It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Einstein was right: space and time bend

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2007 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Sorry - if that were true, then the Sun, every nuclear reactor, every decaying radioactive isotope, every spontaneous pair production would cause time travel.

posted on Apr, 21 2007 @ 09:14 PM
link   
I was under the assumption that space and time bending was common sense by now... you mean there's still people out there that need further proof?

posted on Apr, 22 2007 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by newtron25

What if you could "pinch" that space/time continuum with a sufficient exchange of matter to energy and energy back to matter?

Every type of star already does this, no? Well I guess that depends on what you mean by "sufficient" anyway.

Then, suppose, at the point at which the pinching occurs, a vehicle or pod or anything that is made of sufficiently durable material, spans the gap that was made in that pinching??

If I understand you correctly: Your vehicle/pod can't span the gap ie, I imagine you're thinking it 'jumps the gap' or crosses over the 'divot' in space/time created by a massive object vis-a-vis Special Relativity. Your path will [have to] take through the 'divot' ('down' one side and 'up' the other.) Even light follows this path and - technically, I believe - there's no "over" it only through it.

I believe that would provide someone with a means of as fast as (or possibly faster than) light travel.

No, I don't think so. The time/speed effects would be negligable, so far as I know (If you haven't already, read the "time dilation" link in my previous post.) But I was in over my head from the get-go, so don't put too much stock in my answers.

Someone check my theory on that one.

I'm not a physicist, but I like to play one online. 'Bout all I'm good for is making sure you spelled "theory" correctly. Good job, looks good to me. *check*

I think the idea (along the lines you're thinking here) on how to time travel using SR is to somehow warp/bend time/space to the point where both sides of the 'divot' are occupying the same space. Unbend space and Voila! you travelled from point A to point B without covering the distance inbetween . . . should be faster than c and time travel all in one shot.

Atleast that's how it's done in the movies. So, um yeah, glad I could further confuse issues and be of no help what-so-ever. If I am an expert at anything at all, it's that.

Regards.

posted on Apr, 22 2007 @ 07:54 PM
link   
The industro-military oligarchy has much more scientific knowledge at its disposal than is being made public. The reason why major scientific discoveries seem to have slowed down is because our masters are keeping us in the dark.

They have mass-manipulating craft and yet keep up the subterfuge by risking lives in chemically-powered rockets.
They are well-aware of modulated-gravity communication but still fund searches for radio sources.
They are having frequent dialogue with other sentient beings but poo-poo anyone who tries to expose this
There is much knowledge being withheld because the release of such knowledge would empower the ordinary citizen to the point that much of the centralised infrastructure, hence super profits and power, could be eliminated.

The "Dark Ages" were caused by the churches keeping the population uneducated and uninformed to ensure their power was never challenged. The industro-military complex is seeking to take us into a new dark age by selective "progress" and disinformation.

posted on Apr, 23 2007 @ 07:27 AM
link   
"Einstein was a clever man, but his theories are seriously flawed.

One should ask, why is Einstein infinitly more famous than Nikola Tesla (if you've ever heard of him!). Tesla understood more about the fabric of reality than Einstein ever did. He also understood the idea of the cosmic ether/zero point energy, something that Einsteins theories negate because it doesn't work with them..

Tesla gave us electricity. Einstein gave us "the bomb".."

Shrunken Simon

Thank you tesla for providing us with electricity you are a god amongst men !! Einstein gave us the bomb ..... WHAT drugs are you on? Can I have some

Ok here's a question is it possible that the univere is a gigantic lung and the expanding is followed by an equal collapse that would not be visible in our lifetimes?

posted on Apr, 28 2007 @ 09:59 AM
link   
You know I've asked myself many of the same questions. Although I am not an astrophysicist, I have wondered why it seems like we are just confirming old theories over and over and over... perhaps just because it's interesting to see just how strong a theory is?

Sure, we have made some technological progress in the past few decades but I don't think it even comes close to what my grandparents witnessed in their lifetimes. I mean, even if the leaps we must make are greater than those made before (back to bow & arrow analogy) why must the discrete steps in progress over time be fixed? (previous progress = leaps/time --> current progress = bigger leaps/more time)? Is our progress rate fixed per unit of time? Now I realize that new hypotheses come and go but the accumulation of new theories seems relatively fixed. String theory --> M theory --> etc. All in search of the TOE!

Just why is it taking so long for us to figure this out? I only wish I had a stronger background in mathematics so I could truly understand the conflict between quantum physics and cosmology! For now, all I can do is grasp a basic, superficial understanding of the conceptual conflicts. I love Michio Kaku's books but reading them just generates a hunger for more...a deeper understanding of the universe... what the heck is taking so long?

Upward, but not outward... forwards/backwards, left/right, up/down, past/future...? If mathematics can depict it, why is it so hard to reach it? Okay, so an old theory still holds true. Great! But what have we discovered lately? I don't think the government is keeping everything from us per se, but I do think that science needs to be more accessible to the general public (holding the purse strings) if they are ever going to keep making progress. Repeating easy-to-express concepts bores most people. People need to hear about new discoveries, in fresh, thrilling, yet accurate ways or risk falling into obscurity.

By the way, I have nothing but the deepest respect for Einstein.

New-age ideas are a distraction.

Multiple 1-line posts are only good for one thing...

posted on Apr, 29 2007 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Theories, from what I see on this stuff, are all just out there on a vast table like a massively complex puzzle waiting to be made sense of.

The problem is, most of the pieces probably don't even fit into the puzzle we're looking at at any one given moment.

Also, as soon as someone comes up with a big section of the puzzle put together that kinda looks like something (like string theory), then the importance of many of the loose pieces on the table drops - even though they may be just as important to understanding our problem....The Theory of Everything.

Einstein in his own time gathered as many of the pieces as he could into the famous equation, and it looks like it encompasses a pretty darn good portion of the final picture. Of course, once the picture is complete and all the puzzle pieces are in place, then it will take a time to figure out what we're looking at. I know everyone would like to think answers are available through hard work, imagination and luck. The last thing we need is opportunity, which in our experience here on this earth, is time.

I am convinced after research into Quantum Physics that it wasn't so much that Einstein got it wrong...he just didn't have enough information or time (life minutes) to figure it all out.

Hopefully, we'll be able to pick up the torch and carry it far enough for the next group, but time and space do bend.

The question is, can we make it bend, or are we limited to just observing it all happening through giant telescopes and massively parallel computers?

<< 2  3  4   >>

join