It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

British PM warns Iranians only have a few days

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2007 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23

Originally posted by brill
The assumption is that China play along with this.

No the assumption is that China will come down on Iran because they can't do diddly squat in terms of stopping the US/UK from carrying out this operation. We know full well they would not like it, thing is we don't like having our troops captured either.

Doubtful China will back down, they need oil just like others. Forcing them to pursue other options considering their investments and long term strategy is really not conducive. China should not be brushed off so quickly is all I'm saying, they have a voice too.

brill

posted on Mar, 26 2007 @ 10:00 AM
link   
www.playfuls.com...

"Iran will grant British diplomats access to the 15 British detainees in Tehran after the end of investigations, the website of state-television IRIB quoted Monday Iranian Foreign Minister Manouchehr Mottaki as saying."

posted on Mar, 26 2007 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Iran will grant British diplomats access to the 15 British detainees in Tehran after the end of investigations

That means Iran is planning to charge them if we are only allowed to see them after the investigation in Tehran. They ain't coming home.

British media hasn't picked up on this yet

posted on Mar, 26 2007 @ 10:06 AM
link   
If Iran is telling the truth (about them being Iranian waters), then no, i very uch doubt they will be coming home...unless they broker a deal for the 5 Iranian diplomats being held by the US.

posted on Mar, 26 2007 @ 10:09 AM
link   
this whole thing reminds me of my favorite Bond movie, "Tomorrow Never Dies"..

en.wikipedia.org...

amirite?

posted on Mar, 26 2007 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by shrunkensimon
If Iran is telling the truth (about them being Iranian waters), then no, i very uch doubt they will be coming home...unless they broker a deal for the 5 Iranian diplomats being held by the US.

No deal involving the Iranian diplomats. Its got nothing to do with the British.

posted on Mar, 26 2007 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by xpert11
The EU and other nations need to apply real political pressure to Iran. The best way would be for the likes of France to dispatch warships to the region. Even if smaller countries sent troops that would take part in a non combatant role in any conflict with Iran it would all be a part of the show of unity and mounting political pressure.

Iran mustn't be allowed to continue making the plays as this situation continues to unfold.

[edit on 26-3-2007 by xpert11]

The French already have a Carrier Battle Group in the region. It's aircraft are involved in Afghanistan at the moment.

posted on Mar, 26 2007 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Plus the EU has a large force in Lebanon,

German navy is around that area too.

posted on Mar, 26 2007 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite

Iran will grant British diplomats access to the 15 British detainees in Tehran after the end of investigations

That means Iran is planning to charge them if we are only allowed to see them after the investigation in Tehran. They ain't coming home.

British media hasn't picked up on this yet

that's what i was thinking. by which time they could have been given the death sentence.

all the media seems to be concerned about at the minute is the use of the word interrogation .

posted on Mar, 26 2007 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by tombangelta
all the media seems to be concerned about at the minute is the use of the word interrogation .

Ah,
you mean "interrogation"? we do not know what is going on, especially since the regime is now a bunch of hardliners.

posted on Mar, 26 2007 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Doubtful China will back down, they need oil just like others.

I never said they have to "back down" from anything, just that they will put a LOT of pressure on Iran to release the people in question so that the US/UK stop the blockade (if that is indeed what we choose to do). Which is the easier and more logical choice for China (one of Iran's biggest costumers, supporters and I'm sure suppliers as well)? Use it's influence to make Iran comply so that its energy needs are not affected or force the US/UK into stopping the blocked without a deal from Iran...?

posted on Mar, 26 2007 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23

Doubtful China will back down, they need oil just like others.

I never said they have to "back down" from anything, just that they will put a LOT of pressure on Iran to release the people in question so that the US/UK stop the blockade (if that is indeed what we choose to do). Which is the easier and more logical choice for China (one of Iran's biggest costumers, supporters and I'm sure suppliers as well)? Use it's influence to make Iran comply so that its energy needs are not affected or force the US/UK into stopping the blocked without a deal from Iran...?

I never implied you said anything
your free to interpret what you like I don't care. China will do what's best for China not the US or UK simple as that. What action they take on these assumptions is anyones guess but they will get their precious oil.

brill

posted on Mar, 26 2007 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by thematrix

Problem is, they were captured in waters that have been disputed for like EVER.
Iraq calls it their territory, Iran calls it theirs, it simply depends on who's side your on when you call the troops being in Iraqi waters.

Troops have been seized in the very same situation before, where they were in some of these disputed territories.

good points,
a logical progression might be creating a UN or AngloAmerican
no-fly-zone or DMZ de-militarized-zone along the Iran-Iraq border

if one remembers last summer, the Lebanon War of 31 days
was sparked by the capture of IDF personnel by Hezbollah militia

in this case the coalition troops were captured by RevolutionaryGuard
of Iran, who are almost an autonomous force, seperate from gov't control
...being loyal to their Supreme Leader mostly,
IOW, the Iran political body can divorce itself from the situation
& put the blame on the RevolutionaryGuard and leave the west
in a perplexing position....
[It's a fine mess you've gotten us into this time, Ollie]

posted on Mar, 26 2007 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by gottago
... which the US Navy itself has admitted it is defenseless against.
[edit on 26-3-2007 by gottago]

Not so fast my friend... meet SeaRAM...

www.raytheon.com...

The SeaRAM Anti-Ship Missile Defense System provides the highest level of ship self-defense with extended keep-out range capability

The SeaRAM Anti-Ship Missile Defense System is a spiral development of key attributes of both Phalanx CIWS and the Rolling Airframe Missile (RAM) Guided Weapon System. SeaRAM is designed to extend the inner layer battle space and enable the ship to effectively engage multiple high-performance, supersonic, and subsonic threats.

An 11-missile RAM launcher assembly replaces Phalanx's 20 mm gun. SeaRAM combines RAM's superior accuracy, extended range, and high maneuverability with the Phalanx Block 1B's high resolution search-and-track sensor systems and reliable quick-response capability.

SeaRAM is an affordable capability upgrade -- the above-deck system fits the exact footprint of the Phalanx, uses the same power, and requires minimal shipboard modification.

The assumption is being made also that all other countermeasures will fail (decoys, jamming, etc)... these missiles have been around for years and I doubt we cannot subvert them UNLESS there is a massive simultaneous launching from Iran and others (Syria, Leb...)

[edit on 26-3-2007 by Pootie]

posted on Mar, 26 2007 @ 11:04 AM
link   
what i don't understand is why are the Iranian's so defiant.

do they have anything to back up this attitude?

or are they just playing the waiting game , and will eventually back down.

Oh and im talking about there nuclear program and the detention of our troops

[edit on 26-3-2007 by tombangelta]

posted on Mar, 26 2007 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Iran warns the US but not the UK against any military assault, again.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

The thing that strikes me odd is no warning to the UK.

“Our people will not even allow one American soldier to enter our country,” Saffari said.

That is silly. That sounds like "There are no American forces in Baghdad."

Hopefully it doesn't become Deja Vu.

posted on Mar, 26 2007 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by MikeboydUS
Iran warns the US but not the UK against any military assault, again.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

The thing that strikes me odd is no warning to the UK.

“Our people will not even allow one American soldier to enter our country,” Saffari said.

That is silly. That sounds like "There are no American forces in Baghdad."

Hopefully it doesn't become Deja Vu.

Iran feels that the UK will not strike I believe.
And I feel too that Iran would fear a UK/EU strike than America.

posted on Mar, 26 2007 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by untilted
interesting to me is that no one here seems to remember that westerners abducted Iranian citizens in the first place...

how easilly you are manipulated...

tsk, tsk

citizens?you mean the terrorist supporters from the phony"diplomatic mission"with no diplomatic immunity who's mission was to supply iraqi terrorists with iranian weapons?

posted on Mar, 26 2007 @ 11:23 AM
link   
You can bet your bottom dollar that Britain would only take military action against Iran after all other options have been exhausted. They would also only do this with the support of the UN in the form of a security council resolution.

The Iranians probably already know this is the route the Brits will go, with potential military action only coming after a protracted diplomatic effort. They can use that time for their own propaganda purposes at home, finally handing over the personnel right before any deadline is due to expire.

It's a dangerous game they are playing, IMHO.

WRT the Rules of Engagement, the British servicemen and woman acted in strict accordance to those rules as explained by Commodore Nick Lambert aboard the HMS Cornwall.

Cheers,
Zep

posted on Mar, 26 2007 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zep Tepi
You can bet your bottom dollar that Britain would only take military action against Iran after all other options have been exhausted. They would also only do this with the support of the UN in the form of a security council resolution.

No UN resolution.

If they're put on trial, expect action. The UN will justify it, America will probably provide support at the UN by using its veto.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join