It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Carbon Footprint Survey

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2007 @ 01:14 PM
link   
I thought it might be an interesting exercise to have a completely unscientific survey regarding the new trend for monitoring individuals "carbon footprint".

Please reply honestly about:
Mode of transportation (including frequency of air and/or other forms of travel than just cars)
Car owners please state model and approx. mpg
Size of abode
Energy efficiency of abode
Number of electrical appliances (and type)

This is not an exhaustive list but will give an idea of how large your "carbon footprint" is.

I must say first, that I am not a great believer in man made GW, but I do respect the environment. So here's my answers....

Mode of transportation (including frequency of air and/or other forms of travel than just cars) - I travel by bike, I live close to my work and have never owned any type of internal combustion vehicle. If I have to travel further, I use the train. At 38, I have flown (short haul, no more than 800 miles) 5 times in my life.
Car owners please state model and approx. mpg - N/A
Size of abode - I have a small 4 room flat (inc. bathroom)
Energy efficiency of abode - I have double glazing and good insulation, in order to increase the energy efficiency of my home.
Number of electrical appliances (and type) - My appliances are as follows; fridge (with high rating for efficiency), 21" Hitachi TV, Sony Stereo micro system, Laptop, Gas cooker (electric cookers are much less efficient), fastboil kettle, Toaster.

Please fill in answers HONESTLY and post - it might be interesting.....

posted on Mar, 29 2007 @ 01:45 PM
link   
oops
forgot to mention I also have 2 storage heaters

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 12:44 AM
link   
Mode of transportation (including frequency of air and/or other forms of travel than just cars)
Four door Sedan to and from work. Travel home for lunch. Me and wife share vehicle with different shifts, travel the same route from home to work eight times a day (for lunches and shift change)

When off of work, I use my bicycle to get around the city unless the family is going somewhere.

I have started flying on planes at least once a year now.

Car owners please state model and approx. mpg 1992 Mazda Protege, 20-25 mpg

Size of abode
Purchased in 1998: umm like over 2000 sq ft. with four bedrooms, two living rooms, a dining room, a kitchen/eating area, a patio with enclosed pool.

Energy efficiency of abode
I think the insulation is the same that has been in the house since the 50's, and my window has been open a crack for like 4-5 years because its broken. I have replaced all incandecent lightbulbs with Compact flourescents though. Also through recycling we have reduced our garbage quite significantly. Used to be two full garbages cans twice a week, now sometimes its only like two bags the whole week.
Number of electrical appliances (and type)
Three television sets (2) 32 inch sets, (1) 52 inch HDTV.
Old ass used washer and dryer that came with the house, neither is energy star certified.
New glasstop electric stove (dont know the energy usage)
Old ass AC unit that came with the house
Refrigerator was acquired last year and is an energy Star Kenwood fridge.
PC with a 350 watt power supply.
New Water heater with Energy Star
Old ass microwave that came with the house.
A labtop used as a desktop pc.
Old ass oven, that came with the house. No energy star.
A home aquarium with like 8 things that use energy (144 watt PC lights, two powerheads, protien skimmer, wet dry filter)
Bed frames, dvd case, exec desk, and majority of assorted furniture made of particle board (recycled wood/fiber)

Well it is not looking good for me here, and that is that I am an advocate for the preservation and protection of our natural environment. But I can admit it, and am taking steps to improve. the 52 inch Tv is already made, and there is no sense in getting rid of it. I would love to replace the washer and dryer for super energy efficient ones, but we are not that rich yet. The more practical thing if course to work on is replacing my window, that will get done in the next few months because I only recently re-discovered it.

I do feel it is time for a new oven though, and that is more affordable. And the microwave is old as #, better take care of that as well. I love my fishies in my reef aquarium, so that is a hypocryt practice I will gladly continue to enjoy, and be shunned for.

Yea this totaslly sux for me, Im an asshole to the environment. Well I am just going to keep trying to improve how I live. At leats I NEVER use my cars AC. I have always preferred the natural wind. # if I were single, I would never even use the homes AC/heater.

So does anyone else have the decency to admit how bad they sticking it to Earth? I figure as long as I continue to try and improve as well as educating everyone I know, I am doing my part.

Hey I like this it is very interesting, I dare anyone to honestly post their answers, it almost felt kind uplifting.

[edit on 3/30/2007 by DYepes]

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 04:10 AM
link   
thnx DYepes

very interesting and honest.
I think that how we look at how we live is one of the major ways of protecting the environment.

Before anyone castigates me for now believing all the hype about man-made gw, let me say that I AM in favour of protecting both our species and the environment through re-cycling, energy efficiency etc.
I have also been a member of greenpeace for over 15 years.

Lets have more answers - and remember - this is not a trial, it's merely for info and to try and make us all think about our energy use.

Thanks

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 06:44 AM
link   
1.4L petrol approx 40mpg & 1.6L petrol approx 35mpg
4 bed chalet style bungalow - fully insulated to latest UK bldng regs and double glazed. New Combi boiler for heating and water.
Large american style fridge/freezer new so energy rated.
Dishwasher, washing machine, dryer, microwave, 2pc's, 3 tv's 1 32" & 2 14".
DVD player, VHS, games console, 3 alarm clock/radios, 3 x cd/radio players.

Amazing how much crap a family of 4 can generate.

fly to scotland from bournemouth (family) once a year.

Have petrol mower, chainsaw and hedgecutter aswell.

Recycle glass,card,paper,plastic and compost foodwaste and grow vegetables in garden.

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by budski

thnx DYepes

very interesting and honest.
I think that how we look at how we live is one of the major ways of protecting the environment.

Before anyone castigates me for now believing all the hype about man-made gw, let me say that I AM in favour of protecting both our species and the environment through re-cycling, energy efficiency etc.
I have also been a member of greenpeace for over 15 years.

Lets have more answers - and remember - this is not a trial, it's merely for info and to try and make us all think about our energy use.

Thanks

sorry - that should read NOT believing man made gw hype

also forgot about gas fired hot water heater and blender

but thats it!

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 07:13 PM
link   
I produce roughly 4 tonnes of CO2 per year.

I've done several Carbon Footprint tests before, and that's the average.

[edit on 3/30/2007 by iori_komei]

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 07:21 PM
link   
well thnx for joining in...

posted on Mar, 31 2007 @ 01:43 AM
link   
Mode of Transport:
Small, 2 door, 4 cylinder car. About 25 mph. I drive about 150 miles a week to school and home. I use it for everything else, too. And I don't carpool.

Airplane travel: twice a year, and probably only about 2500 miles all together, round trip both times (to see family).

Home: about 650 square feet, 1 bedroom apt. No a/c, just a window unit I rarely (if ever) use.

Appliances:
Computer, monitor, printer.
Stackable washer/dryer, energy star.
30 year old fridge, not energy star.
Gas stove and oven.
Gas water heater.
Lightbulbs are the new energy efficient kind.
1 27" tv, energy star.
1 microwave, new(ish).
Gas heater
Several fans

Other things I do/am aware of:
I recycle always. If the place I'm at when I'm done with a plastic bottle or whatever doesn't have a recycle program, I bring it home and recycle it there.

Several items of furniture made from bamboo/rubberwood, both rapid growers and easily replaced. Also several particleboard pieces of furniture.

Light on in the room I'm in only.

I use the open window method of a/c, and only run the fans during the heatwaves in summer. I can't sleep without them.

Low Flow potty and shower head.

I have a relatively small carbon footprint; I am not a ardent ecologist, but am aware of, and do my best to minimize what I can when I can without it being a significant burden to me (i.e a 4 hour 1 way trek on public transport for school, or work).

Regards-
Aimless

posted on Mar, 31 2007 @ 04:46 AM
link   
I don't have a car.
I walk to work.
I travel on holiday by coach or train. Never, ever, fly.
I live in a small 2 bedroomed mid terrace house.
I rarely have any heating on (gas).
I do however have a Sky sateliite box in my house which has to be on standby all the time. My TV is always switched off properly, as are all other electrical devices (usual stuff: laptop, stereo, oven (electric) , fridge, washing machine etc - no tumble dryer or dishwasher though)
Usually only one light on in the house, and that's a low energy bulb in the living room. Kitchen is a fluorescent tube, other lights incandescent bulbs but are never on for more than a few minutes at a time.
I recycle all that I can and have a compost bin in my garden.
My business is an antique centre - I you could say that I also work in recycling

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 03:03 PM
link   
"Carbon Footprint" has to be one of the dumbest catch phrases to come along is quite some while. I cringe and think of the high priest of global warming, Al Gore, every time I hear it.

Vehicles: Nissan Xterra SUV, 15 mpg, Ford Ranger pickup, 20 mpg, Nissan Altima, 23 mpg. Rarely travel by air these days, perhaps 4 flights
every 3 years.

Home: 2,200 Sq. feet, all electric. Excellent insulation, brick and insulated aluminum siding. High efficiency heat pump for both central heating and cooling with damper to control flow upstairs, timed thermostat to reduce electrical usage while at work/school.

Appliances:Washer, dryer, dishwasher, side by side refrigerator/freezer with icemaker, 2 small bedroom refrigerators, 2 computers, 4 televisions, 1 64''. Microwave, electric stove. I also own a house next door where our 28 year old daughter lives.

I live a very modest lifestyle for an American in my educational/income bracket. I will leave my SUV parked if Al Gore will stop using private jetliners and spreading nonsense.

[edit on 4/2/2007 by TheAvenger]

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 04:00 AM
link   
I agree with you about al gore - just called it carbon footprint so it would be easily recognisable.
It's more to do with our environment and energy efficiency as a whole.....

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Oh, no reflection on your post. I'm not sure who coined that idiotic phrase.

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Yea the term "footprint" implies leaving behind some trace that future archeologsists can dig up and display at a museam and teach with. I dont believe that is the case here. Perhaps a better trm may be:

Individual Envrionmental Impact" or IEI for short.

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 10:38 AM
link   
indeed, IEI is probably a better term...
What I do find interesting, is that not many people are posting on this: are there really so many people like Al Gore, who talk the talk, but won't relinquish their modern conveniences, yet preach about saving the planet - and are they too afraid to list what they have, knowing that they MAY be viewed as hypocrites...
Although as stated - this is not the point of this

hmmm
interesting......

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 01:39 PM
link   
I also find it odd because I am of low income bracket, and I know hat many of the people here on ATS, aside from the teenagers, have college education and usually have well paying professions. I have seen them post it many times before.

I wonder, if I could hook up my computer and my aquarium to some solar array on my roof? I mean sunlight is a plenty here, especially in the drought years.

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 01:50 PM
link   
I'm pretty sure that you could, although the cost may prove prohibitive.

Do you have prevailing winds there? Wind power is cheaper to harness...

posted on Apr, 6 2007 @ 06:01 PM
link   
ok, so are all the eco=warriors scared of getting caught out?
jeez guys - thought you had more balls than that - read some of the others, and find the spirit of the thing - its just to have a look and see what savings we could make.
if you don't want to make savings, cool, just tell what you got
btw we're not burglars, scoping yer pad
lol

posted on Apr, 6 2007 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by budski
ok, so are all the eco=warriors scared of getting caught out?
jeez guys - thought you had more balls than that - read some of the others, and find the spirit of the thing - its just to have a look and see what savings we could make.
if you don't want to make savings, cool, just tell what you got
btw we're not burglars, scoping yer pad
lol

I think I answered a similar thread a while back, it was a questionnaire thing - I came out just below average for the UK, I think.

I do not drive but do use public transport.

We have gas central heating, but only use it when required.

Most bulbs in the house are energy efficient.

I fly maybe once a year on average.

I buy local produce whenever possible.

I recycle what I can, but the local council is pretty naff, and only takes paper currently.

I tend to flush the toilet as little as possible, but do love a bath rather than shower. Likely cancels out. As we pay for the amount of water we use, we do tend to not waste if possible.

My failing is a love for live music torrents, which means this lappy stays on a little too much at times.

The house in which I live could be better insulated I feel, we also don't have double-glazing. But we rent, rather than own - so not much I can do.

Anything else?

posted on Apr, 7 2007 @ 01:26 AM
link   

Rarely fly. Recreational bicycle riding.

Car owners please state model and approx. mpg

2. I drive a pickup truck to work, 23 miles one way. About 15 mpg on summer fuel. About a mpg less on winter fuel. Even less during the winter when I use 4wd. No mass transit and no other coworkers in my area to carpool with.

Wife's car is a Subaru Tribeca. About 22 mpg

Size of abode

Just the two of us (empty nesters) in a 2 story, 2000 sq ft. 5 bedroom house. We would move to a smaller house but this one is paid for and we do not want to start a house mortgage payment again. So we just shut off the upstairs and do not use it much.

Energy efficiency of abode: Above average. Well insulated. Propane central heat, wood stove backup.

Number of electrical appliances (and type) Probably more than average. Home theater system, 3 more TV's around the house, computer, all the usual kitchen appliances. As the appliances wear out and need replacing we buy energy efficient models.

My so-called 'carbon footprint' (a silly meaningless term) is probably larger than most, smaller than Al Gore's, and I don't really care. I do not feel guilty at all about my lifestyle.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join