It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

chances of intelligent life on another planet

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 03:20 PM
link   
"The Hubble Space Telescope has found there may be 125 billion galaxies in the universe."
What is needed to have intelligent life on a planet
Large moon to block asteroids
A oxygen rich stable atmosphere to support life
A certain distance from the star they are orbiting a certain location on the outer brim of there galaxy because there is less concentration of space debris and provides a clear exiting shot
Must have a way to create and travel through a wormhole or because the nearest star is nearly 4.3 light years away and the galaxy is proven uninhabitable

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Those conditions are suited to our kind of lifeforms, but surely there will be other types of life. Silcone based energy based, all sorts that we can't even imagaine i have no doubt they exist.

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 03:30 PM
link   
i never said they did not exist but the chances are small

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 03:33 PM
link   
i know they could live just about anywere that is not burning up but i am talking about intelligent life

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 03:33 PM
link   

galaxy is proven uninhabitable

i think your a bit premature with that statement. There could be intelligent life 4.3 light years away :p

[edit on 17-4-2007 by yeti101]

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Hell, we are hard pressed to find intelligent life here, muchless on another planet.

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Must have a way to create and travel through a wormhole

So basicly that eliminates us as intelligent life.

[edit on 17-4-2007 by merka]

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Go talk to the dolphins. Humans are too messed up to qualify....idiot savants perhaps but not truly intelligent.

Alienation is hoping that you are some OTHER form of intelligent life.

Edn

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 03:45 PM
link   
The chances of life on other planets, even intelligent life are imo extremely high. you can do any calculation you want and include any variables you want and you will end up with more than one planet having intelligent life. The simple fact that theres life on this planet makes it improbable for there not to be life else where.

[edit on 17-4-2007 by Edn]

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 04:30 PM
link   
sorry i did not mean it that way i mean extraterrestrial intelligence and getting to earth

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Hi , i'm new here , look at this en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Jabbah,
Thank you.

I first heard the Drake Equation from Carl Sagan on the show Cosmos.
(I know, I'm old)

Blew me away.

Using the equation, even dropping a zero here and there, makes a convincing arguement IMO that somewhere intelligent life either existed
or still exists.

Lex

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by nemesis666
"The Hubble Space Telescope has found there may be 125 billion galaxies in the universe."

i never said they did not exist but the chances are small

Small? I think not. Intelligent or not.

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 05:47 PM
link   

What is needed to have intelligent life on a planet

A few other requirements for intelligent life, assuming such life is similar to us (God help us all, in that case!). I'm not a scientist, this is just based on my memory and what I've read over the years, so anyone feel free to correct me.

1. The planet must be solid (i.e. not gaseous)
2. Planet must have sufficient mass to maintain an atmosphere (see Mars).
3. Planet must have a liquid iron core or some other property that gives it a magnetosphere(that the right word?) to deflect solar radiation.
4. Planet must have an active, "floating crust," so to speak, that through geological events recycles elements like carbon, etc. I've read that the plate tectonics of Earth "recycle" elements and this, among other things, is what allowed life to form. I'm not explaining this well b/c I don't really understand it, someone please jump in and bail me out.
5. I think it'd help, if not be vital, that the planet be tilted on its axis, so as to produce seasons. I guess flora could evolve without seasons but if we're talking about comparative life to Earth, this should be in there.

I'm sure there are plenty of others. Kinda fun to think of them.

a certain location on the outer brim of there galaxy because there is less concentration of space debris and provides a clear exiting shot
Must have a way to create and travel through a wormhole or because the nearest star is nearly 4.3 light years away

These contradict one another - if you have some FTL way to get out of your system, be it hyperdrive, wormhole, whatever, such that you could "skip over" normal space, you wouldn't care if you were in a debris-dense area of the galaxy.

I agree with the people who are saying that statistically, it's highly unlikely that we are all alone in our galaxy, much less the universe. As for whether these other races are capable of reaching us...well, the universe is, what, 13 billion years old? Surely we're not in first place in the Great Space Race. And there are certainly enough hints scattered throughout history that point toward some sort of extraterrestrial interference.

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 06:28 PM
link   
The biggest problem with trying to figure out how probable other life is in the universe is that we don't know what it takes for life to form in the first place. Yes, life exists on Earth. But how, exactly, did it form?

Did it arise spontaneously from a batch of chemicals all swirling around in a mudhole somewhere? How? Those nutty creationists have a pretty good argument with that one. If I throw a lot of gears and cogs into a bag and shake it, how long will it take for all the pieces to bounce into the complete form of a functioning watch? A few billion years? A few thousand billion years?

Chemists have attempted to create life in a test tube, but all they've managed to come up with so far are a few organic compounds. Nothing alive, that's for sure. The pieces have never spontaneously organized to create anything as simple even as a virus.

If we had a little better understanding about how life comes into being in the first place, then maybe we'd have a better chance at guessing how much other life might be out there.

As it stands today, we have exactly zero evidence of life anywhere else. Life might be such a chancy thing that the odds of it ever happening again are literally so astronomical as to be practically impossible.

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 07:15 PM
link   
The chances that their ISNT intelligent life out their, is worse than ever single one of us winning the lottery!

The shear numbers alone prove that!

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 07:20 PM
link   
There's the Drake equation -

1 in 14 million stars may support life....or something like that - in any case, it proves one thing absolutely -

LIFE IS MORE PRECIOUS THAN GOLD.

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 07:27 PM
link   
IMHO there are millions of other civilisations in the universe thinking the same thing.

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 08:11 PM
link   
may sound lame but i think the other planets themselves are living things! there's probably things we cannot see with the human eye. or maybe our eyes/brian dont want to see it.who knows! but i honestly think there is more to the universe than human beings. and i don't think they have to have oxygen .water etc. it's different for every species. i mean heck fish can live underwater .we can't. enough said ha

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheBadge
may sound lame but i think the other planets themselves are living things! there's probably things we cannot see with the human eye. or maybe our eyes/brian dont want to see it.who knows! but i honestly think there is more to the universe than human beings. and i don't think they have to have oxygen .water etc. it's different for every species. i mean heck fish can live underwater .we can't. enough said ha

Have you ever heard of Dr. James Lovelock and "The Gaia Hypothesis"... you might find it very interesting.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join