It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smartest Countries

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 04:11 PM
link   
I don't know about you, but I have always wondered which countries have the highest IQ averages. So here are a few links to check it out if you are interested.

www.iqcomparisonsite.com...

this is only in Europe, i couldn't find any US or Asian IQ averages that used the new system. These are the most recent tests i could find.

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Though IQ tests are hardly ever 100% accurate, this certainly does fullfill some of my curiosities.

Personally I score an average of 142... and I certainly don't think of myself as intelligent, just determined to know as much as I can.

The problem with IQ tests is there are so many different variables to take into account when talking about intelligence... mental reaction time, creativity, ingenuity, comprehension, the list goes on forever... a single number applied to this simply doesnt protray an induviduals intelligence accurately at all.

Whats with Japan using the Canadian comprehension system anyways? Why the Canadian test, wouldn't a country such as Japan have it's own methodology?

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 04:29 PM
link   
i was wondering the same thing. and why don't they mention India? i always figured India to have the best education system in the world.

one big surprise to me was Poland. I had no idea the average population scored so high compared to other countries people would most likely guess had an average bright population. Glad to see they are putting Soviet ocupation behind them and starting with the youth.

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 04:49 PM
link   
i also understand that an IQ test doesn't prove anything in terms of intelligence, but it does give you an overall view of the population. I wish there was a test that showed the results of most aspects of intelligence. Just absic knowledge i mean. History, math, English (language spoken in your country) and reasoning skills.

who knows, they might come up with one soon.

as for the langauge aspect, some languages are easier to understand and comprehend than others, so that conflicts the whole thing. Maybe they could have seperate tests for each subject.

anyone find the IQs in the Americas and Asia? post the link if you do. thanks

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 05:44 PM
link   
I find the average of 100 hard to believe, the last time I did my IQ was when I was 14 and it was 144 and I don't consider myself a genius, Id consider myself above average.

I find it hard to believe there are that many sub 100 IQs unless chavs are now forced to do the tests at school.

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 06:05 PM
link   
I wonder how belgium would be doing if the rates there were calculated seperate for the flemish and walloon parts.

If you look at how the netherlands are at the top of that listing and the french at the bottom and know belgium is half dutch and half french speaking :p

Another reason to dislike them frenchies down under hehehe.

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 08:05 PM
link   
I'm just glad to see Poland up that high. Hopefully enough of our smarties will stay in Poalnd and make a brighter future.

you call them the "French Down Under"? nice, never knew that

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 08:57 PM
link   
No, we call them "de walen" but geographicly speaking, they AND the actual french are down under belgium on the map.

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Really the only thing IQ tests show is how well the tested person does on that particular test. It's very hard to compare results from different tests among the same culture, let alone people from different cultures speaking different languages.

Also, by definition, the average IQ is 100.

[edit on 2/22/2007 by djohnsto77]

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Also to add (since it seems to come up here a lot), to be really have any meaning whatsoever, you have to take an IQ test that has throughly tested and is administered to you by a psychiatrist (a doctor of psychiatric medicine) in a very controlled environment. Plus they don't give you an exact number, they usually give a range with a percentage probability that your actual IQ falls within that range.

Something you found in a magazine or on the Internet simply isn't accurate at all.

[edit on 2/22/2007 by djohnsto77]

posted on Feb, 23 2007 @ 11:50 AM
link   
I find it irony that people try and categorize people with IQ tests yet as others stated, they fail misserably. When I was in high school I was in the top 10% hands down for 3 years running (transfered from another a year before going into the last one) and bombed the state tests and the like. I was in the top 10% yet the state said I was so stupid I was below a garbage man. Here is the funny thing: I talked to other teachers who took the tests at the time and they all said the same thing: they were given garbage man level of intelligence yet they became nurses, teachers, proffesors, etc. The testing system is beyond flawed, fact. People react differently to everything, I am sure I could give a scenario for real life and get some intelligent and idiotic statements. However from what I have seen in life the ones who pranced around the school going "I have the highest IQ" are some of the most backwards and idiotic people I have met, they could not make a real life decision if their life depended on it. Also most of them flip burgers in my area now and are drug addicts. So much for the IQ huh? The ones who did not do so hot are the ones who are going or went to college.

posted on Feb, 24 2007 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Didnt see Romania on there, and my grandfather is an original world record scientist! He is the first, and only of my knowledge, in his work of titanium. Smart people come from every part of the world, and it depends on what their knowledge expands the most in. I show the most skill/knowledge or what have you in the arts than anything else despite my grandfather and my uncle both being scientists. Really is no most intellegent country in my book. I think it also depends on what you choose to look into, if I studied science I might show skill in it but it just isnt my thing.

posted on Feb, 25 2007 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
Something you found in a magazine or on the Internet simply isn't accurate at all.

That is why I once had a score of around 150 in IQ test on the Internet.

The test was so badly put together that what was most tested was the knowledge of the English language, and even I, with my limited knowledge could achieve a high score.

posted on Feb, 25 2007 @ 03:07 PM
link   
That actualy goes both ways.

You can have higher official scores then online test scores because of the soddy nature of the online tests.

Like this one test I took for fun once that had rather religious flavored questions in the mix, which I nearly all failed because my view on things is different.

Only reason I took the test was because I heard complaints from people that stated that there were religious elements intertwined with the IQ test, which skewed the results to be more favorable for people who took that specific religious doctrine as fact.

I know what my score is and I'm well above average and I goto say that there are plenty of people who have a far lower IQ then me that easely make more money and have a much easyer life then I do.

posted on Feb, 25 2007 @ 11:40 PM
link   
I remmeber reading about that... a book about IQ around the world... The highest were in East Asia and Western Europe with the lowest in majority being in Africa.

Knowing that 70 IQ is considered mentally retarded here in the U.S., i was deeply doubtful that many nations in Africa's AVG. IQ was 70, some even lower. Just something shocking...

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Take note that these results are from 1981.

I was looking through the list and was like, wait, Chechoslovakia doesn't exist anymore.

The test starts with people that are aged 16. So this is 26 years later, and those 16 year olds are 42, and everyone else even older.

Do we see any results that come from have nearly 30 years of time for those high IQs to be active in the country (or really, the city being studied)?

Has the city of Amsterdam, for example, seen any benefit from having 30 years worth of high IQ people living in it, compared to Paris?

Also, it appears that the test is set up so that the american average is 100, its all standardized around the average for america, which is given a value of 100. So from Madrid and up, you have higher average iqs than for the US.

As far as Asia:

www.iqcomparisonsite.com...
On average, children from Asian countries get about a 107 IQ relative to American norms.

Which puts them between Stockholm and Warsaw.

[edit on 26-2-2007 by Nygdan]

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 05:16 PM
link   
There are so many IQ tests, it is hard to compare and all scores are different. The one used by Ed Psych's in Northern Ireland only scores up too 150.
IQ tests are not done routinely here. Only if there are concerns by the teacher. My son was being assessed for dyspraxia, basically because of poor presentation and handwriting. Also disorganised and chaotic.
The teacher did a IQ test and it was 127. After referral to developmental Paed and they saw him, he was referred to Ed Psych. He had an IQ of 138 with them.
Different tests, different score!
I asked about the score and the Ed Psych said that he was "Brilliant but not enough to be odd."
My daughter was also tested aged 7 for giftedness/brilliance but she only scored 108.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 03:18 PM
link   
all i can say that Poland was the first country in the world to have a general board of education or what ever they called it in 18 or 17 centry when it was started, and the other thing was if we were stupid, why the russian killed polish officers and general, during ww2, we were too smart for them, lol

top topics

join