It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

National ID: Biometrics to be added to Social Security Cards

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2007 @ 03:12 PM
link   

National ID: Biometrics to be added to Social Security Cards

www.wired.com

The Social Security card faces its first major upgrade in 70 years under two immigration-reform proposals slated for debate this week that would add biometric information to the card and finally complete its slow metamorphosis into a national ID.

The leading immigration proposal with traction in Congress would force employers to accept only a very limited range of approved documents as proof of work eligibility, including a driver's license that meets new federal Real ID standards, a high-tech temporary work visa or a U.S. passport with an RFID chip. A fourth option is the notional tamper-proof biometric Social Security card, which would replace the text-only design that's been issued to Americans almost without change for more than 70 years.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 15 2007 @ 03:12 PM
link   
The article goes on to say that most of the leading proposals involve a government database in some way, and may include requiring employers to check prospective employees by "scanning" their RealID with a special scanner and laptop - or by going to a post office to do so if they don't have that equipment..

This is something that's very much on our doorstep.. legislation could be pending very soon, given that debate is being scheduled within two weeks for immigration reform questions - which include the National ID concept..

Do we really all want our biometric data in a government database?

www.wired.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 15 2007 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Two sides to every coin as always. And I'm not here to defend a national ID card.

But, back when I was a LEO, I arrested more than one illegal alien with more than ten social security cards in different names in their wallet. Had one fellow with more than 20 social security checks in different names.

Social Security fraud is the number one crime committed by illegal aliens, in my opinion. Of course I can't prove it, since all investigation into such matters are "classified."

It would be a simple way of ending employers hiring illegals, if there was a photo ID or something.

Basically, when I was working ( a decade ago!) The SocSec administration was a party to the fraud. They didn't care what name you paid money in as, if you were illegal. They also got more power and federal money for their programs based on how much they paid out.

And we were not allowed to confiscate the multiple cards and checks. SocSec said they didn't persue cases that didn't originate from their agents (!), and that I couldn't "prove" that those were illegal cards for that person. (I was asking THEM to do it). They insisted that the person be released, and given his "property" back (stolen/fake SS cards, checks).

A photocard could end illegal immigration, if TPTB wanted to do it . . .

all the best.

posted on May, 15 2007 @ 03:48 PM
link   
We are in fact headed for a National Identification System. My only worry is the potential for abuses. "Privacy" as we have known it will soon be dead. As much as I don't like that, I do know I can't stop it.

new topics

top topics

join