It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NBC series "Heroes" using 9/11 as an idea for sub-plot?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 09:27 AM
link   
This got my attention immediately while watching the latest episode of Heroes on NBC. I think they used 9/11 as inspiration of a sub-plot of a very powerful charachter who plays the role of a civilian pulling strings in the federal goverment.

A little back story here. In the last episode Nathan Petrellie confronted Mr. Linderman because of all these crazy things that had be going on seemed to be connected to him. Nathan pulls a gun on him while he merely cooks some food without fear. Linderman procedes to tell Nathan that if he does as Linderman says, he will become President in the future. The scene below is a continuation of that in the following episode.

I couldn't help but think while i listened to the last episode that a part of the episode sounded all to familiar with 9/11 conspiracy theories. Now, this isn't so much to discuss those theories, but rather wether or not you guys think that maybe the writers for the show were trying to somehow get that into this episode intentionally. I mean, is a catasrophic event in NYC used to motivate people towards a common goal. Nathan would be playing the part of President Bush and Linderman would be "the powers at be." I'd love to hear what you think.

[Linderman] . . . These artist's invisioned a brighter future. Peace, prosparity.

[Nathan Petrelli] That's your idea of a brighter future? (points at picture of nuke blowing up NYC)

[Linderman] What if i was to tell you that it was?

[NP] Then I'd say you were a lousy humanitarian.

[L] I was a lot younger than you when i discoverd my power. And there were other too, like me, who discoverd their's. We were all confused, and we found eachother. And together, we tried to make a differance to the world. And for a while we did. It was beautiful. And then some of my friends, they lost their way. They used there powers for personal gain. And all the good that we'd done was. . . . well it amounted to nothing. And i learned that healing one people a time was just not enough. We needed something, something to pull it down on course, something big.

[N] And that's what you think this is?

[L] People need hope, Nathan.

[NP] An explosion of that magnitude would destroy half the population of New York City [snaps] like that.

[L] There's 6.5 billion people on the planet. That's less than .07%, come on, that's an acceptable loss by anyones count. - side note, this is where they get the title for the episode, ".07%"

[NP] By anybodys count?

[L] Look, i said people needed hope, but they trust fear.

[NP] This is crazy.

[L] This tradgedy will be a catlyst for good. For change. Out of the ashes humaniy will find a common goal, a united sense of hope couched in a united sense fear. And it is your destiny, Nathan, to be the leader who uses this event to rally a city, a nation, a world. Now you look deep into your heart and you know i'm right.

[NP] Look, i don't mean to toss a wet blanket, but if you haven't noticed, i'm down in the poles. I'm not going to get elected to congress, let alone the white house.

[L] Do you think i'd leave that to chance?

[NP] If you know all this, then you also know that the exploding man is my brother, Peter.

[L] As i've said, we all have our roll to play. Peter's curtian call will come the day after you're elected.

[NP] You're insane, you know that?

As a side note, later on Nathan learns that Peter, his brother nuclear explosin potential, is basicaly immortal. Nathan muses aloud with him that even if he did blow up, he'd survive it. Interesting to see that after Nathan clearly decides that the plan is insane, he is still entertaining because of the lure of the presidency.

This shouldn't break any rules since you can watch the episodes at NBC.com. For those interested in watching it, go hereand click on episode 19 titled ".07%" and then click on part two underneath the embed media player.

[edit on 25-4-2007 by ebayitup]

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 04:02 PM
link   
I agree, my husband and I discussed this same theory during the show, we also believe some NWO is mixed in for good effect.

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Wow, from what i read of your description of the episode...

This show is extremely cliche.

No offense to anyone.

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by selfless
Wow, from what i read of your description of the episode...

This show is extremely cliche.

No offense to anyone.

well, it is a show on NBC, no offense taken, but i was asking about the 9/11 subplot, not if you thought it was cliche. maybe i should update the original thread.

top topics

join