It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Riches await as Earth's icy north melts

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2007 @ 05:21 AM
link   

Riches await as Earth's icy north melts

Norway - Barren and uninhabited, Hans Island is very hard to find on a map. Yet these days the Frisbee-shaped rock in the Arctic is much in demand — so much so that Canada and Denmark have both staked their claim to it with flags and warships.

The reason: an international race for oil, fish, diamonds and shipping routes, accelerated by the impact of global warming on Earth's frozen north.

(visit the link for the full news article)
news.yahoo.com...

[edit on 26-3-2007 by theutahbigfoothunter]

posted on Mar, 26 2007 @ 05:21 AM
link   
Oh well, this is the only semigood news I've heard about the greenhouse effect, (sort of) sad but true.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 26 2007 @ 05:27 AM
link   
Where might be this link you speak of?

Sounds like an interesting story, but would like to read the whole article first before any comment.

posted on Mar, 26 2007 @ 05:36 AM
link   
Oh goodie, a few more square miles of dirt to kill each other for.

Maybe we should just give it to the people who's islands are disappearing under water? Or how about we give it to the Israeli's to live on and solve the whole middle east problem instantly. No? Maybe the Palestinians would want it then?

Nah.. I'm just kidding. Let's strip mine it, pump out all the oil and build a military base on the toxic slag piles that are left.

posted on Mar, 27 2007 @ 08:35 AM
link   
I'm Norwegian, and I haven't heard of this story. But anyways, I doubt that the Norwegian government would idly stand by and allow Sweden and Denmark to take Hans Island if it indeed belongs to us. (Norwegians.)

The Norwegian government is very stingy on these matters.

posted on Mar, 27 2007 @ 08:47 AM
link   
There will be no world war started over this in the immediate future, however, all bets are off after 2012 and the resulting alien invasion.

(kidding)

This is indeed an interesting story and is bound to become a bigger issue as the effects of global warming continue.

Here are a couple of backgrounder stories to add to this thread;

www.cbc.ca...
www.canadiangeographic.ca...

new topics

top topics

join