It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Proof that Christmas has nothing to do with Christ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2003 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Well it was inevitable but a very interesting story nonetheless.

People that delve into the history both good and bad surrounding the catholic church have suspected this for years, that christmas is really a pagan celebration that was foisted upon christ.

Many people believe that christ was not even born in December in the first place.

Here is a link and so info, is it true? What do you think? Yeah I know it is at Rense but ...

www.rense.com...

So is christmas really the celebration of the building of the statue the colossus at Rhodes?

Does it matter the origins of this holiday as long as you have the right intent in your heart and or just make the best of it? I think so but we do have a right to know the history of this event.

www.rense.com...

posted on Dec, 24 2003 @ 02:06 PM
link   
i think even tho the begginings might be shady now it is truly celebrating the birth of christ.

posted on Dec, 24 2003 @ 02:10 PM
link   
No offense, but this is a very old concept most people already have discussed quite a bit. The pagan celebrations of the Winter Solstice before Jesus ever appeared had much of what we celebrate. Gifts, food, decorations, etc. were all done to celebrate the return of the sun as the amount of daylight began to increase after solstice.

posted on Dec, 24 2003 @ 02:15 PM
link   
It wasn't until 354AD that Rome ordered Christ's birthday to be celebrated on the 25th.
It is widely acknowledged that the date was chosen by the Romans prior to this time to celebrate the birth of Mithras.

www.didyouknow.cd...

The date ties in with many pagan festivals and would have been pleasing to other beliefs, maybe cementing Christianity's place as a major religion.
I don't believe that the Colossus of Rhodes had anything to do with choosing the date. It was also the day of the Roman Winter Solstice. If anything, the building of the Colossus might have been timed to match it and not vice versa.

But I agree with Quicksiilver. It doesn't really matter what day Jesus was born on. We will probably never know the exact date and it's better to celebrate his birthday with one date rather than none at all.

posted on Dec, 24 2003 @ 02:17 PM
link   
yes, Jesus is just a sun god myth that's been continued over so many thousands of years and somehow came to be Jesus. if jesus really was a hebrew son of god, wouldn't he be called Yeshoshua in the bible and yet people call him jesus, which is his greek name? If you read The Christ Conspiracy, Bible Myths, and related books you'll find the truth behind it. It's amazing how there's so many christ figures in history but the jesus one somehow fell through the cracks and became a worldwide religion for almost 2000 years.

posted on Dec, 24 2003 @ 02:37 PM
link   
just another example of the Roman Catholic "Empire" forcing its beliefs upon everyone.

top topics

join