It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran new destroyer

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 02:26 AM
link   
Iran navy has got a new class destroyer? I read this information in newspapaer yesterday, but only like a headline no more details, who r willing to contribute more here?

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 02:42 AM
link   
Awesome, the more targets the better. To bad the Iowa isnt still in commission, we could use it for target practice lol..

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 02:46 AM
link   
hahahhaah if Iran is even thinking about questioning our naval authority they will need a lot more than a destroyer. That thing will be below sea level the second we want it to be.

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 11:54 AM
link   
While that may be true, this thread is about information on the craft, so we should stay on topic.

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by emile
Iran navy has got a new class destroyer? I read this information in newspapaer yesterday, but only like a headline no more details, who r willing to contribute more here?

you got more info on the ship and its specs?
did they build it or is it an export from russia/china?

Kr0n0s and collielikethedog is it really nessosery to come into topics
and act like less than fine and upstanding ATS members? sure the US navy is powerfull but it doesnt make it invinsible

[edit on 19-4-2007 by bodrul]

Mod Edit: Terms & Conditions Of Use – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 19/4/2007 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Would it be possible to launch a sunburn missile from a destroyer? I'm just thinking they would use it just for that purpose...if its a destroyer they may be thinking it would put up at least some sort of defence long enough to getseveral launched if it is even possible.It would in deed be a foolish atempt but we are dealing with a leader that is by all accounts "2 taco's short of a full combo".

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlackWidow23
While that may be true, this thread is about information on the craft, so we should stay on topic.

Good on you mate..

btw my sources say we can expect a good thread on the Iranian navy sometime soon..

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 01:11 PM
link   
It's a Corvette/Destroyer sized ship that's supposed to be capable of a top speed of 41 knots. It carries primarily missiles, supposedly mostly Iranian built/designed. Other than that there's not much information about it yet. It's supposedly one of the most advanced warships ever built, but we'll have to see when they release information about it. Not saying Iran isn't capable of doing that, just that other countries have a much bigger head start on working with some of the new technologies out there.

[edit on 4/19/2007 by Zaphod58]

posted on Apr, 20 2007 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Not a corvette, A destroyer, must be over 3000tons

posted on Apr, 20 2007 @ 12:13 AM
link   
I'm going by what sources are saying about it. They're calling it a Destroyer, but saying it's probably closer to a Corvette. They're older sources, but there's still not much out there.

posted on Apr, 20 2007 @ 12:14 AM
link   
Emile, Nowadays the definition between a corvette-destroyer is very loose. In europe everything is called a corvette to be politically correct. While Iran tries to desperately to make it's ships look bigger.

posted on Apr, 20 2007 @ 12:21 AM
link   

and act like less than fine and upstanding ATS members? sure the US navy is powerfull but it doesnt make it invinsible

How about YOU mind your own business, you sound like a kid who was given monitor duties by the teacher.

Is there a name or an image of this new ship they claim they have?

[edit on 20-4-2007 by Kr0n0s]

posted on Apr, 20 2007 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Not yet. They're preparing to launch it from what I've found, but no details have been released yet.

posted on Apr, 20 2007 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Kr0n0s
Biased patriotic opinions and bashing of other countries is just not what the rest of us thinks as constructive conversation. So if you wan't to keep on shouting GO USA, without adding anything to the conversation please do it in some other place.

As for the name and pictures; neither has been released so far.

posted on Apr, 20 2007 @ 12:34 AM
link   
(...).. my god it was a joke, you have a serious attitude problem, i suggest you get the chip off of your shoulder and mind your own business as well.
I did not bash anyone or any country, i made a joke about a decommissioned US ship using an Iranian ship as target practice..
what nation did I bash?

[edit on 20-4-2007 by Kr0n0s]

``````````````````
Mod edit - deleted uncivil phrase

[edit on 20/4/07 by masqua]

posted on Apr, 20 2007 @ 12:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by northwolf
Emile, Nowadays the definition between a corvette-destroyer is very loose. In europe everything is called a corvette to be politically correct. While Iran tries to desperately to make it's ships look bigger.

I thought the ambiguity was between frigates and destroyers..
I far as I know there's a good 2000 ton difference between destroyers and corvettes.

posted on Apr, 20 2007 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kr0n0s

How about YOU mind your own business, you sound like a kid who was given monitor duties by the teacher.

ah?

1. is this an american thing because we dont do monitor duties in the UK
2. watch your attitude to others kid and show some respect

sorry for going off topic but these kids get on my nerves when they have nothing better to do

[edit on 20-4-2007 by bodrul]

posted on Apr, 20 2007 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by northwolf
Kr0n0s
Biased patriotic opinions and bashing of other countries is just not what the rest of us thinks as constructive conversation. So if you wan't to keep on shouting GO USA, without adding anything to the conversation please do it in some other place.

Bodrul,

Please allow me to apologize for my countrymen. I do not consider this type of attitude constructive or represenative of most Americans.

I agree with Northwolf's position on this.

Nothing wrong per se in being patriotic. It is just that those of us who have ever served our respective countrys and put our lives and safety on the line in this service are not intrested in chest thumping or boasting. We know how serious this terrible buisness can become. It is not humorous to us. It is serious buisness.
We know that the sea can be a terrible terrible mistress and will exact her tolls accordingly and without favor.
I was touched and humbled by the concern and honor presented by the varioius governments and their Navy's to the sailors lost on the Russian Submarine Kursk.

Please accept my apologies on this matter.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Apr, 21 2007 @ 05:09 PM
link   
I've been following this boat for a few years, at last all my guesswork and research might be proved... wrong. lol.

Someone asked if a Destroyer can carry Sunburn missile (SS-N-22 Moskit). Yes, but this one can only loosely be called a destroyer and carries a different missile called C-802 "Noor" which is of Chinese design. Similar to the Harpoon in general respects.

Someone suggested 41 knots. No, I think that's confusing it with the Sina class missile boats, which are also sometimes called "destroyers" in Iranian sources. They are reverse-engineered Combattante II missile boats. This boat is very slow, maybe 25kts only. This is because Iran couldn't get suitible jet engines ("gas turbines") so went diesel only.

It's called Mowj (/Mowaj/Moudge) and has been known about for some time, just not shown publically. Now models are being shown publically and some photos are creaping out but still no clear shots.

It is visible on Google Earth in Bandar Abbas.

Someone speculated 3,000t. Official figure is 1,400t which is about right. Definately nowhere near 3,000t. Some sources say 1,100t etc. Basically hull is almost exactly as per the Vosper Mk5 corvette (Alvand class in Iranian Service) but with a rear helipad (no hanger) and diesel only powerplant (~why it's so slow).

It lacks the sonar and has poor air defences (it seems).

Here's my artists' impression based on the evidence currently:

[edit on 21-4-2007 by planeman]

posted on Apr, 21 2007 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Oh lets see, because i said this ship would make perfect target practice for the Iowa, you feel a need to apologize for my statements orangetom1999?
Also, a challenge to you to find any sentence that i typed bashing any nation btw so what if i did, to hell with Iran. If you dont like it, then skip my post.
Last thing, even if I were shouting Go USA, which i wasnt. what is your problem with that? your just trolling for for anything that can be spun in your favor. give it up, you dont like what i say then like i said, Move on. If im singled out for a negative comment then yes i will reply back.
The topic was brought up about this ship, which did open the door for comments pro and con to be made about it and the Iranian Navy.
And my assessment of that potential conflict is that Iran is simply wasting money on their Navy if they intend to put it up against the US Navy. That isnt bragging, it is fact.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join