of my companies GPS use that maybe impacted by solar activity. It looks like Sunspot 960 that is turning towards the earth has a 60% chance for M-class flares and 15% chance for X-class!

You can keep uptodate by going to spaceweather site below, it changes daily.

Space Weather Site

The next Solar Max that we will be approaching in 2010-11 will be as most severe since 1958. I wonder what the effects will be on our satelite system?

Back in 1958, I think we only had suptnik!

Solar Storm Warning from NASA!

posted on Jun, 4 2007 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Chances for M and X class flares increases!

70% for M flares and 20% for X flares

M9 Class Flare hit today at about 0500 UMT, I live in eastern US and noticed some outage on my XM radio briefly right before 10 am!

My car GPS was ok, except in the morning.

Flare Classes

posted on Jun, 4 2007 @ 05:52 PM
link   
I am a survialist or a bushcraft expert.
I never use a GPS.
I do use the sun, moon, planets, stars and some magnitite in my head....
but never would I need a GPS

posted on Jun, 4 2007 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Sunspots?... Bah, the Sun can't do a thing to Earth, it is all that damn anthropogenic CO2...

I am telling you Anthropogenic CO2 can cure cancers, it can move mountains, destroy and create the Universe, and it is the strongest force that the Solar System, and the Universe in general can come up with that will destroy the Earth and all life as we know it if it increases just a little bit more....

Sunspots...bah...all we need is anthropogenic CO2 to power the entire Earth and warm us up...

The Sun wishes it had the power of anthropogenic CO2...

[edit on 4-6-2007 by Muaddib]

posted on Jun, 4 2007 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Guys, "Drugs are bad!"

But seriously, the Sun is changing and you can believe what you want, but in the end the reality will shine through!

I don't know what CO crap is, I try to stick to the facts and not the unproven theories!

[edit on 6/4/07 by mel1962]

posted on Jun, 4 2007 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Mel i was being sarcastic...

Anthropogenic CO2 is what some people are blaming is the cause for the current warming cycle the Earth is going through. Even if the geological record shows that the Sun and other natural factors influence the climate on Earth more than CO2, or anthropogenic CO2 ever could.

[edit on 4-6-2007 by Muaddib]

posted on Jun, 5 2007 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Sunspot 960 is changing into a double spot!

NOAA predicts a 20% chances of an X-flare.
A real active period seems to come.

Source: Spaceweather

posted on Jun, 5 2007 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Yes Ptolomeo, but expect some to blame anthropogenic CO2 on the warming that will be caused by these Solar active periods.

It is a shame that some want to be blinded to the truth that it's the natural factors which are the obvious reason for the present warming.

I am sure it will become a lot warmer, since this next cycle is supposed to be 30-50% stronger than at least the last one.

[edit on 5-6-2007 by Muaddib]

posted on Jun, 5 2007 @ 06:36 PM
link   
I have had that Space Weather site on my favorites list for a long time now. I always try to find out when the Northern Lights are going to be .. and I keep a look out for them. So far, they have eluded me though.

I'm going to keep trying.

posted on Jun, 5 2007 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Mel1962 being a dumbie on the subject, how long does a flare take to reach earth and how long generally do the effects last ?

Another question, how can you predict in advance how bad the flares of 2010/11 be ?

posted on Jun, 6 2007 @ 12:49 AM
link   
The solar flips its magnetic field every 11 years or so, and thats when the magnetic field activity and thus sunspots are at its peak in general. Also it seems the time of the next magnetic field flip seems to happen at the same time when we apparently arrive at middle area of the galactic disc which in theory might increase the magnetic activity. There is also theories and data that suggest that the earth magnetic field might flip at the same time which might be pretty bad timing if it did that as that is when the protection of out magnetic field would be at its lowest.

Originally it was thought that astronauts would have two hours time to get into shelter, but based on the January 20 event, they may have as little as 15 minutes to do so.

en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 6/6/07 by Gonjo]

[edit on 6/6/07 by Gonjo]

posted on Jun, 6 2007 @ 09:40 PM
link   
I don't know, I figure 24 to 48 hours, its pretty darn quick!

Looks like we are down to 40% M class and 10% X class flares!

Once I lose my GPS I will be lost and unable to navigate in today's society, solar flares, chinese missles, space debris oh my!

But seriously, I believe me this is a serious discussion.

new topics

top topics

join