It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran strikes blow in propaganda war

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2007 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Iran strikes blow in propaganda war

english.aljazeera.net

Iran's announcement coincided with the release in Baghdad of an Iranian diplomat seized in Iraq in early February.

But what Iran might have won is a more careful Western approach to the Middle East power.

The US says its policy is to arrest Iranians in Iraq who are funnelling arms or money to Shia fighters there. But it may be more cautious if it thinks Iran is willing to retaliate by seizing US troops.

Syria.. said it had played a role in winning the release of the sailors.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 5 2007 @ 01:45 PM
link   
This article is filled with about three hundred points that should be addressed. All of the following are quotes; my comments are in [brackets].

[ul]
  • "In the process, his country was able to deflect attention from its nuclear programme and prove it could cause trouble in the Middle East if it wanted to." [I don't know if that really happened, although it did happen around the time of the UN resolution.]
  • "Iran's announcement coincided with the release in Baghdad of an Iranian diplomat seized in Iraq in early February." [There's your deal.]
  • James Dobbins, a former Bush administration envoy to Afghanistan, said: "It allowed the Iranians to demonstrate that they can't be trifled with. They have a capacity to take action, and that will undoubtedly make people more careful." [I don't know if I agree with this statement; to me it belies recklessness.]
  • The US cautiously welcomed Iran's announcement, although Dick Cheney, the vice-president, said "it was unfortunate that they were ever taken in the first place". [Interesting person to make that statement. I wonder if there is a conflict between the state department and the White House?]
  • ...what Iran might have won is a more careful Western approach to the Middle East power. [Again, not so sure.]
  • Iran may also have been trying to moderate Ahmadinejad's hardline reputation, allowing him to announce the release to appear benevolent. [If so, that makes one wonder why he would decorate the capturing officers.]
  • But some analysts said Iran's actions had caused it to be distrusted more by the international community, even if Tehran may have scored a slight propaganda victory at home. [I agree with this interpretation.]
  • One of the British men told Ahmadinejad: "Your people have been really kind to us, and we appreciate it very much." Another said: "We are grateful for your forgiveness." Ahmadinejad responded in Farsi: "You are welcome." [This seems strange to me, does it seem that way to anyone else?]
  • Some analysts say Iran's supreme leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, decided the crisis had gone far enough at a time when Tehran faces mounting pressure over its nuclear programme. [This goes against the argument above that this was meant to take the focus off the nuclear program. I'm undecided about this; the supreme leader is very quiet, so I don't know what his aims are.]
    [/ul]

english.aljazeera.net
    (visit the link for the full news article)

• new topics

join