It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you think life will be found on another planet in your life time? (CNN.com poll)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Go to www.cnn.com...

scroll down a bit and look on the right hand side. You'll see the poll. Interesting that so far over 60% say NO.

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 09:48 AM
link   
im expecting live to be dectected on europa but well that isnt a other planet.

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 01:31 PM
link   
mars could still harbour simple life. maybe a bit deeper down.

europa looks good but getting through 10km of ice poses a problem.

Darwin telescope slated for 2015 launch will detect the atmospheres of planets around other stars. Maybe even find an atmosphere identical to earth.(water.oxygen,ozone).Theyre also working on being able to identify "bio markers" which are things in the atmosphere that only biological life could produce. That could clinch it for us by the year 2020. I hope

[edit on 25-4-2007 by yeti101]

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 01:56 PM
link   
The gap in this CNN poll keeps growing larger. The gap started out at around 2,000 in favor of NO. now it's at 17,000. There must be some wacko groups all voting at the same time or something, because all of the other CNN polls asking about intelligent life else where in the universe all are in favor by a large margin.

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by classified material
The gap in this CNN poll keeps growing larger. The gap started out at around 2,000 in favor of NO. now it's at 17,000. There must be some wacko groups all voting at the same time or something, because all of the other CNN polls asking about intelligent life else where in the universe all are in favor by a large margin.

Those "wacko" groups would be the Protestants in the States. Most Baptist and Charismatic churches teach aliens are demons.

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by MikeboydUS

Those "wacko" groups would be the Protestants in the States. Most Baptist and Charismatic churches teach aliens are demons.

Interesting way of making friends, oh yeah... When we are finding another
kind of species on our own planet, it's normal. Find it outside our world,
its dangerously devilish! Oh, watch out, UFO's are hovering above us, filled
with demons! Good gravy!

I'm sorry, but i just cant think about how pathetic some religious groups are without laughing.

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 03:46 PM
link   
I am not some "whacko Christian" but I'll be honest, I doubt that we find intelligent life in our life times. And if we do, it won't be revealed to us. I am not so certain we haven't found extraterrestrial life and it has been covered up. I have no trust in NASA in regards to this at all.

[edit on 25-4-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 03:47 PM
link   

There must be some wacko groups all voting at the same time or something, because all of the other CNN polls asking about intelligent life else where in the universe all are in favor by a large margin.

Well, yeah but there's a huge difference between "Is there intelligent life elsewhere in the universe?" And "Will life be found on another planet in your lifetime?"

I'd lean toward a solid "probably" on the first question and a definite "no" on the second.

And I'm prepared to be wrong.

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 04:30 PM
link   
dude dont be so pessemistic

as well as the nasa/esa telescopes to hunt for earths, we have SETI ATA telescope wich will have searched a million stars by 2020.

soon it may be possible to pick up very weak radio signals leaked by military radar/ tv signals on other planets www.sciencedaily.com...

im sure we will find life or signs of life on other planets soon.

apc

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 05:30 PM
link   
I think the majority of the responders are just really really old.

Personally, I think there's a pretty good chance we've already found it.

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by apc

Personally, I think there's a pretty good chance we've already found it.

That indeed may very well be the case. However, if the powers that be don't share their information, we are none the smarter. That is the whole point.

apc

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Well... I don't think there's any vast conspiracy or anything. What I refer to is the Viking data and possibly the little worm-like things on the Mars rocks.

But hey who knows... maybe we really are party to some interdimensional conflict between the Reptoids and the Grays.

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 08:30 PM
link   
APC, well if you're talking about micro biotic level, then,yes, we are indeed on to different levels when we are talking about discovering life on other planets.

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth
I am not some "whacko Christian" but I'll be honest, I doubt that we find intelligent life in our life times. And if we do, it won't be revealed to us. I am not so certain we haven't found extraterrestrial life and it has been covered up. I have no trust in NASA in regards to this at all.

[edit on 25-4-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

Here we go again with the intellegent thing. For all we know, we are going to find some intellegent viruse that is going to kill us all in a matter of weeks.

Styki

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 10:51 PM
link   
I think that the current state of exploration has people pessimistic.
We go to Mars... nothing.
SETI picks up nothing.
UFOs remain elusive and unproven and often outright hoaxes or the imaginings of nutters.
Even those meteors a few years back containing possible Martian Life turned out to be probably misunderstood.

It's like every angle for finding alien life has hit a dead end.

And I can't help feeling it will be the same with Europa. There'll be a probe into the ice one day, with great hopes. And they'll find nothing.

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Nice generalization, there.

Also one that, at least in my experience, isn't very accurate. Let me lay out my credentials to speak to this before I continue, if I might. I'm 44 years old, born and raised a Southern Baptist. I've been very active in all phases of church operations, and I've been a Messenger to the annual Southern Baptist Convention twice. I've also been an ordained minister since 1985.

Don't take that as bragging...I simply listed those little tidbits to show that I have some idea of Baptist beliefs. (Not a total knowledge, mind you. Baptist congregations have what's called "Local Autonomy", meaning that, within certain VERY broad guidelines, they do as they please). The vast majority of the Baptists that I know are at least open to the idea of life 'somewhere out there' that doesn't involve angelic or demonic forces. In fact, a surprising number of the older members of my last congregation were avid fans of science fiction, and at least two had tried their hand at writing for publication.

Obviously, every Baptist I've met in my life might be an anomoly, or perhaps Missouri and Arizona just have a more open-minded Baptist population...or it could be that we ain't a bunch of Luddite hilllbillies, y'all.

Nah...coudn't be that. I would post more, but I have a few more books to burn before I head out for my night shift.

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 12:04 AM
link   
As someone who was raised Southern Baptist, that's been my experience as well, Brother Stormhammer. Most Christians tend to be far more open-minded than they're given credit for. The town I live in is fairly conservative and religious (with Southern Baptist being predominant), yet if you were to ask around, I'm quite certain that you'd find that 75% or more believe that any alien life would be just that, alien life.

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 12:21 AM
link   
You mean they believe in intelligent life North of the Mason-Dixon line?

All seriousness aside, that might be an interesting follow-up poll, or study, if we could get some organization to run it. Does religious belief have any connection (positive or negative) with belief in alien life? Would be even more interesting to break that data down another step and see how specific religions / denominations were influenced. Any takers to give this a shot?

And I guess, since I'm shooting my mouth off in a thread about the possibility of alien life, I gues I should go on record with my own opinion.

As much as it might surprise some folks here (given that I've been called a 'debunker' and a 'nay-sayer'), I actually do think that there's life Out There. I don't know if it's visiting us, or living among us, or breeding with us...but I think it's probably there, somewhere.

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 02:20 AM
link   
Those polls never ask the right questions.

Anyways, Yes I believe there is life out there. However, will we find and admit it in MY LIFETIME, NO.

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 06:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Brother Stormhammer

Nice generalization, there.

Also one that, at least in my experience, isn't very accurate. Let me lay out my credentials to speak to this before I continue, if I might. I'm 44 years old, born and raised a Southern Baptist. I've been very active in all phases of church operations, and I've been a Messenger to the annual Southern Baptist Convention twice. I've also been an ordained minister since 1985.

Don't take that as bragging...I simply listed those little tidbits to show that I have some idea of Baptist beliefs. (Not a total knowledge, mind you. Baptist congregations have what's called "Local Autonomy", meaning that, within certain VERY broad guidelines, they do as they please). The vast majority of the Baptists that I know are at least open to the idea of life 'somewhere out there' that doesn't involve angelic or demonic forces. In fact, a surprising number of the older members of my last congregation were avid fans of science fiction, and at least two had tried their hand at writing for publication.

Obviously, every Baptist I've met in my life might be an anomoly, or perhaps Missouri and Arizona just have a more open-minded Baptist population...or it could be that we ain't a bunch of Luddite hilllbillies, y'all.

Nah...coudn't be that. I would post more, but I have a few more books to burn before I head out for my night shift.

I would agree with that Baptists from Missouri and Arizona are more open minded then the ones I have talked to who are from Louisiana. The kind of Chruches Im refering to are the kind that pay attention to people like Pat Robertson and Jerry Falwell. Im not familiar enough with John Hagee's view on UFOs but considering his other views I wouldnt be surprised if he thought they were demons. The primary pushers of the aliens are demons are the Charismatics, who run TBN, and are most of your Televangelists who are associated with Assemblies of G-d churches and Pentecostals.

[edit on 26/4/07 by MikeboydUS]

[edit on 26/4/07 by MikeboydUS]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join