It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oklahoma Governor Signs Illegal Immigration Bill

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2007 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Oklahoma Governor Signs Illegal Reform Bill

newsok.com

Although saying illegal immigration must be addressed by the federal government, Gov. Brad Henry signed an immigration reform bill Tuesday that won overwhelming approval in both state legislative chambers.

"While some will undoubtedly claim this state legislation is a landmark step forward, the truth of the matter is we will not effectively address immigration reform until the federal government acts,” Henry said in a statement.

Henry, who issued a three-paragraph statement after signing the bill less than seven hours before the midnight deadline, had said during his re-election campaign last year immigration was a federal matter.

Opponents pledged to take their case against the law to court.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 5/9/2007 by TheAvenger]

posted on May, 9 2007 @ 09:59 AM
link   
It's time someone took the lead in the illegal immigration
problem. U.S. Presidents and other national politicians of both major parties have done absolutely nothing to resolve this issue.

This bi-partisan effort at least tries to stop the draining of Oklahoma state taxpayer funds supporting illegal aliens, and punishes those employers who knowingly hire undocumented workers.

It is a shame when the states must step forward to do what the federal government should do.

newsok.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 5/9/2007 by TheAvenger]

posted on May, 9 2007 @ 10:14 AM
link   

The bill, which takes effect Nov. 1, would set criminal penalties for knowingly and willingly harboring illegal immigrants. No public benefits would be allowed to people in the state illegally, except in cases of medical emergencies or emergency aid. Businesses would need to run all workers through a federal verification system or risk penalties and legal action.

The legislation also would cut off in-state tuition for illegal immigrant students unless they can verify they have applied for citizenship or plan to within one year. Some say that could cut off most illegal students from in-state tuition because once a student enters the country illegally, it is almost impossible to become a legal citizen.

This is reasonable. It's not going to leave people out in the cold, but will enforce the law. I think it's a good first step

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by TheAvenger

HeHe, the new law is working too. I know of several south of the border folks that have moved out of Oklahoma. Some are heading to Colorado. I don't know what their local laws there will permit. At least one Mexican resturant in Tulsa has shut down due to no longer having any "affordable" staff.

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 06:12 PM
link   
I think the old saying, "If you want something done right, you have to do it yourself" fits in here perfectly.

States don't have to wait on the Feds to get this figured out. This single step in the right direction should be copied across the country.

No tax payer should help anyone who is here illegally unless they give them the money themselves. This is my assessment since it will make any foreigner think twice about coming over illegally after more laws like this are made. The harder we make it the better our lives will be. Let the countries of origin help out their people.

The story of the business closing down makes me wonder about the amount of owners that are hiring illegals to do work. Will we see more people and businesses moving out of Oklahoma because of this? I think so and it will only help keep this country on the right track. I have no sympathy for criminals.

Finally someone got this figured out and is doing something about it. Bravo Oklahoma!!!

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 06:19 PM
link   
*applause* FINALLY some people are starting to get the ball rolling. Now all we have to do is the same thing in another 49 states and I think we will start seeing some progress.

"If the fish wont leave the lake, drain all the water"

apc

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Aw crap. This is like when you set off a bug bomb in an apartment and all the roaches stampede into the neighbors.

At least this should dampen the flow after the surge. I'm guessing the majority of our new arrivals here in Missouri come up through Oklahoma to avoid the mountains.

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 06:45 PM
link   
I can tell you this, Seaboard Farms had to do a lot of new hiring. Seaboard is a very large pork producer and meat packer, located in Guymon.

Roper

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 10:59 PM
link   
A local farmer is closing down his family's farm of 30 years. He can't find the help he needs at harvest time now. He admits that everyone that worked on his farm had their papers. Just that he didn't know how many had fake papers to work in the US.

new topics

top topics

join