It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Hide Your Name ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Recently I've noticed a few members who have very dark backgrounds around thier "member information" and their name is as dark and you can't read it when looking through posts...

Are certain Members trying to hide their names?

I dont want to show an example, as maybe theres a good reason behind it?

Anyone else notice this?

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 03:48 PM
link   
its against the ATS T&C

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please be aware that colors determined to be too bright or hard on the eyes may be subject to modification by forum staff without refund. Also, your background color must not be the same color as your username.

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 03:48 PM
link   
uh oh... theres gonna be trouble......

I knew that, but had sort of forgotten about it....

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by elevatedone
Recently I've noticed a few members who have very dark backgrounds around thier "member information" and their name is as dark and you can't read it when looking through posts...

Anyone else notice this?

Those are the black-ops members maintaining a low profile.

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 05:29 PM
link   
I noticed a big change after the "Dark Matter" theme was introduced to ATS.
It seemed like a lot of names disappeared into dark background colors at the same time.

Maybe a few members need to be sent a u2u to remind them to update their text colour or background image.

If you notice one in particular, send them a note.

[edit on 9/4/2007 by anxietydisorder]

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Indeed, this is against the Terms & Conditions. The staff try to keep an eye out for this and contact those members who's name is not clearly visible. As a member, if you do come across this, feel free to submit a Suggestion to the staff. Most times the member is not even aware of the problem, or if they are, they are not aware it is a problem.

We certainly appreciate the help.

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Hey, bodrul just helped me out.

He sent me a u2u telling me that when he reads the boards in "Dark Mode" my user name shows up in white text against my yellow background.
I never see it that way because of my "light" settings, but it was a simple thing to change my text colour so that it's visible in both the light and dark environments.

Thanks bodrul, I wouldn't have known, and if anyone notices this in other members profiles, just send them a note so they can fix it.

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by anxietydisorder
Hey, bodrul just helped me out.
I never see it that way because of my "light" settings, but it was a simple thing to change my text colour so that it's visible in both the light and dark environments.

I think that's where at least some of the problems are arising. The difference in the default text and/or background color between the "light" and "dark" themes.

I had in the past, even noticed a couple staff members that briefly had either light text on light background or dark text on dark background. Haven't noticed it recently, though.

Also it should be taken into account different monitors. I use an LCD monitor for instance. Some light shades are almost indistinguishable to white for me, on this monitor. (Plus the fact that I have "Red-Green" color vision, i.e., hard to distinguish certain shades of yellow, under certain circumstances)

When I have seen this in the past, I was'nt sure if it was just my monitor, or my color blindness. (Did'nt think about the "light" and "dark" settings at the time)

--- And don't forget those that accidently change text or background color, when they meant to change the other, not that I would ever do that.... (Whistles to self, non-chalantly(sp?))

As I see it, there are two options for when you see this happen

1. Simply u2u the members, and advise him/her that their profile text is not visible to you. (Let them know if you are using "light" or "dark") That way, perhaps, they will change their text color accordingly.

2. Use the "Complain" function.

edit for typo, and clarity.

[edit on 4/9/2007 by Mechanic 32]

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 02:42 PM
link   
this is just a basic image showing what each coloured text looks on coloured backgrounds, i have only done it for the most used colours

[edit on 10-4-2007 by bodrul]

top topics

join