It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Inventor touts Robocop-style armour for use in Iraq

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 10:21 PM
link   
This guy has a pretty impressive idea and working model. This could possibly be the next generation of military battle gear. It totally reminded me of the movie Robo cop. check it out...pretty cool.

www.liveleak.com...

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Man that's cool, reminds me of Halo.

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Awesome!!

Its nice to see he finally got the funding he needed to produce the new model. Maybe our Canadian army will get first dibbs and become the ground based super power weve always wanted to be

200 grand is pretty cheap, I was thinking more like 500g's.

I just gave up my dream of a lamborghini, I now want a Trojan.

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 10:11 PM
link   
I'm amazed at how light the material is and yet so strong. you know It does kinda look like the halo suit come to think of it. I do see some great applications for the suit...maybe not all of them. Like the time piece being in the crouch area.

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 11:02 PM
link   
It's 2000$ canadian only, not 200,000. good deal if you ask me, but that thing has gotta impress some really important people to get that suit put to use.

p.s. this is pretty old news but good to let people see it who haven't.

posted on Apr, 15 2007 @ 03:14 PM
link   
good armor.
I hope it's gonna have a future. Congratulations to the guy who created it.

posted on Apr, 15 2007 @ 07:17 PM
link   
The armor is a nice idea, and I'll admit that it looks cool.

However, as usual, I have a few worries. (Maybe I should change my name from Brother Stormhammer to Brother Grinch? :lol

The suit weighs "only" 50 lbs? Not bad, until you consider that PBI (Poor Bloody Infantry) are already carrying gear that weighs most of their own body weight. Adding another 50 lbs is going to be a back-breaker, and I didn't see any 'power assist' in that suit to offset the weight.

Too many gadgets! This guy may be a genius, but he really needs to learn about the KISS principle. Voice recorder for your last words? Remote Sensor Drone / RC car? How thick is the owner's manual, and how much of that stuff is a combat soldier going to have time or inclination to use?

Maintenance? This is, in part, related to the gadget comment. How maintenance-intensive is this beast? Under combat conditions, the answer had better be 'not very'.

He's got a good basic idea, but it really needs to get simplified and lightened before troops in the field can use it.

posted on Apr, 15 2007 @ 10:56 PM
link   
I agree it does need to be simplified. But yea he does need to work out things such as the backpack full of ammo and food,etc. that would be sure to add to the bulkiness of the thing.I could see parts of the suit being used such as the breast plate and helmet.He is on the right track though.

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 06:19 AM
link   
I could see most of the suit getting used! In a simplified way though. I doubt the helmet will make it though, how the hell are you supposed to spot targets and ieds through that little visor. I'd imagine the breastplate and leg armour getting used maybe with a liitle protection for the arms.
The helmets what are used in the army today are sufficient enough, although they can't withstand a direct 7.62/5.56 round.

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by SKUNK2
I doubt the helmet will make it though, how the hell are you supposed to spot targets and ieds through that little visor.

Guy in body armor: "Look over there, a sniper!" *points head laser towards sniper*
Sniper: "Look over there, a laser!" *points rifle toward source of laser*

Guess who wins

I'd like to see him actually test it in combat.

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by merka

Originally posted by SKUNK2
I doubt the helmet will make it though, how the hell are you supposed to spot targets and ieds through that little visor.

Guy in body armor: "Look over there, a sniper!" *points head laser towards sniper*
Sniper: "Look over there, a laser!" *points rifle toward source of laser*

Guess who wins

I'd like to see him actually test it in combat.

well the suit is bullet proof, and fire retardent.In the video it shows him hitting the thing right in the chest with an ax and it didn't even leave a mark.Even if the sniper got off a shot it would not matter because the suit could take the hit and you could still take time to line up your shot and fire.I'd say the guy in the suit would win hands down.
he has other videos demonstrating his stuff.

posted on Apr, 22 2007 @ 08:27 PM
link   
[edit on 22-4-2007 by ECHO4ALPHA]

posted on Apr, 22 2007 @ 08:27 PM
link   
That's not a bad idea at all, I was in Iraq and what armor we have to wear is pretty limited and not always very convienent. The look was a bit over the top, but i'm sure it could be streamlined and mass produced. I've read about others doing research on similiar ideas, but it seems to me that at least the US government is more concerned with wasting money and putting it into their own pockets then actually fitting servicmen with anything that would give them an advantage. Maybe they will go for the idea, after the enemy is using some tactic that would make them outdated...

posted on Apr, 22 2007 @ 08:38 PM
link   
America does not even provide it's troops with normal body armor, or decently armored vehicles...what the hell makes you think they will pay for all this?

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 05:12 AM
link   
nice post!
the armor though is not practical since producing it would cost more than that of training and deploying a new soldier if they cost over 50k each as a conservative estimate.
better to just send wave after wave of men against any threat than use that thing.

d1k

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 09:06 AM
link   
This guy rocks. Way ahead of his time and just the kind of guy the world needs to propel itself beyond expectations. Can't wait to see what this guy comes up with next.

As for his other bullet proof/explosion proof material he made, i know he had some governments looking at it, i wonder if they gave him a contract for it?

new topics

top topics

join