It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cloaking Technology Breakthrough!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2007 @ 04:33 AM
link   
Star Trek? Harry Potter? Fiction like this might soon be mirrored by fact. A research team at the Nanotechnology Centre of Purdue Univ, USA, has created a design that could render people or objects invisible by placing an optical ‘cloak’ around them.

The Purdue University engineers, following mathematical guidelines devised in 2006 by physicists in the United Kingdom, have created a theoretical design that uses an array of tiny needles radiating outward from a central spoke. The design, which resembles a round hairbrush, would bend light around the object being cloaked. Background objects would be visible but not the object surrounded by the cylindrical array of nano-needles, said Vladimir Shalaev, Purdue's Robert and Anne Burnett Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering.

Presently, the design would work only for one frequency, but it still might have applications, such as producing a cloaking system to make soldiers invisible to night-vision goggles.

But one result will be of special interest: A wavelength of 632.8 nm will make an object invisible, say the Purdue researchers. That corresponds to the color red. Instead of waiting five years for broad spectrum cloaking, you may soon be able to put on a red cloak – and vanish!

Cheers!

www.purdue.edu...

posted on Apr, 29 2007 @ 05:11 AM
link   
Hi Mikesingh/
I think that there are a few threads based on the Cloaking Technology....
Here are a few...
ATS Search

helen

[Mod edit to fix link]

[edit on 29/4/2007 by Umbrax]

posted on Apr, 29 2007 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Hi Helen! Thanx. This one is the latest from Purdue Univ where the design and concept for cloaking objects is different from the others. Seems this one will be the first out of the block!

Cheers!

posted on Apr, 29 2007 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Great topic! Check out the latest issue of Scientific American, as there is a very interesting article about plasmonics that mentions "invisibility" technology and other uses of plasmonics in the near future.

x08

posted on May, 4 2007 @ 03:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by mikesingh
Seems this one will be the first out of the block!

I doubt it.. it's cylindrical right.. which means it's a cylinder. Would be ok for deployable turrets etc. but I don't think a cylindrical shape would do alot for aircraft, soldiers or the like~

posted on May, 4 2007 @ 05:28 AM
link   
I'll believe it when I see

Or don't see it as the case may be

Is there any video's around showing off this technology?

posted on May, 4 2007 @ 05:53 AM
link   
the Mexicans have video of IR Cloaked ships
NASA has video of IR Cloaked ships.

quantum phase ships....cool stuff.

posted on May, 6 2007 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Mathematicians Design Invisible Tunnel
Electromagnetic "wormhole" results from turning invisible sphere inside out

www.sciam.com...

New calculations show how to make an electromagnetic "wormhole"—a tube that is invisible from the sides but allows light to shine down the center.
The concept is a twist on a spherical cloak of invisibility proposed last year. Such a device would be made of metamaterial, a thicket of metal rings or other shapes that bends light in funny ways. A hollow shell of metamaterial could in principle channel light around its inner space without slowing the light down, rendering that hidey-hole invisible to the outside world.

posted on May, 6 2007 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Mike I have been looking into cloaking and researchers at Rice University are finding the use of plasmonics very interesting and have developed structures called nanoshells that could possibly be used for medical procedures to lighting. Researchers have theorized that by using plasmonic materials that this could actually bend electromagnetic radiation around an object and could make it invisible such as spacecraft or structure on the Moon.

For example if I were looking thru a telescope at where I thought a spacecraft would be in space using this type of technology I would only be able to see stars or the galaxy behind the object. Scientists have a ways to go to perfect the invisibility of objects but are getting closer and know the device to do so must work with all visible light spectrum frequencies to be effective. This is all to do with short and long wavelengths of light.

I knew when I discovered Lumeria in the Southwestern part of the U.S. that these statues and monuments were being cloaked by nano technology with the use of crystals. How did I know? It did not take a scientist to figure it out because when a hiker would stand next to a statue or actually touch it they did not see it at all or were not aware of it's existence. Rik Riley

top topics

join