It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

9/11 Did We Lose Freedoms?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Are we safer? Are we weaker? Would you say that we as citizens have less rights or more rights?

What exactly where the rights we lost?

Does this mean the terrorist really won? (If you follow the official story)

Just curious as to what some of you think..

I personally think that, in the area of privacy we have lost a ton of rights.. and the government has trampled on our basic need and wants of privacy, typically for their own good.
I have no idea why mr. Bush is so intent on hearing phone calls and irrelivent searches of bank data and illegal warrents.. but I do believe that with out 9/11 as a direct cause, it would no have been stood for.

So, what rights where lost to you because of 9/11 and the events after?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Edited title spelling

[edit on 22/3/07 by masqua]

posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 09:46 PM
link   
None. I feel the fact that we can post on a site like his is a prime example that we are allowed to have a voice.

We are not weaker, but we are again becoming complacent. The US has lost its sense of direction and the government is not really needed anymore. We are large enough now that states should regualte everything themselves. There is no need for a Federal gov't. it is nothing but pork, and it is growing to big.

The terrorsts have won by the fact that there are people in America who think the their government was behind 9/11. Every person who is for the demo theory/holos'/truth is allowing the hate of ones own government to spread. It is not there to hate, it is there to change, and as citizens that is what we must do, in our local communitites. You cannot impeach a president, but you can ensure your children have good shcools. Who cares what Halliburton makes this fiscal qtr, you have your own mortgage to worry about. I mean, If it does hit the fan and ther eare dirty bomb attacks or WMD strikes, do you think FEMA is going to be there for you?

I do not feel like I have lost any rights since 9/11, but at the same time, I do not think we have done enough to protect ourselves in America.

posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 09:51 PM
link   
I guess directly..I have to go to the airport earlier, and take off my shoes, sometimes get searched more "throughly." I can't meet loved ones right at the end of the Plane's exit ramp, now I have to wait beyond the baggage claim.

Other than that..I can't take an umberella into a football game.

I haven't really been personally affected adversely from anything in the Patriot Act. I have heard stories of some who have though..I feel the legislation is in need of review and revision.

I CAN see where the Patriot Act is trying to correct the severe problem of departmentalized communication failures. Failures that have been rampant in the federal govenment well before, and straight through the 9/11 attacks.

posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by esdad71
The US has lost its sense of direction and the government is not really needed anymore.

I agree why do we have a government anyway?

They don't do a damn thing for us, except keep us entertained. Our leaders are like a bunch of retarded clowns smoking crack in front of the quik-e-mart. I'm sure that we could just import some new clowns directly from China, who would do the job for 1/4 the price, to replace these ones that we got now.

[edit on 22-3-2007 by In nothing we trust]

posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Did we lose some freedom that we enjoyed before 9/11?
Yes imo we did, first of all there is what is called the Patriot Act. Funny how they named that so anyone that voted against it would be seen as unamerican or unpatriotic.

posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 10:26 PM
link   
I agree with much of what you say esdad. The Federal government in my opinion is serving its self, an entity, and not the members of the union any more.. you could relate it to the UN serving the UN instead of the collective good of the world.

However, Innothingwetrust, while I don't like the federal government, even if it where disbanded and the states governed them selves, the state government would take the place of the national, being, it will be your new national government.

posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
... the state government would take the place of the national, being, it will be your new national government.

I guess I should get to know my captors, huh.

posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Haha.. I guess.

There is no escaping government.. without someone will just take you over or the uncontroled people self destruct.

Oppressive governments should be despised. There are good governments, as good as they get.. but to think our government is the same as it was when it was founded is a joke..

"All democracies end in tyranny"

I forget who said that. But it is the ideology I live by.

posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 10:45 PM
link   
Does anyone else see the Union fracturing into several smaller regional states once the federal government completely fails?

posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 10:51 PM
link   
If it broke I could see the Northern states break off starting as west as Ohio or PA. The Midwest and the plains states.. the southern states, Cali and the four corner states, WA, OR and a few other north western states..

If we actually did loose the federal governemnt all out war would break out eventually over petty arguments and a rush to become the head dog. Eventually alliances would be formed and more then likely they would become single nations.

If that happend though, many would wish they had the slightly more oppressive government they once had back, some wouldn't care as they would be dead.

posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 10:57 PM
link   
I dont live in the US, so i cant comment on day to day life.. but from what I gather no ones been that affected.

the only thing that would bother me, is the fact that if im having a private phone call with my wife... well..... how private is it ?
Is that knock at the door a friend for me to invite in... or feds... demanding i move aside as they poke around.
Is that spam on my PC just a result from my surfing.. or someone watching my keystrokes?
If I type the word 'JIHAD' will I be flagged?

posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 11:49 PM
link   
I am not against monitoring, but I am against censorship. Yes, you will see a fractured US based on religion and race. It is not going to be pretty.

posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 11:54 PM
link   

I am not against monitoring, but I am against censorship. Yes, you will see a fractured US based on religion and race. It is not going to be pretty.

Kind of like Iraq, with ethnic cleansing and such. Iraq is the test case to see what would happen to the US in a central government meltdown.

Except that Christians are nicer people than muslems?

[edit on 23-3-2007 by In nothing we trust]

posted on Mar, 23 2007 @ 12:11 AM
link   
I don't think it is a lose of freedoms that has affected the citizens of the US, but rather a loss of security!!! 9-11 is what the build their fear campaign on!! Now we have a color code system that tells us how we should feel, and when we should be affraid!!!!!! It is the loss of security, that our government is using to control us!!!!!

The role of the government should be to protect their citizens from fear, and not to instill fear upon the public!!!!!

posted on Mar, 23 2007 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vinadetta
I don't think it is a lose of freedoms that has affected the citizens of the US, but rather a loss of security!!!

Oh no, don't worry we have the dept of Homeland security to keep the rich and thier assets safe from it's insecure citizens.

[edit on 23-3-2007 by In nothing we trust]

posted on Mar, 23 2007 @ 01:29 PM
link   
We are at a crossroads we can either free ourselves or end up waiting to march down Pennslyvannia avenue in a "V for Vendendeta II".

Its starting off small with gun control, certain shirts which are against the law, arresting citizens under the "Patriot" act and holding them without trial, indefinitely.

Stand up and be counted unless you want to have to worry that some day you will disappear because you made fun of the president.

posted on Mar, 23 2007 @ 01:52 PM
link   
I can certainly see how American's are too blind to see the affects on our collective rights post 9/11.

The Patriot Act ,on the shelf for years, was implemented within days of 9/11 in the wee hours of the morning and 90% of those that voted never read on word of it.
You or I can now be labeled a terrorist or enemy combatant at any official's whim and be arrested and held indefinitely without due process.
We now take people to foreign lands to be tortured. We're still rather touchy when it comes to applying electrodes to testicles in this country.
We now screen and wand infants to old ladies in airports, cause you never know when an 80 year old woman from Vermont might get all cracked out and decide to board a plan with a shoulder mount rocket.

So , for those of you who still don't see IT yet....keep watching Idol and Entertainment Tonight....nothing to see here ...move along!

posted on Mar, 27 2007 @ 12:50 AM
link   
The patriot act is complicated..

It helped the law enforcement agencies communicate much better.. better for civilian protection AND better for national security..

HOWEVER so much crap is in the act, much of which hurts our basic civil rights..

The government likes to add 50 bills into one bill often not even related to one another.. and such a big bill was written incredibly fast.. and passed with no contest.. even from our "for the peoples rights" liberals..
I guess it was good to support it back then or something, right?

posted on Mar, 27 2007 @ 10:21 AM
link   

None. I feel the fact that we can post on a site like his is a prime example that we are allowed to have a voice.

I think he asked if there was a change. Not if you can still post messages on the Internet.

The question isn't hard. PATRIOT was rammed through because of September 11th. Of course we lost freedoms. Just read the freaking thinng.

It was even worse for foreigners, because some hundreds of thousands of them (innocent ones) are now dead. I know they're the "bad guys" and we don't count them, but they didn't do anything and they've certainly lost something because of Sept. 11.

posted on Mar, 27 2007 @ 11:01 AM
link   
I've got a feeling with the media touching up all this chip crap, often depicted exerted from a hypo-looking device; and the advent of WiMax (a wireless protocol that encompasses large areas), we may be looking at people looking back at "a bunch of dots". Heaven help the offers of multi-housing visits.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join