It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Smart Cameras That Detect Suspicious Behavior

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2007 @ 07:33 PM
link   

New Smart Cameras That Detect Suspicious Behavior

Source Link: www.foxnews.com

Look around — You might not be the only one watching. The never-blinking surveillance cameras, rapidly becoming a part of daily life in public and even private places, may be sizing you up as well. And they may soon get a lot smarter.

Researchers and security companies are developing cameras that not only watch the world but also interpret what they see. Soon, some cameras may be able to find unattended bags at airports, guess your height or analyze the way you walk to see if you are hiding something.

Most of the cameras widely used today are used as forensic tools to identify crooks after-the-fact. (Think grainy video on local TV news of convenience store robberies gone wrong.) But the latest breed, known as "intelligent video," could transform cameras from passive observers to eyes with brains, able to detect suspicious behavior and potentially prevent crime before it occurs.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 25 2007 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Big Brother is watching us! Another tool to deal with those of us who are selected as victims by the powers that be, or just randomly. Invasion of privacy.

[edit on 25-2-2007 by TheAvenger]

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 05:40 AM
link   
I cant help but see potential problems stemming from this kind of technical advancement, such as people with physical abnormalities being targeted, how can a machine know why a person is walking funny due to an injury or malady of some kind. I wonder if it would target ethnic differences?

[edit on 26-2-2007 by the_sentinal]

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 05:43 AM
link   
Wow, one more step toward an orwellian police state. I also have the same question, how does the computer determine "suspicious" activity. It's gonna take more research before implentation. Hell I hope I don't get arrested in the future for tying my shoe too close to a gas pump.

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 06:28 AM
link   
I'm thinking that at some point in the near future, people will also start wearing cameras for their own protection. I wonder how that would change everyone's behavior.

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by annestacey
I'm thinking that at some point in the near future, people will also start wearing cameras for their own protection. I wonder how that would change everyone's behavior.

Not a bad idea as far as personal protection goes although I'm not sure what good it would do if you get killed, other then possibly identify an attacker.

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 07:19 PM
link   
I cant wait to fake being suspicious just to piss them off.

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Sheesh. Guess I'll have to be extra careful where and when I pick my nose or scratch my arse.

I see a huge potential for abuse here by a malevolent government.

top topics

join