It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Safe Spots in America?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2007 @ 10:28 AM
link   
What are the safest spots in America in case of a major disaster?

posted on Mar, 26 2007 @ 10:48 AM
link   
What kind of disaster? Depending on what kind of disater there are diferent areas. As a general rule, I find mountainous areas to be safest as they are away from the ocean(tidalwave) generaly dont have faults under them, easy to get away from military bases(prime targets in the case of foreign attacks), easy place to find food in case of long power failers and such. The downfall...generaly hard winters.

posted on Mar, 26 2007 @ 11:57 AM
link   
In my eyes there are a few things that could happen:

- nuclear attack
- earthquake
- tital wave (asteroid / earthquake driven)
- alien invasion

obviously with a nuclear attack, being away from major cities will be important, but what constitutes a major city? I think we are assuming that this would only happen in a major metropolitan area when it could happen really anywhere.. For this eventuality, I'd assume being in the middle of nowhere and near fresh water would be imporant.. lets leave that one be for now.

with an earthquake, it would be important to avoid areas that are prone to such events.. One such area that comes to mind is the state of California. Obviously, this is an area that could be deemed unsafe, but are there others? I'd love to see a map of the fault lines in America and places to generally avoid.. If anyone has this info, please let me know, I'm highly interested.

with a tidal wave, it would make sense to be away from the coast. But how far away? 100 miles? 200? more? I guess that all depends on the earthquake / asteroid that hits, but is there a general rule of thumb as to what is considered a safe distance?

finally, an alien invasion.. I guess it doesnt matter where you are for this because if they invade, its only a matter of time before we are all wiped off the face of the earth. I hate to even mention this one, but hey, im thinking of eventualities for my family.

thanks for participating, i hope we can further this discussion.

posted on Mar, 26 2007 @ 01:47 PM
link   
For a tidal wave, or melting of all arctic/antarctic ice, it would depend on the elevation in your region.

The much of the coastal area along California and Oregon consists of rocky cliffs that are pretty high.

If you lived in, say, New Orleans, Rhode Island, or Connecticut; I'd say you'd have to go pretty darned far.

posted on Mar, 27 2007 @ 12:58 AM
link   
I think Im pretty safe in the mountains of B.C Canda lol

posted on Mar, 27 2007 @ 01:04 AM
link   
Safest spot in the world to be would, in my opinion, be out at sea. If one had a large enough vessel and plenty of stores and fresh water on board. I believe that would be the safest place on earth. Food would be readily available, swimming just below your fee. The only problem i would foresee is pirates, so given that, it would be awesome if you were able to have either some small .50 mounts or a 3" gun on the bow.

posted on Mar, 27 2007 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Man cannot live on fish alone....you would need fruit and vegetables to avoid rickets, or is it scurvey?...

top topics

join