It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Android picks up human...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Android picks up human dummy

I've always been facinated with Technology since I could remember.

Science & Technology has gone from a 'jogging stance' to downright sprinting!

In other words: Look at the sophistication of machinery and just how far it advances, not in terms of decades, but in mere months (perhaps weeks)?

Source

In our attempts to create machines (likened to be more 'human-type') we narrow the gap between humans and a 'mere bucket of bolts'.

When it comes down to the Medical field:

We have A.I.'s (Artificial Intelligence); and these A.I.'s are learning on their own (with the help of human programing) and may one day assist along side a surgeon in the operating room.

As seen in the source material provided, Androids are in an infant stage of development.

The need for split-second-decision cababilities have to be highly honed in order to be able to, not only pick up a human in a hospital bed, but also account for any descrepencies in human movement.

Should a patient suddenly jerk about (spasm/fear/etc.) the android must quickly react to these situations so as to not let the patient fall or be harmed in any way.

All in all, I see great potential for these machines in many respects.

Down side:

No more need for strong muscular Orderlies who have to strain their muscles to lift patients to and from beds and gournies.

Upside:

Many!

Would the idea of employing a viable intelligent Android hurt or hinder our Industries?

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Robots are replacing factories workers as we speak.

Alot of easily assembled products will be entirely robotic.

Aside from a few human maintanence workers to up-keep the systems and ensure productivity, it will be totally Android.

Anyone worried about losing their jobs? Are you prepared?

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Being in IT, I look forward to it! No worries about job shortages for me

Someone has to provide support for the latest Microbot Windows 2035, and let the users know that yes you need to turn your robot on and yes it needs to be connected to the network before I can remote in to upgrade it's firmware. No, a vaccumm cleaner robot is different to a sex bot. Yes I know they are both robots, but that doesn't mean you can make sweet sweet love to Roombas brush attachment. Yes it will take more than 2 days to write a complete neural net for your childs doll, and no I am not going to do it for $20 and a vertical metre of beer....well ok..you twisted my arm on that last one

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Though the ability to lift a human isn't exactly ground breaking, it's still interesting at least.

Yes, robots are replacing factory workers. For the most part, they already have. It's my job to do just that, replace people with machines.
Alot of people seem to argue against this, without any actual reason to do so.
Without automated production lines, your products would cost ALOT more, and take alot longer to produce. Essentially, there is nothing stopping those factory workers from learning how to maintain the machines so they can keep a steady income.

The latest project for me is the new line of RCMP bomb disposers. I get a good feeling with this contract, as I know the machines I create are there so a bomb disposal technitian doesnt have to blow himself up trying to move the bomb by hand.

Alot of my colleagues from my graduating class are making medical equipment, electronic testing systems, etc, which will save alot of lives.
Others are constructing and maintaining automated production lines for companies such as Ford, Chrysler, etc. Where people have been known in the past to lose fingers assembling cars... so again, less people hurt.

Personally I feel that if we can slowly pull humans out of manual labor roles, we can get everyone to focus on more intellectual endeavors. Let's just hope nobody screws up our education system.

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by LordGoofus
Being in IT, I look forward to it! No worries about job shortages for me

I'd say you're one of the more lucky ones.

People in the IT world don't neccessarily have to start from scratch when looking for a new job when a robot replaces your old one.

ITers (can I use that word) constantly upgrade their knowledge on par with the upcoming new programs. They are pretty much grounded in their field, so any ongoing training is just icing on the already existing cake.

I feel bad for those who will have to start at the drawing board. To factory workers et al, this is a 9-5 job that is probably monotonous in nature. Clock in clock out. (I appolgize to the workers out there; I am no way demeaning these jobs at all just pointing out generalized facts)

However, just because you work in a factory and are surrounded by machinery, doesn't mean that you are adept in the knowledge of programming that same machinery.

So then what?

Back to the drawing board. Downsizing is going to happen whether we like it or not.

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Holy Moly Johnsky?!?!

That's quite a job you have!

I'm sure there is an extreme amount of responsibility that surrounds your employment. (wondering if he gets danger pay?)

(quote: Originally posted by Johnsky)
Personally I feel that if we can slowly pull humans out of manual labor roles, we can get everyone to focus on more intellectual endeavors. Let's just hope nobody screws up our education system

Can't argue there.

There should be a ISO 9000 with the educational system everywhere.

So when downsizing time comes, and we have to jump back on the 'workforce' horse, there will be no error when it boils down to what the universal standards will be.

If Androids are used to eleviate the manual strain in industries. So be it.

I hope we don't get too complacent and lazy in other sectors of our life.

new topics

top topics

join