It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Parasite Makes Victims Commit Suicide

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2007 @ 08:33 PM
link   
The maggots arn't controlling the people though, the heads just a nice warm place to grow

posted on Apr, 7 2007 @ 11:23 PM
link   
The ant video just made me not want to garden ever again with the fear of touching something like that.

Being this was about parasites, hosts, and being close to or in the head I wanted to tell you all about video of a woman with a very large maggot in her head which was caused by a Mosquito bite (botfly maggot). She had a very large boil like bump on her head with a breathing hole for the maggot and you could clearly see the movement of the maggot.

I would post the link but it states the video may contain content that is inappropriate for some users (typical medical channel content that is shown on Discovery Channel) so not sure why. However, here is the title in case anyone is interested in checking it out on YouTube.

Human Infected with Costa Rican Parasite

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 12:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kacen
Oh god thats nasty...

But how the hell did that huge worm fit in that cricket?! How much space is inside it?! It seemed implausible...

i know, thats what i said. It dosnt make sense lol

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 01:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by halfmask
That's some creepy stuff. Imagen if there are ones that use humans. Isn't there one that infects cats and humans? I swear I read that some where.

Yes there are. They are human intestinal parasites, or intestinal worms, also known as tapeworms.

There are children, and even older people who have died due to these parasites, both my aunt who used to be a doctor and my mother who was a nurse also studying to be a doctor have told me of cases they have seen when they had to perform autopsies of children who were plagued by these parasites.

Many times children get these parasites when for example they drop a cookie to the floor, pick it up and eat it thinking there was nothing wrong with eating the cookie. At other times children playing in the earth or with mud and somehow puting their hand in their mouth will swallow these parasites. The parasites make their way to the intestine and eat what the host eats, while at the same time growing inside of you. If you don't eat enough the parasites start eating you.

There are people who have these parasites for a long time and never realize it, until the parasites are too big and the health problems are too big to ignore.

There are other smaller parasites which we can get by drinking water, or breathing in an area where these parisites are thriving.

There are herbal medicines that can help combat these parasites. For example I take one supplement called Herbalax which is very good in cleaning the colon and intestine. If you take 2-4 of these pills you will clean yourself throughouly and this in turn will help reduce the risk of getting such parasites. However, no remedy is perfect, and if you suspect to have such parasites the best thing is to go to the hospital.

I take these pills at least once a week for cleaning my system. There are other supplements that are also good for the immune system to help you combat these parasites, such as zinc and vitamin C.

However these are not cures, but will reduce the risk of getting such parasites, or could help combat these parasites, but as i said the best way to get rid of these is to go to the hospital and seeing a doctor.

I have never had these parasites, but I do take supplements to avoid getting sick or getting these sort of parasites.

[edit on 8-4-2007 by Muaddib]

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 01:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by MicheleLee
The ant video just made me not want to garden ever again with the fear of touching something like that.

When working in your garden you should always have gloves and never touch your mouth, eyes, or nose or close to them with these gloves.

Anyone who works in their garden without gloves is inviting getting infected by these parasites.

However the parasites are not controlling anyone.

The cricket you saw in the first video was suffering tremendously from having that prasite, which is why he jumped into the pool... it wasn't because the worm was controlling the cricket...

[edit on 8-4-2007 by Muaddib]

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 02:12 AM
link   
Oh, i almost forgot, this is a good site with a lot of good information on intestinal parasites.

www.umm.edu...

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 02:23 AM
link   
Some parasites are indeed able to influence the behaviour of their hosts, according to this article:

www.livescience.com...

Half of the world's human population is infected with Toxoplasma, parasites in the body—and the brain. Remember that.

Toxoplasma gondii is a common parasite found in the guts of cats; it sheds eggs that are picked up by rats and other animals that are eaten by cats. Toxoplasma forms cysts in the bodies of the intermediate rat hosts, including in the brain.

Since cats don't want to eat dead, decaying prey, Toxoplasma takes the evolutionarily sound course of being a "good" parasite, leaving the rats perfectly healthy. Or are they?

Oxford scientists discovered that the minds of the infected rats have been subtly altered. In a series of experiments, they demonstrated that healthy rats will prudently avoid areas that have been doused with cat urine. In fact, when scientists test anti-anxiety drugs on rats, they use a whiff of cat urine to induce neurochemical panic.

However, it turns out that Toxoplasma-ridden rats show no such reaction. In fact, some of the infected rats actually seek out the cat urine-marked areas again and again. The parasite alters the mind (and thus the behavior) of the rat for its own benefit.

If the parasite can alter rat behavior, does it have any effect on humans?

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 02:39 AM
link   
This thread is like a million times worse than the drug commercials.

Now I think I have all these horrible parasites feeding on me!!!

[edit on 4/8/2007 by djohnsto77]

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 03:58 AM
link   
This is pretty old news? been on discovery and ngc in various shows for quite some time.

Best known is the parasite that lives in mice and rat brains, it makes them like the smell of cats and cat urine.
So they make easier prey for cats, as far as walking into a cat's den by itself.
The cat eats the mouse, parasite enters the cat's body and can continue it's next phase of life.
Offspring is dumped in cat feces, from which it infects mice and such that get near. and the cycle repeats.

At least 50% of humans is infected, but it has no far fetching effects, studied effects are that infeted people are bigger risk takers, like risking more in traffic.

A bad effect is on pregnant women as it can have very bad effects on the foetus, as far as causing a miscarriage. (hence the common advice to have your hubby clean your cat's litter bin)

The main cycle revolves around the cats and rodents, but any warmblooded animal can get infected, by contact with said feces, eating undercooked or raw meat and transferense from mother to embrio.

looking for a sec. if I can remember the name again....

Toxoplasmosis..

It's an interesting subject

I guess you could influence behaviour (a lot is determined by the chemicals in your brain, like tendency to get angry).
But it seems to me real mind control isn't, parasites usually aren't smart concious thinking critters, so deliberate mind control seems far fetched. but influencing behaviour definitely.

[edit]I'm mean so here's a few facts for people who might have some issues sleeping after the cricket story (again it's not mindcontrol.. it's influencing the cricket to like water, it's still the cricket's choice to jump in)

-1 in 3 I think (can't find it atm) people have a worm in their intestines ^^
-The average male carries 2 lbs worth of parasites.

On a brighter note. Quite a few parasites are good for us or at least don't pose a problem (mites living on your eyelashes and eyebrows e.g.)
Recent studies are hinting at possible treatment of MS (multiple sclerosis) with parasites.

Also interesting study:
Effects of cat parasite on human culture

[edit on 8-4-2007 by David2012]

[edit on 8-4-2007 by David2012]

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 08:42 AM
link   
*shudder* I wish I hadn't watched these videos but at the same time it was really interesting ....morbid curiousity gets the better of one most of the time. Gah , I'll be surprised if I don't have nightmares tonight!

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 09:05 AM
link   
I regret ever reading this thread.

But if you want to read an interesting article about horrible (and smart) parasites, djohnsto77 posted a good link in case you missed it: Do Parasites Rule the World?

*shudders*

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 09:06 AM
link   
i watched that video...Human Infected with Costa Rican Parasite

DISGUSTING...you could see it moving in her head....why would you wait that long to see a doctor

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 04:40 PM
link   
thanks for the videos.

sustainable suppresion via parasites

i can't find the video, but it's about a certain wasp that lands on the back of a larger beetle and literally inserts it's antennae or appendage into the beetle's brain and drives the creature. it then lays its eggs in the beetle where the brood begin their life and eat their way out.

i'll keep looking for it and post it if i can track it down.

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 06:46 PM
link   
hmmm well that ws a gd thing to watch jus b4 i ws bout to go sleep 2nite lol, that looked painful for the nail tho having a worm in his eyes ewww, nd how the f**k did that worm get inside the cricket, i think the aliens we've all been searching for are on the earth after all lol

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 09:37 PM
link   
isnt there like a legend about earwigs and how they got their name...by crawling into your ear and killing you via eating your brain...I should google it and get back to you on that lol before posting this oh well

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 04:11 AM
link   
There's an extensive discussion of host control by parasites in The Extended Phenotype by Richard Dawkins.

It's true that parasites control the behaviour of their hosts. However, it isn't as if the parasite knows what it's doing. This is just another example of natural selection at work: parasites that caused this behaviour in hosts tended to survive and reproduce, passing on their genes and spreading the pattern. Eventually, after much evolution and counter-evolution by host and parasite, you end up with something like this.

The control mechanism is usually something that works very simply. Dawkins gives the example of a fluke that lives out part of its lifecycle in a bird and part in a snail. The bird lives off that particular species of snail. Like most snail species, this one normally hides from direct sunlight (which can dry it out and kill it pretty fast). However, when the snail is infected by the fluke, its internal wiring gets all messed up so that it moves towards sunlight, not away from it. At which point it's out in the open, gets eaten by the bird and the fluke is off and away to the next phase of its life cycle.

The fluke lives in the snail's eyestalks, by the way.

To the person who said 'maybe the cricket jumped into the water because it couldn't stand the pain in its guts' -- well, that's probably not a bad description of what happened. But it's also, in this case, exactly the way the parasite controls the host -- by making it feel so bad it wants to jump into the water.

Humans behaviour is often controlled by parasites. When a stomach bug gives you diarrhoea and you have to rush to the loo every half an hour, what's making you do it? The parasite, of course.

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 05:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by MicheleLee
a woman with a very large maggot in her head which was caused by a Mosquito bite (botfly maggot). She had a very large boil like bump on her head with a breathing hole for the maggot and you could clearly see the movement of the maggot.

Heh? a maggot is a fly larva, not a mosquito. And no insect lays eggs by biting.

Other than that, interesting thread, the idea of toxoplasma living in a brain is quite disturbing.

but it's about a certain wasp that lands on the back of a larger beetle and literally inserts it's antennae or appendage into the beetle's brain and drives the creature.

Did you read the link you posted?

The wasp paralyzes the beetle and lays and egg on a soft spot. It DOES NOT sting it's brain and control it's behaviour

[edit on 9-4-2007 by DarkSide]

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Uisge Baugh
isnt there like a legend about earwigs and how they got their name...by crawling into your ear and killing you via eating your brain...I should google it and get back to you on that lol before posting this oh well

Not really.. I have no clue where the name came from, But I do know they don't actually have anything to do with your ears lol...
I'm guessing the myth came from the name not vice versa.

Apart from the maybe 1 in a million chance that a blind, deaf and dumb earwig thinks it's a nice place to rest lol.

Seriously, no earwigs don't crawl into ears, eat brains or mind control anyone.

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 03:31 PM
link   

originally posted by DarkSideOther than that, interesting thread, the idea of toxoplasma living in a brain is quite disturbing.

Well it's disturbing and yet it's not.
Apart from bad effecs on pregnant women, the only big effect on humans is the tendency to take bigger risks... that can be a bad thing.. but it can also be a good thing... I mean it makes you think.. half the population has toxoplasmosis.. Maybe we never would have done the moon thing, or sailed to the america's without the added risk taking effect of the parasite.

but it's about a certain wasp that lands on the back of a larger beetle and literally inserts it's antennae or appendage into the beetle's brain and drives the creature.

Right. I've studied biology and never heard of antennae or brain transplantations and driving other bugs lol... sounds like a bad b-film horror flic.

-----

I've seen a few comments about control.. Parasites don't control. They subtly influence.
Again toxoplasmosis example.. an infected mouse isn't mind controlled or steered towards cats.. Toxoplasmosis alterations to brain chemistry make the smell of cats seem nice and appealing to the mouse. That's why the mouse chooses to venture near cats.

For humans it's entirely different, because we are more intelligent.
You would not go near a bad thing dispite it seeming appealing because you would know from your doc etc. that this is an effect of the parasite.. jumping off that cliff (hypothetical suicide parasite lol) might seem very nice, but you know it's not.. Hope it's clear what I mean..

Another example.. again a fictional parasite... it makes feces seem to smell like flowers... but you would still know it's feces. lol

My point is.. parasites cause subtle effects.. they don't steer you...
If not in the correct host their influence might not amount to anything at all.
The chemicals released by toxoplasmosis are geared towards mice.. it makes them like the smell of cats, in a human we just have a little added risk taking... It doesn't have the same effect as on mice..
(I'm fairly sure as a longtime owner and lover of cats that I have toxoplasmosis, I still don't like the smell of the litterbin, if I were a mouse though.. I'd be living in the litterbin..)

Hope my rambling is somewhat understandable.. Sometimes I don't seem to manage to get what I mean written down properly.

just once again in short lol.. parasites don't steer or control, they change chemistry causing subtle influences. Like making a cricket like water, make a mouse like the smell of cats. All the choices are still the animal's not the parasites'.

[edit on 9-4-2007 by David2012]
PS. (not recommended to read for people who can't bare the thought of parasites or being fed on)

We have several parasites living on us that "eat us alive" meaning they eat dead skin cells for example. The fear of parasites is somewhat overstated.
Most parasites do not hurt us, it doesn't help a parasite much if his host/food source dies.
Most parasites use warmblooded animals as incubation chambers or food sources like eating dead skin cells, hair, skin oils.
We don't notice or suffer adverse effects as they live on us or pass through us (we even have critters live in the layer of moisture on our eyes).
True there are some nasty ones out there.. the well known worms that live in intestines, the parasites that painfully burst through your skin after having hatched and grown under the skin, elephantitis is a disfiguring ugly disease caused by parasites living in your lymfatic system.
Malaria is a parasite not a virus, another example.

But to be scared of the thousands of different innocent and not so innocent parasites living on us, in us and around us would be like being scared for the common cold just because you know ebola is out there too.

I had some images to post but refrain from doing so.. they are really bad lol.
I think "excreted huge pile of dozens of worms from a massive infection on a kid" description might hint at what I mean with really bad.

Searching on the mentioned parasites/diseases will yield enough horror material I think.

Sleep tight ^^

[edit on 9-4-2007 by David2012]

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 03:31 PM
link   
I suffer from really bad floaters which are also a nuisance and very depressing. Searched for ages on google and still haven't found a cure. Not even sure what causes them. Mine just dont seem to get any better. Now I think I know why. I recently bought a new TFT monitor and when I first switched it on, just to check that I didn't have any dead pixels. I did a dead pixel test. When the screen swtiched to all white that's when I noticed these small things basically swimming about in my vision. The more I looked the more I could focus on them and there's literally hundreds of them swimming and darting about.

Well after seeing them I made an appointment to see the doctor straight away. I told him that I think I've got parasites in my eyes and he looked using a light. Because he didnt see anything, basically that was that as far as he was concerned. Well I wasn't happy and made an appointment to see a another doctor who basically did the same test and I was also told to bring in a stool sample which would then be tested.

Well the test came back negative so I'm no further forward. I've definitely got parasites in my eyes. They are as obvious as the light of day. If I have hundreds in my eyes, who knows where else they might be and how they are affecting my health. I tried some of the remedies that I found on the internet without any success. Took raw garlic for seven weeks which is supposed to kill the eggs and raw onion to kill the parasites. Also took mega doses of vitamin C, Lactobacillus acidophilus and zinc. Made absolutely no difference. Can still see the little buggers swarming about.

For the last six months I've had really bad stomach problems. My stomach never stops rumbling. I have diarrhea nearly all the time now and I'm literally shaking or vibrating from head to toe. It's like my nervous system is under extreme stress. My health doesn't seem to be getting any better even though I exercise a lot and eat healthy.
I told the doctor all of this but it didn't make any difference.

I guess I'll have to make yet another appointment with the doctors. Any other advice would be appreciated.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join