It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

British Council increases focus on Muslim countries

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2007 @ 08:11 PM
link   

British Council increases focus on Muslim countries

Source Link: www.abs-cbnnews.com

LONDON (AFP) - The British Council, the state-funded body that promotes British culture overseas, will close half of its European offices in the coming year in favor of a more prominent presence in the Middle East and Central Asia, The Times reported in an early edition of its Monday newspaper.

Martin Davidson, the organization's Director-General designate, told the daily that there is a "gap in trust that is becoming increasingly well-documented between Britain and the Muslim world."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 25 2007 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Hummmmmm Am I the only one to think it's a strange decision? Shouldnt they be doing the exact opposite?

I'd be promoting British Culture to their Home Muslims

posted on Feb, 25 2007 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Surely promoting cultural understanding between people can only be a good thing. On a more cynical note - I guess with the 'fall from grace' of America in the moslem world, British English will possibly become a more popular choice as opposed to American English.

I based that comment as a Cultural Imperalist aka English Teacher. I have noticed over the last few years that students are much more receptive to learning British English, where once they all wanted to emulate the Midwest/Standard American English. It's all good for me - speaking British English.

new topics

join