It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Materialism is a religion....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2007 @ 10:39 AM
link   
It always amuses me how every-one has their agenda to push or axe to grind....so to speak....
On both sides of the fence and how we staunchly defend our favorite mental concepts upon which often hangs our entire world view........ which often can not even be proven or even logically supported with our own logic constructs...
Let alone those of a detatched observer.........

Religious devoutees of all persuasions (sorry about the spelling, i can't be bothered) as well as materialist suffer from this same issue in apparently equal measure:
Whilst the religious man will say that faith is required that god exists and the mystic would also agree that conciousness itself flows like a fountain from the god head.

Where as the man of science will assume that it is logical that conciousness is a product of matter.
And every observation of brain chemistry or brain electrical activity ETC that may correspond to certain emotions, thoughts or mental states ETC is sited as being SOMEHOW INDICATIVE OF THE MACHINATIONS OF CONCIOUSNESS.

Where as these same co-incidences could equally well be attributed as products rather than pre-cursors of couciousness........

And for the average joe both sides have the same level of baseless belief.........

posted on Apr, 20 2007 @ 11:16 AM
link   
you are quite right...

materialism is the worship of mammon himself....

but most have yet to realize that.

thankyou for your post.

posted on Apr, 22 2007 @ 03:38 AM
link   
i still believe that religion was simply an idea made a long time ago to give a populace that had no guidance a false sense of morality. little did whoever created it know, as with everything, we took the ideas too far. now they're (meaning religions) used to make governments money and keep people stupid and narrow-minded. high-five to the human race.

posted on Apr, 22 2007 @ 03:42 AM
link   
o, and as far as science goes, until we definitively know where we came from etc., everything is just speculation to be revised and re-stated. so they (meaning scientists) suck too. almost as much as the men "of god".

posted on Apr, 22 2007 @ 03:22 PM
link   
I would think of materialism more as the "anti-religion" than a religion unto itself. Or at least the main protagonist of all religions.

posted on Apr, 22 2007 @ 10:42 PM
link   

I would think of materialism more as the "anti-religion" than a religion unto itself

That would be a matter of perspective......
And i guess it could be argued (not with-out some merrit) that they are polar opposites in so far as science deals with physical plane phenomena and religion basically with meta-physical dimensions.....

(But this devide (i.E between physics and meta-physics) is composed simply of ignorance and so the devide is merely an illusion that illustrates.... not so much an inherent division so much as a chasm in our understanding of reality and the conciousness we posess and the energies that underpin this conciousness in the universe at large.)

But i would argue that science is not inherently opposed to religion.... although many with-in the establishment's ranks are of this disposition.
Probably because in the early days of modern science..... science was the bastion of the thinking men who saught to wrestle the world from dogmatic beliefs and herald a new era devorced from consepts which they considered to be deliberately seeking to obscure or deny the emerging truths relating to newly observed facts relating to the science of nature ETC.....
And this was a tide that the creationists could not hold back......
So the pendulum swings back and fourth.

And in a nut shell the scientists facts are not detremental to the ideas of the mystic.... But the theories they invent to support these facts often are....
And every body knows that these theories change with each new decade or century.....

And to tell you the truth i believe science will ultimately legitimise religion....
Because it is even beyond the scientist to deny the truth forever.....
Even if it must be realized in a form that looks suspicously similar to some religious doctrine........

posted on Apr, 24 2007 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Yams can get you past times of no religion better than religion can get you past times of no yams.

new topics

top topics

join