It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's good about your country?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2007 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Tell me whats good about your country and whats wrong. I live in the Uk its got a great history, the cradle of Democracy, were a land of inventors, great writers, artists and musiciens, its people are well educated and well travelled. We are on the whole quite a tollerant society and a melting pot of many cultures.

Downside is we have some serious social issue's to deal with and we need to stop fighting wars against people who are not a threat to us. ANd we need to control the big brother issue.

(MOD EDIT: Corrected spelling in title)

[edit on 5/15/2007 by thelibra]

posted on Feb, 17 2007 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Australia is a great place to live....

We have allowed our unique culture to be smothered by other cultures to the point of enclaves in our suburbs that make Aussies (second, third or more generations) feel like aliens in their own country.

Our PM is truly inspirational and a man of the people !! He has managed to ensure that most people have jobs in Oz...never mind that some people only get 8 hours work a week...still got a job and need to ask for help from family to supplement their incomes. All those lazy incapacitated people in wheelchairs, the mentally ill and the really old just need to get off their butts and get a job like the rest of us. Makes me proud to be an Aussie.

He is such a character, our PM. Always playing the sycophant, toadying up to George Dubya. I think selling uranium to assist in the manufacturer of WMD for the bogus WOT is such a smart move...we have Big Brother on side and I am feeling just peachy about that too !! Many families are just overjoyed that their loved ones will be going to Iraq or a similar theatre of war in support of the US WOT. It is just chest busting to know that when you join the Australian Army you have the added benefit of pledging allegiance to the Stars and Stripes. So happy my son is going to war for America.

It is a wonderful thing to be able to buy a home in Oz. Interest rates and the cost of housing are now prohibitive and many young couples and those in lower socio economic groups may never realise this dream. Well done. It make sense to control the masses and prevent them from moving around too much. This form of social control is necessary because as a mass of 'sheeple' we need to be told what to do, where to live. Rental properties are very scarce and very pricey, public housing is virtually non existent, although many are vacant or in disrepair. We need to have more people living in the streets, seeking handouts, sleeping under cardboard and looking forward to Christmas dinner at the soup kitchen.

I love the money I can save buying cheap overseas goods from third world countries that break, have unintelligible instructions and no quality control backup. But hey, what the hell I am helping to support a worker who makes 80cents an hour, I should be happy to do this and forego helping my own family and the Australian economy.

I could go on and on...I will not.

Lets just say I am totally disgusted to be an Australian at this point in time.

On the globe at the very bottom there is a large mass...shaped like a doormat.

Australia was great place...

[edit on 17-2-2007 by resistancia]

posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 11:38 AM
link   
I live in the United States and it is a wonderful place to live.

I dont know if I can really list all the best things about our country, but I will try. I suppose one of the most remarkable things about the US is that you can travel to different parts of the country and get an almsot totally different sub-culture of Americans.

If you got to the east coast you can see different groups that came from europe and blended into a whole new sub-culture. In the mountains of Carolina you can see the celtic traditions in those people, same as blue grass type music. If you go to pensylvania, you can see the german quaker influence. If you went to New Orleans you can get a mix of french colonialism with carribean influences. In Florida, you have some spanish influences. Out west, you can see heavy native american influences. The diversity of Americans is truly amazing and all within a few days drive.

I also think our style of government, our bill of rights, etc. has heavily influenced other places in the world.

Even with our short history, We have a great deal to be pride ourselves on. The first powered flight at kittyhawk, the development of rocketry in the new mexico desert coupled with atomic research, NASA and it's museum. the list goes on.

I dont think I could even begin to scratch the surface of how great this country is.

posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 12:25 PM
link   
For England my favourite thing is still the beauty and almost mystical quality of the countryside, a sense of the multilayered history and the lives lived there, continuity and change going hand in hand.

posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 12:47 PM
link   
America, the land of the oppressed and the home of the large amount of ordanence!

Yes boys and girls America despite all of its folly is still a great country. This country is still great because we have the ability to create large amounts of bombs and other munitions to blow large holes in small countries. This is the only nation on earth that can go invade a soverin nation for no good reason and spin it so that it is acceptable to everyone.

This is also the country that with a straight face said "We will be welcomed as liborators" in a country that overall hates us. Yes that is America for you all. Hated by the world but tick us off and we will paint your name on a bomb.

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 04:34 PM
link   
High Resi, yes I know exactly what you mean, the same is happening here, whilst I'm all for a mixed culture it should not smother the traditions and rights of the indigenous poulation.

Xphile yes Foreign Policy asise America has and dose offer so much to many people although there seems to be growing concern re joining with Canada and Mexico. Both myself and my wife have family in the States although we have not visited the country yet but are hoping to do so this year.

Yes Uber we have thousands of years of history and culture.

What, we all have a cross to bare and for all what many think of your country millions visit every year and millions want to live there especially mexicans

posted on Mar, 4 2007 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by XphilesPhan

I dont know if I can really list all the best things about our country, but I will try. I suppose one of the most remarkable things about the US is that you can travel to different parts of the country and get an almsot totally different sub-culture of Americans.

If you got to the east coast you can see different groups that came from europe and blended into a whole new sub-culture. In the mountains of Carolina you can see the celtic traditions in those people, same as blue grass type music. If you go to pensylvania, you can see the german quaker influence. If you went to New Orleans you can get a mix of french colonialism with carribean influences. In Florida, you have some spanish influences. Out west, you can see heavy native american influences. The diversity of Americans is truly amazing and all within a few days drive.

I also think our style of government, our bill of rights, etc. has heavily influenced other places in the world.

Even with our short history, We have a great deal to be pride ourselves on. The first powered flight at kittyhawk, the development of rocketry in the new mexico desert coupled with atomic research, NASA and it's museum. the list goes on.

I dont think I could even begin to scratch the surface of how great this country is.

I second that.
Well said.

posted on Mar, 4 2007 @ 06:13 PM
link   
You forgot to point out the great cars you have there like the Commodore SS and the Ford Falcon GT. I have to wait another year or more before the Holden comes to the US as the Pontiac G-8.

posted on Mar, 4 2007 @ 06:32 PM
link   
the good part about america?

it would have to be the first amendment

freedom of speech
freedom of the presses
seperation of church and state. so freedom of and from religion

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 08:26 AM
link   
The best thing about my country: Scotland is this: We're on the right side of the border with england

Joking, I'm actually happy that we have so many great loch's and forests.

Bad thing about scotland: The SNP, NEDS.

posted on Apr, 21 2007 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Yes Devil Scotland is a wonderful place wifey and I have had many good holidays there, the people are friendly and its nice to be in a part of the Isles free from the madness of modern life.

posted on Apr, 21 2007 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by magicmushroom
Tell me whats good about your country and whats wrong. I live in the Uk its got a great history, the cradle of Democracy, were a land of inventors, great writers, artists and musiciens, its people are well educated and well travelled. We are on the whole quite a tollerant society and a melting pot of many cultures.

Downside is we have some serious social issue's to deal with and we need to stop fighting wars against people who are not a threat to us. ANd we need to control the big brother issue.

I thought you was from "The Ultra World"?

XXtomXx

posted on Apr, 22 2007 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Tom, we all have a phyisical body that resides here on Earth but we also posses at spirit within us that moves through different dimmensions etc. our bodies are just a shell that the spirit dwells in.

posted on Apr, 22 2007 @ 05:55 PM
link   
i cant beleive that nobody mentioned canada yet. We are the crown of north america. we have more natural resources inside our borders than any other country. fresh water especially. we have everything here.

there is canada, then there is british columbia. that place is in a realm of its own. toronto people always bitch about it, but thats cause they know b.c is the best and they dont live there.

we have all but one (cant remember which) natural wonders right here in bc. we have glaciers, we have desserts, we have rainforests, canyons, the rockie mountains (way better than collorado's) white sandy beaches, and the hottest chicks in the world, cause they are from all over the world.

No.5 road in Richmond BC has every church that you can think of on one street over a 2km stretch. its dubbed the highway to heavan.

the RCMP are awsome. Ontario is messed up, they have like three or four police forces, but other than there, things are pretty well under control.
i always got annoyed watching different police forces argue over the same perp.

we are a locked down police state, but if you asked anyone, they wouldn't know that and everyone is relatively happy.

we got the best [SNIP].

Mod edit: Terms & Conditions Of Use – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 13-5-2007 by sanctum]

posted on Apr, 23 2007 @ 08:22 AM
link   
America is a wonderful place to live. So is Spain, so is Sweden. There are many wonderful places to live in the world. Once the people of earth realize this, they won't be jealous of the U.S.
Mexico is a wonderful country, yet Mexican flock here by the thousands. Why? They have a wonderful country, with 1000's of miles of beachline and a rich history.
The problems with our government are not exclusive to the U.S. They exist all over the world. The sooner we stop trying to seperate ourselves, and realize we are ALL in this together, the sooner we can get on with life.
My favorite spot in the United States? My home.

posted on May, 11 2007 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by resistancia
Australia is a great place to live....

We have allowed our unique culture to be smothered by other cultures to the point of enclaves in our suburbs that make Aussies (second, third or more generations) feel like aliens in their own country.

[edit on 17-2-2007 by resistancia]

I whole hartedly have to agree with you as a fellow aussie!
You should try living in Sringvale in Melbourne where i live, the community is full of Muslims and Asians not that im a racist im just sick of being the only white guy on my whole FRIGGIN STREET!

posted on May, 11 2007 @ 11:37 AM
link   
alright, now that i'm going to be going back to malta, i'm going to have to change my post.

what's great about malta?

everyone is laid back
more walking and public transport that car driving
phenomenal food
thousands of years of history
amazing neolithic sights
amazing punic sights
amazing roman sights
amazing medieval sights
great museums
great people
beautiful scenery
universal healthcare system
ranked #2 in the world for healthcare

my only real complaint about the country is that it has an official state religion

posted on May, 12 2007 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by tom goose
i cant beleive that nobody mentioned canada yet. We are the crown of north america. we have more natural resources inside our borders than any other country. fresh water especially. we have everything here.

there is canada, then there is british columbia. that place is in a realm of its own. toronto people always bitch about it, but thats cause they know b.c is the best and they dont live there.

we have all but one (cant remember which) natural wonders right here in bc. we have glaciers, we have desserts, we have rainforests, canyons, the rockie mountains (way better than collorado's) white sandy beaches, and the hottest chicks in the world, cause they are from all over the world.

No.5 road in Richmond BC has every church that you can think of on one street over a 2km stretch. its dubbed the highway to heavan.

the RCMP are awsome. Ontario is messed up, they have like three or four police forces, but other than there, things are pretty well under control.
i always got annoyed watching different police forces argue over the same perp.

we are a locked down police state, but if you asked anyone, they wouldn't know that and everyone is relatively happy.

we got the best pot.

ahhh no the RCMP suck
thats whats bad with canada...

locked down police state...hell the amerians own us.

good point you forgot to mention
universal health care.
Canada beer.
Canada wine.
both as good as Canadian pot.

[edit on 12-5-2007 by junglelord]

posted on May, 13 2007 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Black_Fox

Originally posted by XphilesPhan

I second that.
Well said.

And a third.
I am immensely proud of what this nation has become, even if it's a little misguided at times.

posted on May, 15 2007 @ 09:58 AM
link   
There are so many great things about the US but what stands out for me is the people. I love the people in the US as has been mentioned in a previous post there are so many sub-cultures here that can be experienced within a few days or hours drive. My favorite group would be the cowboy/girls a more downhome and straight up group you'll never find.

I've been fortunate enough to travel and in every country I've ever gone to the people are what makes each one great. I loved the Scots, Irish, British; the Greeks were great. You know I can't think of a group of people I haven't liked.

Still when all is said and done even with our problems the place I love best is the American Northwest home.

new topics

top topics

join