It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Revolution, flashmobs, and brain chips. A grim vision of the future

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Revolution, flashmobs, and brain chips. A grim vision of the future

www.guardian.co.uk

Information chips implanted in the brain. Electromagnetic pulse weapons. The middle classes becoming revolutionary, taking on the role of Marx's proletariat. The population of countries in the Middle East increasing by 132%, while Europe's drops as fertility falls. "Flashmobs" - groups rapidly mobilised by criminal gangs or terrorists groups.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Is this one of those cases where someone comes out and says that we didn't listen?

www.guardian.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 11:28 PM
link   
This is typical alarmist Luddite garbage. Yeah, I'm sure people 100 years ago would have thought now would be pretty horrible, but who wants to go back to how things were then?

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 01:04 AM
link   
Isnt this what many fiction books have been writing about for decades? Ahh well if any of that becomes true, it woukd appear the states would have to abandon their overseas presence and finally be able to fully secure our own borders 100%, saving us from most of the misery that the super land-mass that is Eurasia/Afirca will undoubtedly suffer.

Well, have fun

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 01:37 AM
link   
Oh, I think this might actually apply to the "States" as well. This has the potential to eventually extend it's reach far and wide.

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 01:39 AM
link   
Souls, please address my skepticism about how concern about the horribleness of the future is not new and always wrong.

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 01:44 AM
link   
Well, I agree, like you put it, "Luditte". Yes it is alarming, but yes it is for the better and it always depends on who is in the drivers seat that might make it scary. Who can ultimately be trusted with this technology? Humans?

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 01:46 AM
link   
Well, souls, I agree that such developments certainly have their potential for abuse, but I think when we look at the whole of history it is seldom if ever that humans do not act in their own self-interest.

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 01:51 AM
link   
And that is exactly why the those artisans were scared, because life as they knew it would change for ever.

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 01:53 AM
link   
Agreed that change is scary, but I would not want to be living in a world without mass production. At the same time, people who warn about future dangers of technology should not be totally ignored because their warnings can be heeded and perhaps we can have our cake and eat it too.

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 02:03 AM
link   
Have you ever read the "Lexus and the Olive Tree"? Thomas Freedman makes a good point in that as globalization advances, people will be left behind, while others learn to adapt to the changes, and continue on. This is just another example of it. The technology that is to come will be necessary to control those who will not be able to adapt and continue on, and those who don't want to adapt, Ludittes if you will. Why else would the Ministry of Defense envision a revolutionary, socially unrested population going hand to hand with technology that might be used for control?

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 02:07 AM
link   
Those who reject technology in a violent fashion have more to fear than those who do not.

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 02:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by uberarcanist
Those who reject technology in a violent fashion have more to fear than those who do not.

Would you agree to have an implanted chip in your brain?

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 02:16 AM
link   
If proven safe, yes. But we are far, far, far away from technology at that level.

I seriously doubt this "oh, the government will use a chip to control my mind!" stuff. Control technology will probably not be developed because it has the capability of being turned against its intended wielders.

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 02:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by uberarcanist
Control technology will probably not be developed because it has the capability of being turned against its intended wielders.

I'm not sure what you mean, well I'm not sure how it can turn against them...

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 02:33 AM
link   
You assume that all of "they" would work together. What's to stop one faction of "they" from controlling another faction of "they"?

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 02:50 AM
link   
You're right, I do assume that they would work together. I never thought about the fact that they might all just be stabbing each other in the back to see who ultimately takes the wheel at this. Obviously it is possible but, if put that way, the early bird doesn't get the worm this time. Let's say the form of control by the chip is through the manipulation of electrical signals in the brain, combined with nano-technology. Who ever goes under the knife first is screwed, so potentially, those who wait until the end, or are so far up that they don't even receive the chip, those are the ones who seem would have the control. Honestly, I do think that it will eventually lead to this, but the form of control I envision in the near future with these chips, is absolute global positioning and tracking, and mild changes in impulses, i.e. preventative crime.

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 03:04 AM
link   
As a futurist and commentator who has written about what's coming, I'll admit to my own bias. While the thrust of that article stresses technological enslavement, I am more worried about what happens due to politicla forces. That has been my central theme since arriving here on ATS.

Technology of any sort can be mis-used for nerfarious purposes. Political forces can be vastly under-estimated. Politicians can lie to us in ways that our technology can't. having said all this, I put it to you that the tools which are being developed to manipulate or control betray the intentions of the people who insist on using it...on the rest of us.

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 03:04 AM
link   
I can't speak for Europe but I'm pretty sure here in the US the whole chip thing will fly about as well as a brick does for one big reason; Christians. To them it is the mark of the beast and if you think they have fought hard against abortion just wait till something like this happens, you will have millions of security risks with a shotgun in one hand and a bible in the others, heck us dirt worshipers might even be able to cooperate with them at that point.

The rest of the stuff seems pretty spot on, just a question of how far down in the you-know-what we get before people realize that something has to be done. Most people will go willingly to whatever end is created for them, if you want to avoid that plan today to live off-grid in some rural area and provide everything for yourself. Despite what most have been fed for years most of the things you have are utterly useless in terms of what really matters, and thats survival.

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 03:55 AM
link   
That article only sounds like a ploy for people in the middle class to accept Marxism as the only possible solution for the future...

Anyone who has lived in a country ruled by the Marxist ideals knows they don't work, and instead there is more opression, and death.

I am really tired of some rich people, that's what the middle class is called in countries ruled by Communism/Marxism, who have never experienced or seen what these "ideals" do to a country, and want to play the "saviours of the world by claiming Marxism is the only way to save the future"....

top topics

<<   2 >>

join