It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dead Man Found Watching TV, After a Year

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2007 @ 02:49 PM
link   
A dead man was found sitting in front of his turned-on TV after authorities were notified about burst pipes in his home flooding the area. It is thought that he was sitting on his couch dead in front of the TV for about a year before he was discovered. Due to the dry conditions in his home, his body was mummified and very well preserved.

www.foxnews.com
HAMPTON BAYS, N.Y. — Vincenzo 'Vinnie' Ricardo was the proverbial tree that fell in the forest: No one knew.

From what police in Hampton Bays, N.Y., can determine, the 70-year-old was sitting alone watching TV in his modest home when he died.

That was more than a year ago, and when workers were summoned to his house last week after a report that freezing temperatures had caused the home's pipes to burst, they found Ricardo's mummified body still sitting on the couch, the TV still on.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is a really sad story. It shows how some old people are just being ignored when they don't have family or friends nearby to check on them. As the article says, I'm mystified how the electricity remained on without being paid.

Related News Links:
www.msnbc.msn.com

[edit on 2/17/2007 by djohnsto77]

posted on Feb, 17 2007 @ 04:32 PM
link   
There is just one electric company on Long Island so I use the same electric company he would have and I have my bills paid automatically from my checking account - perhaps he did also -and if he had had gas heat instead of oil (the electric and Gas company are in the same building with just different names) the pipes probably wouldn't have burst and they still wouldn't know --

btw he is the second person in that area that was found like that - another person was found a year ago one town over. He did have people checking on him but he pushed them away to the point of putting a note on his door that he wouldn't answer the door and if people wanted to he could leave him a message - which he never answered - so after awhile friends and family stopped going by there. And neighbors thought when his lawn grew up that he was in a nursing home or something. The officials tried to put a date to his death by the sell by date of things in his refrigerator ... Sad ...

posted on Feb, 17 2007 @ 05:09 PM
link   

There is just one electric company on Long Island so I use the same electric company he would have and I have my bills paid automatically from my checking account

That sounds logical. He may have had social security on direct deposit to the same account, so he could have probably remained there for a lot longer until anyone noticed.

posted on Feb, 17 2007 @ 06:37 PM
link   
He probably did the same with the cable company since the tv was still on and playing also. And like you said if he had direct deposit of pension or social security the money went in and money went out no one would have known.

top topics

join