It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aware of Something ...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2007 @ 07:50 PM
link   
I've avoided asking this question for a long time as I'm not crazy or anything, and don't want considering as such. Hopefully I can get some serious answers here.

For a long time (decades) I've been aware of *something* in the house, watching me. It is most noticable at night, and peaks between midnight and anywhere up to 4AM. During the day I'm aware it is there, but I'm not bothered by ot.

Being a scientific guy by nature, I put it down to the fact that I work long hours, and at 2AM I'm sometimes very tired, and sometimes fighting myself to stay awake.

I've done some research in the past, and put it down to the very earthly explanation of simply lacking sleep and the brain being between two states (awake and asleep).

That was until one night last year.........

It started at just before 1AM. I was in my study working on a report, when I heard a loud bang of a door closing (like it had been slammed). EArlier that evening I'd walked past it several times, with the very strong sense that something was looking at me from it. I knew it was slightly open, but didn't dare to touch it (I just hoped it didn't move). After hearing the bang, and knowing what it was, I sat frozen in my study for TWO HOURS and couldn't get myself to look. It was so bad I nearly called my neighbor (at 2AM!) to help calm me down again.

Eventually I did get the courage to look, and I wish I never did. It was fully closed.

In addition to that one night, I'm aware on some nights (not all), of there being a presence in a very specific part of the house. IT is like it fills a bit of the room but doesn't move. On those nights I can't even look anywhere close to that part of the house in case I see it. I don't know why it is there or what it is, but I always get this impression of just blackness (if I was to see it).

I'm also aware of something behind me some nights and watching me, but when I turn to look, there is nothing there. Interestingly, it feels to be in the direction of where the main presence seems to be coming from.

I'm a very rational person. This is freaking me out.

I know there is something there; it communicates with me when something VERY bad is going to happen. It happens up to several weeks before, but when it does, I know something is going to happen, but I don't know what. The first time it happened was just before my Dad died. The second time was when my Grandfather died (at the exact same time he died - he was in hospital, I was 40 miles away. I pre-empted the hospital calling). The third time was just before I was nearly killed in a car crash. Before each event, I was "visited". In a very weird way, I see that as a good thing, but I hope my posting here doesn't cause it to stop or disappear before I've had a chance to understand it, or worse, for it to become hostile.

What is this? Is this local to where I live? (I only feel this particular presence when I'm at home).

I'm sensitive to these things I think as I can tell if there is something there when I'm elsewhere. People talk of visiting haunted places; I know if they're really telling the truth or not because I can tell, but I keep it quiet.

Any (founded) thoughts would be most welcome, rational or supernatural.

posted on Feb, 24 2007 @ 08:07 PM
link   
I'd like to add that I've heard that digital cameras can pick up things that are there? I was thinking of going outside the house one night when I feel it, and in the pitch black take long exposure photos to see if anything comes up?

Is there anyone who deals with Paranormal investigations who could advise on the types of equipment I could use to capture images of anything that might be there?

The only photo I ever took pointing in the direction of where I feel it is was of a person, but the person was weird and fuzzy whilst the rest of the house interior wasn't blurred (it was early evening when it was taken). I don't remember suffering from camera shake when I took the photo and it was the only one of the lot that looked anything like it. As it was only one photo thougth, I consider that "inconclusive".

[edit on 24-2-2007 by mirageofdeceit]

posted on Feb, 24 2007 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Interesting story.

A really good, cheap, easy way to set up surveillance is a web cam. Clean some hard drive space, would have to be a fair few gigabytes, and set up a web cam to record overnight. Point it at the location you feel this presence is and use windows movie maker to record it, then save it in the morning and watch it in fast-forward for any anomalies.

Another really good technique is to use the night shot setting on a digital camera or camcorder. Night shot has been known to pick up objects that the naked eye cannot see, somewhat like thermal imaging.

Let us know how you do

[edit on 24-2-2007 by fooffstarr]

posted on Feb, 24 2007 @ 08:48 PM
link   
My camera doesn't have a night mode on it. With it being digital, would it pick anything up anyway?

I'd already considered the webcam thing, but my computer is in the wrong part of the house.

posted on Feb, 24 2007 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Just takes some photos with the camera on normal anyway, just to see what comes out.

As far as the webcam thing goes... if you are really worried, just move the computer for an overnight trip.

posted on Feb, 24 2007 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Do you experience any temperature changes, such as the room getting colder when you feel this presence?

How were you communicated to when these people in your life died?

What part of the world do you live in? Some areas, more than others, tend to have more activity such as that you described.

Don't take these questions as me trying to disprove your claims, I simply want more information

posted on Feb, 24 2007 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Between midnight and 3 is usually referred to as "witching hour." I know exactly what you are talking about. I've felt it too. I hate being the last one awake in my house and having to go all the way from the basement to my room upstairs in pitch black, and then sit there in the dark trying to get to sleep with lots of random noises. I usually hear scratching/scurrying noises in the ceiling, the wall directly beside my bed, and outside the window. I think it is mice and/or bats, because if you listen close enough it sounds like little feet. At least I HOPE that's what it is. Although my house was built in 1990 so it's not like it's all that old or anything.

When your door slammed, did you remember having windows open in one of the rooms the door connected? (Was it summer?) You likely wouldn't normally have considered it, but air pressure and wind can be a pretty strong force, even inside a house. In the summer, stuff usually happens if I have my window cracked open too far and it's windy out. My calendar will blow off the wall, papers and light objects will blow off my desk, and yes, the door will slam. All it has to do is be slightly cracked, and the wind will catch a gust behind it and push it.

If you are attemping to photograph the supposed entity, you have to be really careful, especially with digital cameras. And ESPECIALLY if you are using a flash. A flash will generally make lots of random stuff show up in the air. "Orbs", ie dust particles, and stuff like that. What you are looking to find in a picture is something very obviously not right, such as weird shadows, smoke, (distinct) faces, especially in mirrors in the room. If there are orbs, they have to be very weird or coloured for you to not discredit them immediately.

posted on Feb, 24 2007 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by iceofspades
Do you experience any temperature changes, such as the room getting colder when you feel this presence?

Like drafts (in terms of rate of change)? Not that I'm aware of.

How were you communicated to when these people in your life died?

I don't communicate with them per se, more like I feel something, but I try and block it out as it feels just like it does when I feel it in the house, only eventually it comes through as an image, but there is an intense fear with it. It lasts probably only a few seconds, then goes, then a feeling of relief. It is quite distressing when it happens, but it ONLY occurs when something bad happens. It is quite different to just being aware of something there. I think the two are related though.

What part of the world do you live in? Some areas, more than others, tend to have more activity such as that you described.

Western Europe is all I'm prepared to say. Hope it is close enough.

Don't take these questions as me trying to disprove your claims, I simply want more information

No problem.
I appreciate to anyone else it probably seems "way out there", but as I said, I'm very rational, and I've already examined other causes. It was the events of last year that changed it substantially.

Interestingly, research is going on regarding close relatives knowing other family members have died, but in that research, it always occurred at the time of death. In my case it is sometimes weeks before the event, sometimes days. The point is, it is BEFORE the event. I don't know when the event will occur though, or how. It is like a generic "something bad will occur in the future". 3 out of 3. I think I've established a pattern at least.

posted on Feb, 24 2007 @ 10:34 PM
link   
When I was a child and young man with my parents, who live in the countryside, I would often feel a sense of dread and feel a malevolent presence if I ventured outside on dark nights.

Sometimes the feeling was so strong I would bolt back to the house. The house itself also played tricks on my eyes at night, the way shadows would fall - I'd often awaken and think there was someone or something near me.

I've only really had that sense there. Maybe I just grew up?..

posted on Feb, 24 2007 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Personally I believe that there are entities everywhere. I'm able to use a pendulum and communicate with them. Any type of necklace or weighted down string would work, just ask a question and it will start to spin. Kind of freaked me out at first, but was able to discover that there's about a dozen spirits in my house. I've never been able to see them but have felt temperature variations and it freaks my wife out when the dogs start barking and looking at something that isn't there.

posted on Feb, 25 2007 @ 01:01 AM
link   
I kind of know what you mean, always around that time I cant but feel my every move is watched by something, whether it be human or paranormal. However, maybe these strange happenings are the cause, and I dont want to sound like some median or whatever, surge of energy throughout your house. Was it previously owned? Is there any history of deaths in the house?

posted on Feb, 25 2007 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Not that I'm aware of. The house was custom built, and I've owned it since new. AFAIK nothing bad happened on the site, either.

Would it be bad to attempt contact? If not, how could I do it?

I know that further down the road there is a wooded area (only small) that has been there for centuries; I get weird feelings off that at night, and won't go near it. There is also a small cemetery about 1/4 mile in the other direction, away from the forest that must be about 100 years old. The forest is 1/2 mile from me, the cemetery is 1/4 mile. There is a second cemetery 1/4 in the other direction (the three form a L shape if that makes sense, and I'm in between the two cemeteries) that is older; about 150 years old.

I had even considered it being a strange response to my monitor as it was quite an old CRT to which I sat quite close (2 to 3ft away), and thought possibly it was emitting EM waves that were causing these effects, but I've since changed to an LCD display out-ruling that as a possibility I would have thought.

[edit on 25-2-2007 by mirageofdeceit]

posted on Feb, 25 2007 @ 08:03 PM
link   
I often too feel the scence of being watched. I have felt it nearly every day of my life that i can remember.

one strange thing that sticks out alot was when i used to go outside and smoke there would be strange movements in the bushes and something like little BB's or light small gravvel would hit in all sorts of areas around me like against the wall or the door i was standing near. These BB's never hit me but i could tell that they were directed at me and I felt that it was some form of communication wheather just to get my attention or to intimidate me im not sure which one...maybe it was just to see if they could spook me..lol.

posted on Feb, 25 2007 @ 08:38 PM
link   
The strange thing with this is that it generally doesn't seem to move. If I'm near it, and it is "around" then it tends to be always within the same area, give or take a few feet. I can be several yards away, but when I feel it, I'm always looking back at the same place.

I don't think this is anything psychological and me simply making an association.

I confirmed a couple of years ago with someone who felt "things" in a particular building. We'd both felt these things separately, at different times, and had never discussed it, for years. Neither of us even thought the other might have thought what we were thinking, until I asked them one day about the possibility, and they confirmed what I felt. I gave enough info for them to know what I meant, but I didn't say where (obviously, anyone can agree to anything) but the fact they confirmed the same location as I had, confirmed for sure that there had to be something there (there was no reason for us to otherwise think the thing we were thinking, never mind in the same location).

posted on Feb, 25 2007 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Hmm... in a weird way it reminds me of the
mothman.
that aside, i think i know exactly how you feel, anywhere outside of my room, (and also my closet) terrify me at night, when i use to stay up late on my PC in a darkened room i always felt eyes upon me from the closet behind me. I could even hear 'it' step around from time to time behind me, and even if i wanted i couldnt turn around. while im in my room, with my door closed, i can hear 'it' pace my hallway slowly (my house is 100ish years old so it creaks when you walk about). This for me was an everyday event though.

Lately i cant hear it. i dont know if its because im too tired half the time, or because my minds to busy to listen that hard.

Do you have friends dabbling with magick, telepathy or astral projection? A friend of mine was and he cause part of my problem

Would it be bad to attempt contact? If not, how could I do it?

Well, while some here will tell you that spirits could never hurt you, i personally believe that there is always some danger in comunicating with unearthly things, but i know i would do it anyway, this thing seems to either watch out for you, or spectating your downfalls (if that makes sense)

What i suggest if you intend to contact it is this: (if you live alone) if you have a really good friend who honestly understands how you feel, ask them to stay the night with you, i know i feel so much more couragious when with others. I (being a simplistic person) would suggest just lookin at the direction, and talk. Also i would research forms of protection ie magick shields.

Also, bare in mind that, once you know what this thing looks like, or sounds like, yours going to have to live with that, it may not go away, will you be able to keep it together, knowing whats right behind your shoulder isnt too friendly lookin?

Hope that helps in some way

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 12:27 AM
link   
This is one of the creepiest things I've ever read. I feel sorry for you, I would be terrified in your situation. I do hope its something that can be explained logically. Unfortunately ghosts are not my forte as they scare the living daylights out of me (I've never seen one but they creep me out in general.)

The idea of ghosts creep me out since most of the time I'm down in my basement on my computer (like right now). So reading this makes me uneasy.

But I wish you could luck personally I would have moved out already.

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 01:17 AM
link   
Mirage, How greatly is this situation disturbing you? How great is your unease, on a scale of 1 to 10 ?

Even though your sense of fear/dread may occur strongly only once every (say) 6 weeks, do you still suffer mild apprehension up to 50% of the time you spend in the house?

Or are you able to forget about the situation for long periods of time?

Are you comfortable wandering around the house at night with only one or two lights on? Do you ever make your way through the house without bothering to put on any lights? Would you be able to do that?

Are you at all uncomfortable going to bed? Do you fall asleep easily? Do you awaken at night feeling apprehensive? Were you always slightly nervous (as a child for instance) in the dark or when alone in a house?

If all the lights suddenly went out at night (e.g., nearby lightning-strike, local power failure) how would you cope? Would you light a candle or switch on a torch and continue about your business? Would you decide to have an early night? Or would you make a dash for your car and head for a friend's place?

Do you look forward to going home or do you find reasons to delay leaving work? Do you invite others to your home when you'd actually rather be home alone? Do you enjoy being home alone and regard it as your favourite, secure retreat?

Are there occasions when at home when you feel particularly vulnerable? If so, have these occasions (e.g. taking a shower) always been slightly problematic for you, since childhood or since a specific event?

When you drive up to your house, what 'feeling' do you experience? How would you describe the house's 'atmosphere' from the outside? Has the house always appeared the same to you? Is there any way, in your opinion, that the house seems to have changed, even subtly? If so, are there reasonable explanations for same (for instance, trees maturing and obscuring it).

How about when you walk into the house: does it feel 'good', 'neutral', or 'occupied'.

Is there any change in your mood after you enter the house?

Do you find yourself putting on the stereo or tv the moment you walk in?

Was there a time when the house felt really 'good'?

Can you recall anyone else making a remark about a 'feeling' in the house? Do people enjoy being in the house or staying for weekends, etc?

If you were able to do so, would you move from your house?

I'll probably think of some other things I could have asked, the minute after I've posted this ... but it's a start.

Try to jot down an answer straight away, without analysing or second-guessing yourself.

The answers are all there, in your mind.

Then, let's see what we can make of this situation :-)

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 07:18 PM
link   
I'm an analytical person by design, so being impartial (even whilst reading your post) is difficult.

Originally posted by Dock6
Mirage, How greatly is this situation disturbing you? How great is your unease, on a scale of 1 to 10 ?

When it IS bothering me, about 6.

Even though your sense of fear/dread may occur strongly only once every (say) 6 weeks, do you still suffer mild apprehension up to 50% of the time you spend in the house?

Not really!

Or are you able to forget about the situation for long periods of time?

This is the weird part. I might totally forget it, but then it'll hit me like a freight train and I'll suddenly be aware of something. Before that, I could be as I am now, typing away on the computer working.

Are you comfortable wandering around the house at night with only one or two lights on? Do you ever make your way through the house without bothering to put on any lights? Would you be able to do that?

No, never have, but I'm not scared of the dark; it is what I might encounter that bothers me. I'm quite happy to be outside at night doing astronomy in the pitch black. Abduction by aliens scares me less.

Are you at all uncomfortable going to bed? Do you fall asleep easily? Do you awaken at night feeling apprehensive? Were you always slightly nervous (as a child for instance) in the dark or when alone in a house?

I sleep like a rock! No sleep problems.

If all the lights suddenly went out at night (e.g., nearby lightning-strike, local power failure) how would you cope? Would you light a candle or switch on a torch and continue about your business? Would you decide to have an early night? Or would you make a dash for your car and head for a friend's place?

Grab a torch. I love thunderstorms, and would probably go outside to watch it (as stupid as that is).

Do you look forward to going home or do you find reasons to delay leaving work? Do you invite others to your home when you'd actually rather be home alone? Do you enjoy being home alone and regard it as your favourite, secure retreat?

No probs there! It is clean, if a little untidy, but it wouldn't stop me inviting anyone over.

Are there occasions when at home when you feel particularly vulnerable? If so, have these occasions (e.g. taking a shower) always been slightly problematic for you, since childhood or since a specific event?

I don't feel vulnerable, it is worry about what I might encounter. A fear of the unknown for sure.

When you drive up to your house, what 'feeling' do you experience? How would you describe the house's 'atmosphere' from the outside? Has the house always appeared the same to you? Is there any way, in your opinion, that the house seems to have changed, even subtly? If so, are there reasonable explanations for same (for instance, trees maturing and obscuring it).

Hadn't really noticed! It feels empty (because it is, sans the odd burglar
).

How about when you walk into the house: does it feel 'good', 'neutral', or 'occupied'.

Hadn't noticed!

Is there any change in your mood after you enter the house?

Not really.

Do you find yourself putting on the stereo or tv the moment you walk in?

No.

Was there a time when the house felt really 'good'?

Not particularly.

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Can you recall anyone else making a remark about a 'feeling' in the house? Do people enjoy being in the house or staying for weekends, etc?

No remarks. People are happy to stay.

If you were able to do so, would you move from your house?

No.

I'll probably think of some other things I could have asked, the minute after I've posted this ... but it's a start.

Try to jot down an answer straight away, without analysing or second-guessing yourself.

Very tough for me to do; I analyze everything. I can't help it!

The answers are all there, in your mind.

Then, let's see what we can make of this situation :-)

As I was reading this, I was thinking "I wonder what you are getting at, psychologically". I know you are looking for traumatic events, or things of a more sinister nature, but nothing like that in my background.

As I wrote before, I never thought anything of it before until events of that one night last year. I had just put it down to tiredness, but tiredness doesn't close doors very loudly.

[edit on 26-2-2007 by mirageofdeceit]

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 09:12 PM
link   
If this is something you can do for yourself, the first thing I would do is get your head examined by a doctor to make sure you don't have any physical abnormalities that could be causing these feelings. The brain is a very delicate thing, capable of throwing us into powerful hallucinations among other things. I've had plenty of very convincing hallucinations,.... and although there are many people who experience these things, who knows what might be causing mine. The best thing you can do is eliminate any physical possibilities first. Next comes the psychological evaluation. If everything checks out,...... then you can consider "paranormal" possibilities. I'd still leave it open to medical conditions the doctors haven't discovered yet. Are you sure your house doesn't have any gas leaks,.. or some form of toxic chemicals that might induce these feelings? Do you note what you eat that day or week when you are experiencing these events? Do you note your stress level? Did you watch any type of movie or news broadcast just before? What was the weather like? All these things are important to consider. Maybe you'll find a pattern.
Sometimes I have the feeling that someone is watching me. There are nights when I feel very paranoid about it if I'm alone, especially when it is dark outside. Like I said, I've had plenty of scary things happen, I've actually seen things that sent me running out of a room..... it can feel incredibly real, but I can't tell you what those things are with any certainty. I can only imagine.
I'm not saying that there is no way you could be psychic, ...... I'm just saying it's best to look at the real possibilities first.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join