It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UFO hacker McKinnon loses appeal

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 02:15 PM
link   

UFO hacker McKinnon loses appeal

www.p2pnet.net

p2pnet.net news:- Self-described 'bumbling computer nerd' Gary McKinnon, who started his hacking career looking for proof of a UFO cover-up by penetrating American computers, has lost his attempt to halt his extradition from Britain to the US.

And bad timing may have had something to do with US determination to get
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.courttv.com

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 02:15 PM
link   
This may have already posted not sure, but just in case. Im sorry to see this guy go down, it just doesnt seem like he did anything really wrong.

www.p2pnet.net
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 02:33 PM
link   
I agree. His intentions dont seem to to be as bad as they are making it out to be. I think they should hire him so they can find out all the flaws they have in their system and fix it. I men if he was able to access the info, what makes them think a real terrorist with truely evil intentions hadnt already done so.

posted on Apr, 5 2007 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Gary McKinnon.

I don't know the fellow personally, but i cried when i heard the news.

I am so surprised at our Government's attitude to all this. I hope the House of Lord's have more compassion and more sense. What more is there to say. Good luck your not on your own Gary!

posted on Apr, 5 2007 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by ImpliedChaos
I agree. His intentions dont seem to to be as bad as they are making it out to be. I think they should hire him so they can find out all the flaws they have in their system and fix it. I men if he was able to access the info, what makes them think a real terrorist with truely evil intentions hadnt already done so.

posted on Apr, 5 2007 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Just cos he hit a nerve they don't like it do they? They can't very well call him anything other than a genius. I'm not sure if the Government are scared of the American's or scared of themselves??
I have my own issues with alien's and that's bad enough sometime's. I'm glad i'm not that clever is all i can say!

posted on Apr, 5 2007 @ 06:27 PM
link   
He should have downloaded all the info that he had viewed and saved it in multiple copies. I get the impression that he was only looking at suppressed UFO material anyway. Who was in charge of the the data security?
It beggars belief that someone with a home PC can access such protected material.

posted on Apr, 5 2007 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Gaining illegal access to government or military computer is now seen as eletronic terrorism regardless of the perons motives behind the hack. I'm not too sure about the United States, but in the United Kingdom it is terrorism under law. Plus, he went looking into certain areas and claim to have found certain information. He dug his own grave.

Many questions have come about of this and if he really did "hack" anything. Some hackers I have spoken to said his story didn't make sense in certain areas. So, he could be in trouble for making stuff up. Which is stupid.

it just doesnt seem like he did anything really wrong.

He gained access to a government/military system. Plus he claimed to have gained access to top secret information or attempted too. Thats illegal.

I mean, yeah sure MI5 probably have information on me and I would like to read it. But I wouldn't gain access to British government systems to do so.

Agencies only go after you if you gain access to information. The NSA will admit to not chasing hackers who "log in" just to get a "trophy hack". So will most for that matter. They only care if you starting accessing data.

[edit on 5-4-2007 by infinite]

posted on Apr, 7 2007 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Another thing is the lack of loyalty that the British Government seem to lhave towards it's citizen's' that's what get's me! It should'nt matter hat someone has done as long as it does'nt involve hurting or killing someone.
They were encouraging people a few years back to all get on line and get their own pc's. Infact i remember charities were helping out putting pc's together and giving them away to families onlow incomes.
So why do this to Gary Mkinnon?
Where's tha loyalty, never mind anything else?

The same go's for the poor football supporters in Italy the other day. I know we have'nt got the best reputation abroad when it come's to football, but agian they did'nt desreve getting beaten to pulp for nothing. The response from our Government? Nothing!!!!

posted on Apr, 7 2007 @ 07:38 AM
link   
One more thing. I think it is quite embarrassing to be honest to have to admit that your English. I'm lucky i don't look English. I feel that there is no loyalty anymore from this Government. You would think that would be one of the first thing's Blair would have learnt from the Tories? They never had any loyalty amongst themselve's, let alone for their own citizen's... I have cried myself to sleep thinking about it as it really upsets me. Poor Gary, he's only young. Probrobly one of Thatcher's children, as they say like me! Gary found what he was good at and now look what's happened to him?

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 05:36 AM
link   

He gained access to a government/military system. Plus he claimed to have gained access to top secret information or attempted too. Thats illegal.

I mean, yeah sure MI5 probably have information on me and I would like to read it. But I wouldn't gain access to British government systems to do so.

Free Governments should be transparent. That information isn't their property. It's yours.

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 06:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by AwakeAndAllSeeing
Free Governments should be transparent. That information isn't their property. It's yours.

When it falls under "national security" it is their property

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite

Originally posted by AwakeAndAllSeeing

When it falls under "national security" it is their property

An elected body should make the decision of what is national security.

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Gary McKinnon is the sacrificial lamb here, being offered up on the holy altar of security. While it is true that he broke U.S. law, the way in which it has been handled both by his own govt. and that of the U.S. leaves a lot to be desired. He didnt have to be extradited; it seems to be a case of the British govt. serving him up to the U.S. govt. - knowing how fanatical the U.S. has become about security issues. What has Britian or even the EU have to gain by dening the U.S. here? Nothing. It is not worth it to them to protect this citizen. The issue is access to information - Gary Mckinnon is the proverbial canary in the coalmine; how long before other citizens are persectuted in the same way for even lesser offenses. Linking him to the 911 event seems like just a way to use the big scare stick - like saying "Stay away here, we want this guy.". Its a smear tactic. I cant help thinking he's just a scapegoat, the guy they could actually catch to save some incompetant security executive in the military.

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 02:16 PM
link   
I aagree, but how could he have broken the law in the US if he was'nt even on their turf?

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 06:15 AM
link   
i cant belive that happened the biggest miltary hack he says and he says he found evidence of ufos

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 12:57 PM
link   
well someone had to, it just happened to be him! I would think that even if you stumble across something as fantastic as that, then one can't help but get sucked into it! Let's face everyone can't be wrong about the fact that other life form's other than our own exist. This website is great for like minded people to try and make sense of it all!

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 01:16 PM
link   
It is an interesting point Happiness brings up; what law did he break? He didnt break any British law; he was on British soil the whole time. However, he was telepresently in U.S. territory - so he was in the U.S. "virtually". Britian and the U.S. are allies, so they have extradition procedures in place. It is interesting that he is going to be prosecuted in a territory as far as I know he's never actually been to. It's obvious he's being made "an example" for others, in order to scare them off.

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by happinness
I aagree, but how could he have broken the law in the US if he was'nt even on their turf?

If you hack into US government computers you are committing a crime against the US government, no?

Plus as someone else said, even online if you are hacking into US systems you are in their 'virtual' territory. It's like when you sign up to a US-based company over the internet you have to click an agreement that says that your information and acts are treated under US laws. I'm sure it is complicated though because these laws are probably being tweaked all the time.

It is a shame to see such a talent go down like that, especially as he didn't have a chance to actually uncover any good information to the public.

But hey, that's national security for you!

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 10:40 AM
link   
If i recal correctly i don't think that he realised at first what he'd done. So technically he would have bi-passed any formality to any agreeement. I guess once he was in, that was the last thing on his mind as to whether he should be there or not. According to the interview he said he was'nt the only one looking in.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join